California-San Diego

reception help! a little long...

Hey ladies! So I we are getting married on October 30th of this year. Let me start off by saying that I am a total budget bride and my fiance and I are the only ones paying for all of the expenses so we dont have a ton to spend. I have done all the decorations and paper DIY and the only thing I have actually purchased not done by me is my dress (of course ;) and the bridal bouquets. The problem comes in with the reception. We are expecting about 55 people total and have everything booked at the Marriott downtown. They have been fabulous, the hotel is gorgeous, and the food is great, and they are giving us a great deal but we are really leaning towards cancelling with them so we can save appx $5000 and put that towards buying a home instead.That is fine by me as I am not the type of bride who has her perfect dream wedding. I would rather us elope to Vegas so I could skip all the stress and get to the good stuff ;) I am just confused as to what to do? FI still really wants to have a ceremony which we have planned for Harbor Island park and that is fine also. But if we cancel the reception what do we do next? We looked in to catering it and trying to find a hall of some sort but havent had any luck and then comes the rental of the chairs, silverware, glasses, etc. I have guests coming in from out of town and am looking for something unique and inexpensive to do after the wedding. I have thought about bumping up the ceremony time and having a brunch type reception, but then where? And what about dancing?Anyway, I need any advice you intelligent and creative ladies can think of. and PS- FI says BBQ style reception is definately out :(

Re: reception help! a little long...

• edited December 2011
    Have you looked into Marina Village?  It seems like you like the outdoors and Marina Village is right onthe water, they have different sized rooms to fit any budget and they are extremely mice.  We are having a dinner there and the room rental fee is about $750 - $800.  The chairs and tables are already there and I believe they will even do tableclothes for $8 per table or you can rent your own.  As far as catering, I'm sure you could find catering for 55 people for a good price.  So maybe you won't save the whole $5000 but maybe a good protion of it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards