Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

unique ceremony ideas?

We are having a relatively non-religious wedding, although we do plan to include something from each of our backgrounds, like breaking the glass and the unity candle/sand.  However, I would really love to involve some sort of non-religious, unique tradition.  I was thinking about something like each of us writing a letter to each other that we would lock in a box during the ceremony and not open again until our 5th anniversary (or some other anniversary).  Does anyone have any other ideas kind of similar to that?
Thanks!

Re: unique ceremony ideas?

• I read (years ago) about how during the ceremony, you each bring a letter that explains why you are marrying the other person.  It is placed inside a small box with a bottle of wine at the front and nailed shut by the parents/officiant/someone of importance.

That box goes home with you and if you ever reach a horrible time in your relationship where you think you want to get divorced, you break open the box, drink the wine and read the letters.

It sounded sweet.
  • I was hoping this would get more responses... I love the "why we are getting married" letter/box idea.  I'm actually going to couple it with a bottle of wine and have something said about opening it on our 10th anniversary- I don't like the solemnness (if that's a word) of when you want out read your letters- I'd rather have something positive (even though the whole out thing happens to a lot of couples) and say open this on your 10th anniversary and enjoy the wine you had today (we are doing wine sharing as a unity) 10 years from now and share the love you have today with each other in 10 years or something corny and cheesy like that.

Hopefully others bring in their ideas because I LOVE all the cute sentimental things that can be added to the ceremony to make it truly unique and special to that couple!
  • so last summer i traveled for my job and was away for weeks at a time, come home for a day or two to repack, then I was off again.  On one of my stops home, my FI gave me a frame with a picture of us in it and it had all the reasons he loved me listed on the left, and the right was blank (obviously for me to fill in with what I loved about him).  It includes all of the serious stuff but funny things as well (like I love his "time to do laundry" boxers LOL).  You could do something similar and display that at your wedding during the reception.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • pretzelgrrlpretzelgrrl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2010
    I saw on Four Weddings where members of the wp and parents of the bride and groom blessed the ring...I was thinking of doing this too but still debating it
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_unique-ceremony-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:98d75656-e30f-498e-bd50-02fc8c9e40dfPost:5a1321b7-2c96-49a1-bf16-9c0aaf664ea0">Re: unique ceremony ideas?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I read (years ago) about how during the ceremony, you each bring a letter that explains why you are marrying the other person.  It is placed inside a small box with a bottle of wine at the front and nailed shut by the parents/officiant/someone of importance. That box goes home with you and if you ever reach a horrible time in your relationship where you think you want to get divorced, you break open the box, drink the wine and read the letters. It sounded sweet.
    Posted by Joy2611[/QUOTE]

That is kind of sweet. But I would want to open it, which is kind of messed up too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards