Hawaii
Options

Kona Coast / Big Island - Coordinator and initial planning recommendations

Hello!

Recently engaged and planning a DW on the Big Island!  I'm hoping to get some recommendations for wedding coordinators / planners on the Big Island, or with out travel fees if located on another island.

We are looking at the Fall of 2012, so have plenty of time yet, but would like to get a WP lined up this summer and then take a scouting trip this fall. 

We are wanting to have both the ceremony and reception at a Private Estate. 

Thanks and look forward to hearing from other BI brides!

Re: Kona Coast / Big Island - Coordinator and initial planning recommendations

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Can I recommend our photographers that have a house on the Kona side of the island? Check out whitedotphotography.com I know it's early in the planning but thought I'd throw them out there as a suggestion :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm a 2012 Kona bride as well. I did not hire a WP and just ended up looking on the interenet a lot and finding vendors on my own. Although my wedding isn't until April, I would more than happy to recommend some of the vendors that I have talked to. :)
  • Options
    scorpiojodesscorpiojodes member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    melmac26 - thanks for the suggestion, will keep it in mind!

Sharkbitemiller -  Any and all suggestions and input are welcome.  We're pretty new to the scene and just trying to figure out what makes the most sense, while keeping expenses reasonable.  Where are you having your ceremony?/reception  I'm researching private estates and other venues / vendors but finding that options on the Big Island to be more limited, so any and all suggestions are appreciated! 
    Thanks!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi Again,
    I hear ya on making sure that everything is within a reasonable dollar amount. My wedding, so far, has been fairly budget friendly.
    I'm getting married at St. Peter's by the Sea Church (aka "The Little Blue Church"). Although both of us are Catholics, we do not practice and so we wanted a "non-denomination" ceremony. Believe it or not but I found my officiant via Craig's List...Derek Schoenoff, who is a pastor at Pu'uanahulu Baptist Church (aka "The Little Red Church) on the island. Derek has been WONDERFUL to work with! My photographer is Bob Brown from Eye Expression Photography (www.eyeexpression.com). He, too, has been wonderful to work with via email and his prices were reasonable. For shits and giggles, I contacted another photographer, Ruth Anne (www.ruthannephotography.com). She was really nice via email and her prices were compariable to Bob's. I like both of their style of work but if I didn't already sign a contract with Bob, I probably would have changed it to work with Ruth Anne. As for florals, I am doing my own florals and either getting them at the local Farmer's Market and/or Costco. I have corrisponded with Annie Sundseth from Bliss In Bloom (www.blissinbloom.com). She has been great to chat with via email and based on the pictures on her blog, I love her work. She has a lot of input...I just couldn't afford her :(. She's also a WP so you may want to talk to her about other arrangements. After the ceremony, we are having a small intimate BBQ (I am bringing my own personal cook from the main land) at the 4-bedroom villa that we rented (actually, we rented 2 4-bedroom villas for us and one for our guests to rent out from us). You should check it out (www.vrbo.com/102307). On their listing, it states that you can have your ceremony on location. Jack Miller and Bob Dean, the caretakers at the villa, have been great to work with so far. I am not doing a fancy cake or anything like that so I did not scope out any bakeries. I did contact a ukelele player, Dennis (dennis@bigislesmile.com) but decided to use our IPOD during the reception. For the ceremony, I may have my FI friend or my nephew play the ukelele....that's yet to be determined. The only thing that I have not checked into is H&M. I do have a few names that I still need to contact.

I also contacted a few dive/snorkeling companies about the Manta Rey Night Dive/Snorkle so if you need those names, let me know.

I hope that helps some.
  • Options
    lpape227lpape227 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you both for the great ideas! We are getting married on the Big Island in April 2012 as well. Still trying to decide the best way and the exact location. Would love a coordinator just so that I can enjoy my time there but I feel like financially it might be a better idea to do most it myself.

I am looking for a small beach wedding with about 15-18 guests. I would like chairs for all of my guests and it will be at sunset. I am having a hard time finding the "perfect" location.

Any ideas??? They would be greatly appreciated!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards