Latino Weddings
Options

How to tell my Latino family in a nice way...

I am paying per person at my wedding. The ceremony & reception is at the same location. This isn't going to be your typical mexican wedding where you can skip on the ceremony and just show up for the baile. So how do I tell my invitees on the invitation that? And that they have to be on time? I don't want to be rude but i want it to be clear.Thanks in advance for your help!

Re: How to tell my Latino family in a nice way...

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I would do two things, 1. I have seen suggestions to put "promptly at one o'clock" to encourage guests to arrive on time 2. I would spread by word of mouth.  Our Mexican family and friends will be together at birthdays and holidays between now and then.  And, they are always talking to eachother about everything!  So, I would make a point of telling those closest to you and those you feel comfortable telling directly, then I would ask them to help spread the messae so everyone knows.  And, you won't come across bitchy, if you make it clear that you just want everyone to make to everything and be a part of your celebration which will begin at exactly this time, so don't be late!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My FI says, tell them the beer starts when the ceremony does and they will come!  Haha Good Luck!
  • Options
    angie52087angie52087 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for your help and yes we are planning on telling them there is a cocktail hour before ceremony!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

my cousin had two sets of invitations... one for the latino guests, one fo the non-latino guests.  the start time on the latino invitation was one hour earlier... i got the latino invitation and showed up an hour late bc i wanted to miss the ceremony.  i showed up right on time... so i guess it worked. 

• Options
    aclaroaclaro member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Arcani..that is a great idea we were plannign on doing that for teh mass put the time in half hour early so people wont be comming in late

and the coctail hour this works great especially if you have open bar before the ceremony..we went to a wedding like this and my FI was rushing me for once
  • Options
    LuluP82LuluP82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_latino-weddings_tell-latino-family-nice-way?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:680Discussion:f9f86f88-be63-4b59-895a-3638bec5837fPost:7c3f47f7-3d83-4530-8f42-cd976511444c">How to tell my Latino family in a nice way...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am paying per person at my wedding. The ceremony & reception is at the same location. This isn't going to be your typical mexican wedding where you can skip on the ceremony and just show up for the baile. So how do I tell my invitees on the invitation that? And that they have to be on time? I don't want to be rude but i want it to be clear.Thanks in advance for your help!
    Posted by angie52087[/QUOTE]

Our priest told me to put half an hour early on the invites...and the wedding coordinator (she's Cuban) said the same thing...I'm just spreading to my American friends via word of mouth the right time.

Priest (has done LOTS of Latino weddings, since he's the only bi-lingual priest in the area willing to do blessings not in the church) says if you put the right time on there...the Latins will be leaving the house at the time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'd put an earlier time on the invitations than the actual ceremony. 3:00 ceremony? I'd put 2:30 on the invitation.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    since i've worked in the catering business i knew to make sure my invitations said 6 o'clock for a 6:30pm ceremony....but i'm making sure i encourage my family to get any nails/feet/ eyebrows done at least 1 day in advance...so they don't rush getting pampered...cuz every latina wants to look good!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I wish you luck with that!
  • Options
    virgincitavirgincita member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    uhg.....why didn't I think of this? :-(

my FI is always on time for everything, so I forgot the typical hispanic custom...but I expect people to not show up for the Mass. It's rude and it makes me sad, but it's a fact, so I've accepted it.

I've been to Quinces where there 5 people at the Mass but hundreds at the party. I just want to slap everyone when we get to the party!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards