South Carolina-Charleston

Ceremony Problem!

Hello all! I am getting married June 12, 2010 of next year. I am from Summerville, SC. I am having a problem finding a church in downtown Charleston! My reception venue is the Charleston Yacht Club, our hotel is the Holiday Inn, our Rehearsal is on the Spirit of the Lowcountry - all downtown related activities, and we are trying very hard to keep it downtown! The problem is, we are not a member of a church downtown, and the prices are SKY HIGH for non-members!!! Does anyone know if ANY of the beautiful churches downtown are affordable at all? Most I look at are between 1500-2500 !To me, this is sky-high. We are having a budget conscience wedding, of course :)

Re: Ceremony Problem!

• edited December 2011
    Can you have the ceremony at the Yacht Club and just pay an officiant to conduct the ceremony?  Just a thought, unless you're set on having it in a church.  We were married at St Luke's Chapel and the rental cost was $1250, unless you or someone in your immediate family is associated with MUSC, in which case it's less expensive. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I was going to suggest St. Luke's as well!
  • aewattsaewatts member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There is not an option to be married at the Yacht Club. MUSC, however, sounds reasonable. My brother is actually a recent grad of MUSC, I wonder if this makes a bit of difference??!!
  • aewattsaewatts member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Also, where did you get your dress? Gosh, it's gorgeous and very much like what I had in mind!!!!!! Any suggestions where to look? I'm a NEW bride-to-be, so many thoughts running through my head!
  • edited December 2011
    Yes, I think if anyone in your immediate family is a graduate or associated with the university then the cost is like half that, but I could be wrong about that.  Thanks!  I got my dress at White on Daniel Island.  It was actually originally strapless, but we made some changes.  There are a few good bridal shops, depending on what you want to spend.  In Mt. P - Jean's, Belle Couture, Bridal House.  Downtown - Maddison Rowe, Lula Kate.  HTH!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I had the same problem while planning for my wedding too. My reception is at McCrady's and I could have gotten married there too, but we wanted a change of scenary for our guests and we didnt want to miss any minute of the cocktail hour. All the churches were way out of our price range. So we are now getting married on the lawn/courtyard of the Wentworth Mansion. I've never seen it but I hear its gorgeous! I'm crossing my fingers that I will like it when I come to Charleston in November to check it out (I live in Boston). Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards