African American Weddings

pre wedding weightloss poll

Hi, Are/ have any of you started weightloss programs to lose before the wedding??? I have quite a bit of weight to lose. Specifically 105lbs. BF and I are not yet engaged but feel that is in our future. I've been telling myself to lose weight now so that I'm not pressured to try and lose weight after we are engaged while planning the wedding. So, I'm wondering how many brides are dieting or try to lose weight for their wedding vs. those who don't.

Re: pre wedding weightloss poll

• edited December 2011
    I am in the same boat as you. I need to lose about 100lbs and I think that I need to start know but can't stay motivated!(tear)
  • edited December 2011
    I'm definitely working on losing weight before the wedding. FI doesn't think I need to but, we're going on a cruise for our honeymoon and I need to look good. I am going to try and lose at least 60 lbs. by wedding time this coming April.
  • oburrelloburrell member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I tried to lose 70-lost 30 and have kept it off so that's good. I'm really going to hit the gym after the HM-I want to be healthy not just skinny for a dress. Look at the getting in shape board for more brides like us.
  • edited December 2011
    I am also trying to loose weight but it's really for my b-pics (boudoir pictures) that I plan on scheduling for January 2010 as a b-day gift for DH...my overall goal is to loss 40 lbs but my monthly goal is to loss at least 3.5 lbs or more, that way I won't stress myself out the entire time thinking "I GOTTA GET TO 40 QUICKLY!"...you know...alot of the ladies on this board have been very successful with their weight loss and exercise programs and I am very encouraged by their progress...in the last 2 wks I have made it a priority to work out 3 days a week for an hour, which include cardio + weights + abs and I count my daily calorie intake to 1300...I am not weighing myself until the end of August - so I'll post an update so that all of y'all will know...YOU CAN DO IT TOO...just climb on the bus with all of us and GET IT GIRL!!  :D
  • edited December 2011
    yeah..i tried to lose pre wedding, during the wedding, post wedding! Story of my life lately! I've lost a few but they keep wanting to creep back on me. I'd advise you to set small goals like Alf. You have time so there's no need to stress yourself and possibly gain more from stressing! Aint that a b*tch?! I like her idea of the 3.5 a month. I'll up my ante to 5lbs a month - that should be doable. Just stick with it and you'll see results (or so they say!) We're all in this together chic! Let's do it!
  • edited December 2011
    I officially lost 36lbs. before the wedding, gained 5 back during the honeymoon, and have lost 3 of the 5 so far. Whew! I did the South Beach diet. I didn't even exercise much. I went to the gym sporadically.
  • gigi3002gigi3002 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    SweetMocha I had 100 pds to lose as well.  I've lost 35 so far!!!  And Im looking at it from a smaller perspective...I have 30 more to lose this yr, and then another 30 next yr. Getting married in November 2010.  Like you said, I dont want to have the pressure to lose the weight and try and squeeze into my dress.  I look and feel great!!  And being able to look back at our wedding photos and see a happy healthy me makes it easy to go without M&M's  
  • edited December 2011
    I'm thinking I'll set a goal of 4lbs a month.  1lb a week should be doable.
  • Bambi GrahamBambi Graham member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am a fitness freak now..I have been hitting the gym and doing excerises at home. My wedding is 39 days away, and in the last 4 months I have lost 12pounds, but have been toning and building non bulky muscle. The key is too stay focus, it is a life style not just to fit into a dress. I drink tons of water daily, eat 6 small meals every 3 to 4 hours. Tons of fruits, veggies, lean meat, fish, chicken.I do a hour of cardio and 30mins of weights, do not weigh your self on the scale but once a month to see results. Clean out your kitchen of all bad foods and bake, broil and no fry foods. treat yourself to a bad treat once a week, but don't over do it.And I mix up my up my workouts so that my body can feel challenge.Their is a lot but just pace yourself and listen to your body, take it one day at a time
  • edited December 2011
    1-2 lbs a week is optimal and do-able. I'm personally going to start weight watchers again because I know I need to keep my calories in check! I work out with a trainer, but I'm gaining muscle (which is good) and not burning enough fat, so my weight is actually increasing. grrr....oh well! I just want to lose 10 to possibly 15lbs.ANYWAY, it's not just about the number on the scale. It's about how you feel. I feel better when I work out, so I try to think of that when I start to feel lazy and sluggish--it actually energizes you! Good luck, and we're always swapping tips and advice!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm with alf. I am losing for my Boudoir pix which I am taking at Swank on Sept. 5. 13 more pounds to lose by then.  I hope I make it.  I have been doing Wii Active and eating healthier.This is kinda off topic but I still wanted to share...I pushed the pix up since Swank was doing a special that I couldn't pass up.  Their studio is amazing too...Check it Out...http://swankphotostudio.com/blog/?p=1512By pushing the date up I got a little more motivated to lose the weight.
  • trevette1981trevette1981 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm patiently waiting on the big question also and am trying to lose 50lbs, but for a different reason. I want to be in tiptop shape before I have a baby!LOL BUT since that will come on the honeymoon hopefully, I'm killing two birds with one stone. That way I'll look really cute in my dress and pictures! :)
  • mjjlaw2001mjjlaw2001 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It was hard to stay motivated before the wedding but I would say start now its never too late. Don't focus on the number but focus on being healthy and making small changes. I lost 29 pounds before my wedding. I did Jenny Craig and worked out 4 to 5 times a week. This time I am not doing Jenny Craig too expensive. I am just going to focus on eating healthy on my own and working out 6 times a week. It has started to come back since the wedding so I am getting on the ball again. You can do it!!!
  • aquarius125aquarius125 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm trying. I'm with ALF I set mini goals! I was doing great and then I got busy so I hired a trainer a few weeks ago and all is well. I had to learn to stay off the scale so much. GL to all the ladies fighting the fat!
  • edited December 2011
    You should try a bowel detox. I did it and lost weight.
  • edited December 2011
    I definitely wanted to lose weight for the big day...I have struggled but I will say this, "I am not where I want to be BUT I am definitely not where I was, 268 lbs (@5'11'')."See my ticker, I am so proud of it. I did the Medifast program for those that care.www.medifast1.comGoodluck ladies
    Expecting our 16 year Dating Anniversary baby on 11/11/11! BabyFetus Ticker
  • DanaP530DanaP530 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    1. Do it for you. Not for your wedding. Cancer, blood disease, and other terrible things run in my fam. I decided I want a long healthy life with my husband and future kids. I don't want a life where my weight/health dictate my decisions/how i feel about myself or my appearance.2. GET OFF THE SCALE!!! I have decided never to buy one again. I have a Wii, which I love, and it allows me only to weigh myself when I'm working out. I was skeptical at first, but it's great! I get bored easily, and hate running and the gym. I've tried to set goals before, but it has only worked since I decided to change my eating habits for GOOD. Not just for my wedding.I'm down about 5lbs since starting the Wii fit thingy.
  • edited December 2011
    I been saying I'm going to lose weight for the longest now and each time I say that I keep gaining. I have a total of 50 pounds I need/want to lose but I have 10 weeks later and that simply is NOT going to happen. It's not healthy to have quick weight lost. I would totally love to lose 20 pounds by then. Because it's safe to lose up to 2 pounds a week after the first inital month on a weight loss plan (Depending on how much you have to lose). However, I'm going to be more realistic and I'm aiming for 10. I'm truly blessed because I carry my weight well. When I tell some people how much I really weigh they are beyond shocked that I weigh that much.I'm focusing more on toning right about now, and changing my eating habits. Focusing my eating not on any particular weight loss plan but a Clean eating plan. Someone already briefly went into that but my clean eating plan is consisting of: Lean meats (Like poultry, fish/seafood, LIMITED read meat), Fruits/Veggies, Whole grains (Stay far away from the white foods- White sugar, white flour, white rice, white bread), Legumes/Beans, healthy fats (Like Olive Oil, Canola Oil, Nuts/seeds) Some dairy, Lots of water, Limit processed foods/sweets. If It comes in a box then chances are it's processed. Instead of sugar which has been a big problem for me I'm going to use Agave Nectar and Honey.Weight loss is going to be much more then beyond the wedding, it's going to be for ultimate health. For minority women especially black women we don't fare too well when it comes to our weight. That's why we have higher incidences of diabetes, heart disease, hypertension, and more. We got to love ourselves enough to take care of ourselves. We often have struggled with that in the past for various reasons.Also, we lack access and education in the minority communities as part of the problem.I have let myself go because of depression because I was once at a very healthy weight and in tip top shape but I'm getting back together because I do have a real passion for health/wellness. Once I get myself back together I actually want to start a business with an emphasis on health/wellness particulary in the minority community. Our communities are killing themselves at earlier and earlier ages (I am a RN) I  have worked in the hospital and I have seen way more then what I wanted to when it comes to that.Our children are sadly becoming statistics. More and More children are overweight/obese. It's a sad day in time when a 8 year old is obese, and the doctor says that child has hypertension, diabetes, (TYPE 2), and high cholesterol.Ok, sorry this is going on way too long.
  • edited December 2011
    Nope not tryin to lose any weight @ all.. i'm already thin.. But I do want to try to tone up some before the big day.. guess I'll start Jan 2011..lol.. I think its kind of pointless to lose weight unless the doc says so.. Obviously your hubby/bf/fi likes you the way u are or he wouldn't be with u. =)
  • edited December 2011
    I'm losing weight but I'm doing it for me. I've gained quite a bit of weight within the last 5 years so I'm slowly changing my eating habits and getting back to business. If I lose weight before the wedding, great. If not, well, no harm. I lost 15 lbs so far just by drinking a ton of water and eating "every color of the rainbow" as my doctor says it. It's actually a good rule to follow. Blueberries, apples, oranges, cherries, bananas and green....lots and lots of green everything. But the goal is moderation. A lot of diets don't work and that's just because they're only short-term changes for a long-term lifestyle. It's okay to have that slice of pizza or that cheeseburger and fries...just not every day of the week! Make it a treat instead of necessity!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards