Wedding Party
Options

bridesmaids' gift

Does anybody have any suggestions for something I can give my bridesmaids?
Also, when am I supposed to give them this gift?  Before the wedding, or the day after?

Re: bridesmaids' gift

• Options
    edited February 2013
    I got my BM's all waffle weave spa robes in the color of their dresses with a large monogram of their first initial. My reasoning was that since the ladies will be getting ready and spending the whole morning at my family's house (hairdresser is coming over, breakfast will be served, etc.) I figured this would be perfect and comfy for them, and they can wear it over and over. It is related to the day, but not too wedding-ish that they will never use it again.

I also plan on putting little "hair certificates" with their gifts because I will be paying for them all to get their hair done as well. My cousin did this once and I thought it was a wonderful gift to us all since we spent a lot of money already on BM dresses, the shower, the bachelorette party, etc.. I am sure you know what I mean. It was really appreciated.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_bridesmaids-gift-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:13ab4649-5dba-4e68-bd33-54468ef55bddPost:ef6c8360-0cb2-4415-a7e1-e3ee276c4c22">Re: bridesmaids' gift</a>:
    [QUOTE]Give her something that you would normally give her for her birthday or Christmas. <strong> If you give her something to wear or use for the wedding, that does not "count" as a gift, but part of her wedding day outfit</strong>. Also remember that you can get each woman something different.
    Posted by TXKristan[/QUOTE]

That's an interesting point.  Most of the weddings I have been in, I was given jewelry as part of the BM gift.  The jewelry coordinated with our dresses, but that was not the only gift item.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_bridesmaids-gift-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:13ab4649-5dba-4e68-bd33-54468ef55bddPost:f7169ee4-47f9-40f2-a691-fd3d01653ff4">Re: bridesmaids' gift</a>:
    [QUOTE]I got my BM's all waffle weave spa robes in the color of their dresses with a large monogram of their first initial. My reasoning was that since the ladies will be getting ready and spending the whole morning at my family's house (hairdresser is coming over, breakfast will be served, etc.) I figured this would be perfect and comfy for them, and they can wear it over and over. It is related to the day, but not too wedding-ish that they will never use it again. I also plan on putting little "hair certificates" with their gifts because I will be paying for them all to get their hair done as well. My cousin did this once and I thought it was a wonderful gift to us all since we spent a lot of money already on BM dresses, the shower, the bachelorette party, etc.. I am sure you know what I mean. It was really appreciated.
    Posted by brittblaz[/QUOTE]

I don't want to sound mean, but are you getting your girls anything that isn't related to your wedding?  Becasue everything you listed is really a gift to yourself then it is to your girls.  The robes are so you all can look cute together while the "hair certificates" are so all your girls can look good in your wedding pictures.  What is the gift to them exactly?  What is it that you are giving them that is personal and geared towards each girls likes and hobbies?  Those are the kind of gifts that should be given, not items that are meant to be used solely on the wedding day.

• Options
    So I am getting the sense from some of you all that the gift should be representative of the friendship with each bridesmaid and something the woman would like to receive.  Is this correct?
  • Options
    Again, I am looking for suggestions.  Anything in a list form would be helpful.
    Please refrain from arguing amongst yourselves.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_bridesmaids-gift-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:13ab4649-5dba-4e68-bd33-54468ef55bddPost:c8cc73ad-262a-45b7-bd86-e457da2f0720">Re: bridesmaids' gift</a>:
    [QUOTE]Again, I am looking for suggestions.  Anything in a list form would be helpful. Please refrain from arguing amongst yourselves.
    Posted by ccvasquez[/QUOTE]

Are you a preschool teacher?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_bridesmaids-gift-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:13ab4649-5dba-4e68-bd33-54468ef55bddPost:5c786fb9-2662-4622-8110-5388d1e7875f">bridesmaids' gift</a>:
    [QUOTE]Does anybody have any suggestions for something I can give my bridesmaids? Also, when am I supposed to give them this gift?  Before the wedding, or the day after?

Im thinking about giving them something from LUSH, a bottle of whatever wine/liquer they like (my BMs drink alot) along with their jewelry, and Im paying for their hair. I also thought about getting them each a cute little clutch to keep their stuff in for the day, but Id pick a different one out for each girl, depending on their style/interests/etc.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_bridesmaids-gift-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:13ab4649-5dba-4e68-bd33-54468ef55bddPost:c8cc73ad-262a-45b7-bd86-e457da2f0720">Re: bridesmaids' gift</a>:
    [QUOTE]Again, I am looking for suggestions.  Anything in a list form would be helpful. Please refrain from arguing amongst yourselves.

Seriously, you are reprimanding us?  No one is arguing but we are stating our opinions about what others post.  That is called a discussion, not an argument.

As for giving you a list, we really can't.  We don't know your BMs, you do.  If it were Christmas what would you get each of them?  It it were their birthdays, what would you get them?  This isn't rocket science.  Take the fact that it is for being in your wedding out of the equation.  If you were to just buy your friends a gift what would those gifts be?

• Options
    What is the proper ettiquette related to bridesmaids jewelry?  Should a bride give her maids jewelry to wear for the wedding, separate from the bridesmaid's gift, or is that rude?

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_bridesmaids-gift-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:13ab4649-5dba-4e68-bd33-54468ef55bddPost:dd8eed1a-5fe5-4bec-ba18-d1192da71da5">Re: bridesmaids' gift</a>:
    [QUOTE]What is the proper ettiquette related to bridesmaids jewelry?  Should a bride give her maids jewelry to wear for the wedding, separate from the bridesmaid's gift, or is that rude?
    Posted by cmsciulli[/QUOTE]

Jewelry that the BMs wear for the wedding is NOT a gift. It is part of the wedding attire. While I think you can give then at the same time, you should make it clear that the jewelry is not the gift. I would suggest not wrapping it, just hand it out. Wrap whatever you plan on giving as their gift so that they known the difference.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_bridesmaids-gift-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:13ab4649-5dba-4e68-bd33-54468ef55bddPost:7259f5f3-b9b9-4b62-8dec-5ec28f822f2a">Re: bridesmaids' gift</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: bridesmaids' gift : <strong>Jewelry that the BMs wear for the wedding is NOT a gift.</strong> It is part of the wedding attire. While I think you can give then at the same time, you should make it clear that the jewelry is not the gift. I would suggest not wrapping it, just hand it out. Wrap whatever you plan on giving as their gift so that they known the difference.
    Posted by KatWAG[/QUOTE]

Yep, I get that, makes total sense- Anything given to the BM's related to the wedding (jewelry, clutches, robes, etc.) is not a gift, since they are accessories for <em>your</em> wedding.

I just wanted to make sure giving them jewelry to wear separate from the actual gift wasn't considered a rude imposition or anything, and on the flip side I don't want to commit a faux pas by <em>not</em> giving them jewelry.

Thanks!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_bridesmaids-gift-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:13ab4649-5dba-4e68-bd33-54468ef55bddPost:0a97b98e-3996-40de-8d0b-9c03e8722172">Re: bridesmaids' gift</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: bridesmaids' gift : Yep, I get that, makes total sense- Anything given to the BM's related to the wedding (jewelry, clutches, robes, etc.) is not a gift, since they are accessories for your wedding. I just wanted to make sure giving them jewelry to wear separate from the actual gift wasn't considered a rude imposition or anything, and on the flip side I don't want to commit a faux pas by not giving them jewelry. Thanks!

There is no rule stating that you can or cannot give your BMs jewelry.  If you want them all to wear the exact same pieces then by all means purchase them jewelry.  But if you don't care what they wear let them pick something they may already own or purchase whatever they want.  But no it is not a faux pas to not give them any jewelry.  It is solely up to your discretion as to what you want to do.

As for me, I didn't give my BMs any jewelry and they just wore what they wanted.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_bridesmaids-gift-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:13ab4649-5dba-4e68-bd33-54468ef55bddPost:613f8516-8249-494f-a041-3b87de745bae">Re: bridesmaids' gift</a>:
    [QUOTE]So I am getting the sense from some of you all that the gift should be representative of the friendship with each bridesmaid and something the woman would like to receive.  Is this correct?

<div>A gift should always be something the person would like to receive, no matter what the occasion. </div>
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_bridesmaids-gift-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:13ab4649-5dba-4e68-bd33-54468ef55bddPost:dd8eed1a-5fe5-4bec-ba18-d1192da71da5">Re: bridesmaids' gift</a>:
    [QUOTE]What is the proper ettiquette related to bridesmaids jewelry?  Should a bride give her maids jewelry to wear for the wedding, separate from the bridesmaid's gift, or is that rude?

<div>
    </div><div>I'd love to answer this, but I'm sorry. We're not allowed to discuss anything in this thread except what the OP's bridesmaids would like as a gift, which clearly we should know. </div>
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_bridesmaids-gift-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:13ab4649-5dba-4e68-bd33-54468ef55bddPost:d0ec1e53-c383-49f5-9528-01058f7d0cb4">Re: bridesmaids' gift</a>:
    [QUOTE]Those of you who are buying robes for "getting ready photos" should ask your bridesmaids how they feel about being photographed in their underwear, or their robes, first. For me that's a big fat NO.
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

Ditto!

• Options
    Omg a waffle weave robe with my first initial on it sounds like a nightmare and I would NEVER wear that again. Great gift idea....... not.
    158 Invited image | 68 will be there image |6 can't make it image | 84 still need to reply! image
    RSVP Deadline: 4/6/13
    4/26/13 March Siggy Challenge: Bridesmaid Dresses

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    And I hate that reasoning "they can use it for getting ready but then still use it after the wedding!" Guess what, monogrammed things stopped being cool in elementary school. I know what my name is, I don't need to check my makeup bag to remind myself what letter it starts with. All the bride cares about is getting cute photos of these type of gifts, not what their bridesmaid actually prefers. 

Picture their Christmas wish list. What would they put on there? Pick something you can afford and buy that. 
    158 Invited image | 68 will be there image |6 can't make it image | 84 still need to reply! image
    RSVP Deadline: 4/6/13
    4/26/13 March Siggy Challenge: Bridesmaid Dresses

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_bridesmaids-gift-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:13ab4649-5dba-4e68-bd33-54468ef55bddPost:530100c4-8787-4ab6-9ab0-83b66d45c035">Re: bridesmaids' gift</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: bridesmaids' gift : The certificate is (and I am trying to say this as nicely as possible) self-serving. You're paying for the women's hair to look good for your wedding and pictures.  This is of no benefit to the women.  If I were a bridesmaid and decided to do my own hair (which I did for the most recent wedding I was in), would you be upset?  (two of my three bridesmaids did their own hair for my wedding and it looked great!).  Perhaps you could say that the women can use the gift certificate for the day of the wedding pampering or for another time if she'd like. Is this a certificate to a day spa or salon? I would at least suggest doing it for nails since a good manicure last longer than a hairstyle. The point of the gift is to thank them for being a part of your wedding, not to help them as they continue to be your bridesmaid.  I got each of mine a wine glass that I painted for them as well as a nice bag ( <a href="http://www.thirtyonegifts.com/Catalog/Product/27/index.html" rel="nofollow">http://www.thirtyonegifts.com/Catalog/Product/27/index.html</a> ).  One of my BMs has 3 kids, one is a nanny, and the other teaches dance (and they all drink wine).  The bags are something that I have found useful and I thought they would as well (and not just for packing their makeup for the wedding).
    Posted by TXKristan[/QUOTE]

I guess for some it isn't customary to do this. But in my family and with any wedding ive been in, all the girls get their hair done at a salon on the day of. It's a big deal for all the women to be together, get their hair done, eat breakfast, etc. It was a beautiful gesture that my cousin paid for all of us because it saved us money and I appreciated that gift. I guess some people might not see it that way, but I didn't take that negatively. Sorry if that offends anyone here. Didn't mean to do that.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards