Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

cake topper...is this OK?

Our cake is going to be white fondant with some fuschia silhouette flowers on it. I love my chocolate lab willard, I posted some pics of him earlier today.  So FI and I want to put a mini willard on top of our cake, with a marzipan bow tie and top hat.No big deal, right?  But my mom asks me about the cake topper every single time I talk to her, and she keeps telling me what a bad idea it is.  Is putting a replica of my dog on top of the wedding cake a bad idea?[img]http://www.tinyurl.com/mwr54c[/img]

Re: cake topper...is this OK?

• Options
    Nms is fine.  glaringly inappropriate is what I want to make sure I'm avoiding here. I like whimsical cake toppers, I think my mom may just be saying this b/c she's older and isn't use to them.
  • Options
    NMS, but sure, you can do it. The people who know you best will get it - they know you love your dog. I'd put a little fuschia ribbon around his neck to make him blend with your cake decorations.
  • Options
    Are you planning on eating the topper...  because that would be wierd.
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I love it! Definitely my style =)I think he should be a chocolate chocolate lab (as in made out of chocolate) or would that be too bizarre to eat a replica of your dog? I've been watching too many cake shows.I think Willard on top of your cake is adorable and might mention this idea to my FI because I want to incorporate our dogs into the reception as well.
  • Options
    I think some people get caught up in handing it down through generations, etc. As long as you don't think you'll get really sad when you look at pictures of your cake after your pupster passes away, I say go it.  
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    I think it's adorable. I think the cake topper is def. something to have fun with, why spend extra $$ on flowers that no one will remember, when you can have something that completley represents the two of you?
  • Options
    mmmm chocolate and marzipan mmmm I think it is fine. How about adding your monogram to the top hat or a " the DC's name" to say a sign the lab is biting
  • Options
    yeah, the topper will be chocolate!  I told my mom today that I was going to include a pool of yellow food coloring on the cake near where the chocolate dog was sitting.  She didn't appreciate that :)
  • Options
    I don't see the big deal? It's kinda fun
  • Options
    NMS, but there's nothing inappropriate about it.  It could be quite cute!
  • Options
    meh, my mom's kind of a pain and I think I needed some reinforcement that I wasn't going nuts.A side note is that I'm a little bit worried she might be losing her mind right now.  She's 68.  I called her today and asked her what she was up to and she said she had been at school earlier (she hasn't taken a class in years); a few months ago she asked me if I was inviting her aunt to the wedding, but this aunt died 5 years ago.  I guess it may be time to tell dad to take her to the neurologist's.
  • Options
    ac, that sounds really scary with your mom.  I definitely think you should talk to your dad about a check-up for her.  It's so difficult to think and talk about, but she's unfortunately getting to an age where some of those problems can arise.
  • Options
    i think adding something personal to the cake is becoming more and more popular! i think its a cute idea! another thought i had is you guys could have a mini cake beside your cake and put the dog topper on that one?
  • Options
    it's nms, but i feel you could find one a lot cuter than the one posted that would change my mind.
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    there was a sugar version of my cat sitting on the cake board- my baker didnt think it was fair that the dogs got to be in the wedding while he stayed home so she insisted on adding him (not that I really objected). That being said, the chocolate dog is a great idea, I'd skip the bow tie and top hat to avoid taking it from cute to lame.
  • Options
    I just saw an episode of Ace of Cakes where the bride had replicas made of her 2 horses and they were on either side of the bottom layer, looking like they had just taken a bite out of the cake.  I thought it was super cute!  Maybe that would be a compromise if you don't want to give your mother a heart attack when she sees your cake.  (but if you decide to go ahead with the dog as the topper, you definitely have to do the puddle!  lol)  
  • Options
    Just the dog or the dog in addition to a B&G?
    No amount of education could convince Betty to be nice to possums
  • Options
    The dog could go on top of the groom's cake. the dog is not really a statement of the two of you people just united in the most serious, most spiritual, most legally-binding ceremony of your lives and looking to the future of building a marriage together.
  • Options
    I think it's a great idea.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards