DC
Options

Lonley in the DC Area

So I moved to the DC area to be with my FI a couple of months ago and am really lonely.  My FI works evenings (he gets home around 11 or so) and I work normal hours.  I knew before I moved that he wouldn't be home a lot but I thought it would be easier to make friends.  I'm not religous so finding a church or temple is out.  Any sugestion on how to meet some new people to hang out with in the DC area.

Re: Lonley in the DC Area

• Options
    GJones27GJones27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I know how you feel.  I once moved for work to Europe, and it was really hard for me to meet new people.  DC, though, is a great place to meet young professionals!  Check out some of the kickball clubs (it's a bit like a frat, as people like to drink while playing), but people enjoy them.  Also check out the DC International Club -- they have numerous outings every week but you have to pay. 

You could join a volunteer organization based off your interests.  Young people get involved here in DC.  You could do a gym class or a book club.  I do know they have running clubs around here, for example.  Alumni organizations could be a way for you to meet people from your old college.

I hope you find something around here!  It definitely takes time, but at least you have your FI nearby.  Good luck!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I was going to suggest kickball, too.  I thought it seemed kinda silly when I first moved here, but the adult kickball intramural teams are pretty big around the DC area.  A lot of the teams play on the Mall and have a "home bar" as a sponsor where everyone hangs out afterwards.

You could also find something to take a class in - photography, cake decorating, another language, etc. - just to get out of the house and meet people with similar interests.

Do you have any co-workers around your age that you would want to hang out with outside of work?  You could always try inviting a group of co-workers to happy hour - I met a lot of people that way, especially when those people started bringing other people to happy hours as well.

Good luck.  It's tough at first to be in a new city, but after a while it will get easier. 
    Vacation

Vacation
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    first off, welcome to the area! and i'm sorry that you're feeling lonely. i agree with the other girls, extracurricular team sports are very popular around here. FI plays flag football in the northern virginia leagues and it's a great way to meet people and also get some exercise!

DC is very transient and there's a lot of people out here who probably share your same situation. i hate to say it, but sometimes, just going to happy hour and striking up convos with bartenders and other patrons is a good way to get the scoop on the area and meet people as well.

this website may help too - http://www.prosinthecity.com/dcevents.php. this group hosts lots of meetups and activities that you may also find interesting. good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Try meetup.com
  • Options
    VickyFlorVickyFlor member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Abell,
    My wedding was last week and I feel like I have learned a lot thanks to the ladies on this forum.  Of course, I don't know what to do with all this information (if only I knew then what I know now).  Anyway, I know you are in the middle of planning a wedding too, so perhaps we could plan a little metro accessible DC knottie GTG?  I wouldn't mind the chance to decompress.  And, it is great to meet other knotties. 

• Options
    edited December 2011

Hi abell1015:

I am in the exact situation! My fiance got a promotion and transfered here about 6 months ago and we both packed up and moved here (luckily i can transfer with my job as well). He is in Hotel Management and also works evenings and gets off around midnight and i work a standard 9-5. We only see each other on weekends.

What we did was join a group from our home town. We are from New Orleans and we joined LSS here in DC which stands for Louisiana State Society. Maybe you could look into that. I find it really difficult to make friends here. I miss the southern hospitality from back home. LSS has helped us a lot. They have events all the time which makes it easy to meet folks. We also joined our colleges alumni out here which is another option.

We have also joined a gym but havent had any success that way but i just started going to the organized classes which may help as well.

I think kickball is a good idea. I live in Dupont circle and see them all the time after there games and I just feel so old around them! ha! i feel if i was younger it would be something i would be interested in (I am 29)! ha!

I am up for knottie GTG anytime friends!

Hope this helps!! believe me, i know how tough it is! ha!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    knitgirl13knitgirl13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm in the same boat.  My fiance just got a new job working nights and weekend days, and I'm stuck with a 9-5 office job that I can hardly stand.  It's been taking its toll on us pretty hard, especially with the stress of wedding planning and expenses.  Let me know if you'd like to plan something! knitgirl13 at gmail
    Anniversary
  • Options
    abell1015abell1015 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would love to plan a get together in the DC are, the next week is bad for me as today is my 30th birthday and am heading out of town tomorrow but anytime after next weekend works for me.
  • Options
    mybooboosmybooboos member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_dc_lonley-dc-area?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:57Discussion:e03a1f30-7ec0-4a8b-ba05-0b4838cede46Post:bba145c4-e97c-442a-a9cf-ddb150252cdd">Re: Lonley in the DC Area</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would love to plan a get together in the DC are, the next week is bad for me as <strong>today is my 30th birthday</strong> and am heading out of town tomorrow but anytime after next weekend works for me.
    Posted by abell1015[/QUOTE]

Happy Birthday to you!!  Enjoy your weekend.  Sounds like a GTG is definitely called for.
    Presentation is everything!! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    VickyFlorVickyFlor member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yay!  My email is pattyz97 at aol.com. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards