Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Presidential campaign: great idea or tacky?

Obama: Campaign Donation Makes the Perfect Wedding Gift

Read more on Newsmax.com: Obama: Campaign Donation Makes the Perfect Wedding Gift

Re: Presidential campaign: great idea or tacky?

• Options
    "Just about the tackiest thing I've ever seen" doesn't begin to cover it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    The problem here is the same with every single other charity registry ever, except a million times bigger. Not everybody supports the cause, so you potentially alienate people if you use this. Also, if you're sensitive to who leans one way or the other politically, then you would actually have to specifically screen out certain people. Which will just add to the political stratification in our country. Yippee! Go team Obama and this brilliant idea!! Ugh. :-(
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_presidential-campaign-great-idea-or-tacky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:06945a81-02b2-4d4d-80e2-20b589eff803Post:8ee86684-ca22-4ef4-9ff8-fda1bd4c0aa3">Re: Presidential campaign: great idea or tacky?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The problem here is the same with every single other charity registry ever, except a million times bigger. Not everybody supports the cause, so you potentially alienate people if you use this. Also, if you're sensitive to who leans one way or the other politically, then you would actually have to specifically screen out certain people. Which will just add to the political stratification in our country. Yippee! Go team Obama and this brilliant idea!! Ugh. :-(
    Posted by BTCarolus[/QUOTE]

I grew up on political campaigns,  donated the max to Obama four years ago and since then I've dented God knows how many trash cans kicking them because of something so obviously avoidably stupid coming from this guy's campaign.  This one, however, takes the cake.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    I agree with the others... that is not a a good idea at all! Politics have NO place at a wedding!
    Visit The Knot! White Knot Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 217 Invited...
    image 166 Got their boots on!
    image 49 Missin' out.
    image 2 are makin' us mailbox stalk!
    RSVP Date: September 1
  • Options
  • Options
    SO tasteless and rude that I would go so far as to say it reflects poorly on the President to encourage it.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_presidential-campaign-great-idea-or-tacky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:06945a81-02b2-4d4d-80e2-20b589eff803Post:fe79e6ee-9e26-4945-8d30-5469f2f48277">Re: Presidential campaign: great idea or tacky?</a>:
    [QUOTE]SO tasteless and rude that I would go so far as to say it reflects poorly on the President to encourage it.
    Posted by harpsdesire[/QUOTE]

I agree.  I can also see attack ads using this.  They are limitless.  Aside from being tacky, it just bothers me because it is so insanely stupid - and for those wondering, I don't like seeing any candidate from any party making stupid mistakes.
  • Options
    Horrible, horrible idea.  I know a lot of people working for the campaign and I'm just so sad to see this.  
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    No. Just no.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_presidential-campaign-great-idea-or-tacky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:06945a81-02b2-4d4d-80e2-20b589eff803Post:407ff9cb-5dda-4e3c-b516-725f0a0bb360">Re: Presidential campaign: great idea or tacky?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Presidential campaign: great idea or tacky? : I agree.  I can also see attack ads using this.  They are limitless.  Aside from being tacky, it just bothers me because it is so insanely stupid - and for those wondering, I don't like seeing any candidate from any party making stupid mistakes.
    Posted by GoodLuckBear14[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>All of that. I like Mr. Obama and will be voting for him. My wedding is right before the election and I'm already bracing myself for emotions to be running high that weekend. I just don't know who thought that this was a good idea. Or, I feel like they never researched anything about weddings or how registries are made or what etiquette dictates. It just seems so unnecessary. </div>
  • Options
    I am a Republican, and it would put a VERY bad taste in my mouth to receive something like this. And I think vice versa for a Democrat receiving some conservative memorbilia. There is no way to do this without horribly offending at least a few of your guests.
    I know this sounds so close-minded, but I don't know that I would give ANY gifts to a couple if I received this.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_presidential-campaign-great-idea-or-tacky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:06945a81-02b2-4d4d-80e2-20b589eff803Post:eaca4474-c8d8-4ed3-bb3c-70dfc46a0c27">Re: Presidential campaign: great idea or tacky?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am a Republican, and it would put a VERY bad taste in my mouth to receive something like this. And I think vice versa for a Democrat receiving some conservative memorbilia. There is no way to do this without horribly offending at least a few of your guests. I know this sounds so close-minded, but I don't know that I would give ANY gifts to a couple if I received this.
    Posted by cwaggoner07[/QUOTE]

I'm a Democrat and would not be giving this as a gift - even to the most rabid Democrats I know.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_presidential-campaign-great-idea-or-tacky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:06945a81-02b2-4d4d-80e2-20b589eff803Post:28ed86f2-eb12-4550-9466-29004f537165">Re: Presidential campaign: great idea or tacky?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Presidential campaign: great idea or tacky? : I'm a Democrat and would not be giving this as a gift - even to the most rabid Democrats I know.

Oh totally. If I'm going to donate to a cause I want it in MY name :)
    I was trying to be bipartisan about my comment, since I know people (myself included) can get emotional about it either way.

This is just a bigger example of asking people to donate to any charitable organization. Not good.

(ps I'm a cpa and just make note that you can't deduct political donations, so really why would you?)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_presidential-campaign-great-idea-or-tacky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:06945a81-02b2-4d4d-80e2-20b589eff803Post:eaca4474-c8d8-4ed3-bb3c-70dfc46a0c27">Re: Presidential campaign: great idea or tacky?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am a Republican, and it would put a VERY bad taste in my mouth to receive something like this. And I think vice versa for a Democrat receiving some conservative memorbilia. There is no way to do this without horribly offending at least a few of your guests. I know this sounds so close-minded, but I don't know that I would give ANY gifts to a couple if I received this.
    Posted by cwaggoner07[/QUOTE]

This is exactly how I feel about the whole thing.  I have a pretty strict rule for myself about always sending a gift when I am invited to a wedding, but I would not attend or send anything if someone tried to do this.

Like others have said, even "registering" for charitable donations can off-put guests.  The only time I have ever donated in "name" of someone else was when I very specifically knew that the cause was one the <em>other person </em>strongly supported.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_presidential-campaign-great-idea-or-tacky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:06945a81-02b2-4d4d-80e2-20b589eff803Post:77f7d704-b4f3-4e12-927d-1f9d36219095">Re: Presidential campaign: great idea or tacky?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Presidential campaign: great idea or tacky? : This is exactly how I feel about the whole thing.  I have a pretty strict rule for myself about always sending a gift when I am invited to a wedding, but I would not attend or send anything if someone tried to do this. Like others have said, even "registering" for charitable donations can off-put guests. <strong> The only time I have ever donated in "name" of someone else was when I very specifically knew that the cause was one the  other person  strongly supported.
    </strong>Posted by miranda1211[/QUOTE]

I can't even do this.  Their charities are theirs, mine are mine.  I'd rather my money go to my charities, esp. if theirs are something that I am diametrically opposed to. (an aunt gave me a Christmas present one year which was a donation to her favorite charity - Right to Life.  The next year I gave her a donation in her name to Planned Parenthood.  She yelled at me for a decade of Christmases after that and couldn't understand why I had been pissed that first year).
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_presidential-campaign-great-idea-or-tacky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:06945a81-02b2-4d4d-80e2-20b589eff803Post:a298db17-2a4c-4785-89b3-2544c3ceab04">Re: Presidential campaign: great idea or tacky?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Presidential campaign: great idea or tacky? : I can't even do this.  Their charities are theirs, mine are mine.  I'd rather my money go to my charities, esp. if theirs are something that I am diametrically opposed to. (<strong>an aunt gave me a Christmas present one year which was a donation to her favorite charity - Right to Life.  The next year I gave her a donation in her name to Planned Parenthood.  She yelled at me for a decade of Christmases after that and couldn't understand why I had been pissed that first year</strong>).

<div>I just snorted. And that's probably something I would do. Yeah, I really feel that if people want so badly to donate to anything that they should take the money they get for gifts and then donate that, because then it's their money. I wonder how many people who get that advice take it, though?</div><div>
    </div><div>I actually have a friend who's working for the Obama campaign and I sent him a Facebook message about this. Not including this thread, just saying that, while I knew it wasn't my friend's idea, I felt he could know and maybe pass along that all of the reaction I've seen to it has been overwhelmingly negative, even from people who will probably vote and give money to Obama. </div>
  • Options
    So tacky. 

Let's mix politics and money up in someone's wedding ... what a great idea! And just to be sure we cover the big three topics to never discuss, let's figure out a way to throw some religion in there too just so we cover all the bases. 

Idiotic. I'd probably not even go to a wedding that did this.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_presidential-campaign-great-idea-or-tacky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:06945a81-02b2-4d4d-80e2-20b589eff803Post:8fcd91e6-decc-45fa-b97c-d584037396b6">Re: Presidential campaign: great idea or tacky?</a>:
    [QUOTE]So tacky.  Let's mix politics and money up in someone's wedding ... what a great idea! And just to be sure we cover the big three topics to never discuss, let's figure out a way to throw some religion in there too just so we cover all the bases.  Idiotic. I'd probably not even go to a wedding that did this.
    Posted by willywally5[/QUOTE]

I think I did that in my post Willy ;)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_presidential-campaign-great-idea-or-tacky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:06945a81-02b2-4d4d-80e2-20b589eff803Post:36ec8b83-3e91-4d33-baaa-0be5149f563f">Re: Presidential campaign: great idea or tacky?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Presidential campaign: great idea or tacky? : I think I did that in my post Willy ;)

Yes, I gues you did! LOL<div>
    <div>And FWIW, I would have done the same exact thing if my aunt or whoever donated to something to which I was blatantly opposed. (Curiosity is killing me ... did she know your feelings about Right to Life? I love how people just assume you have the same core beliefs as they do.)</div></div>
  • Options
    I read the title of the post, and my first thought was "no...I must have interpreted that wrong..."  Apparently I was mistaken.  Yikes.
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_presidential-campaign-great-idea-or-tacky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:06945a81-02b2-4d4d-80e2-20b589eff803Post:65d45462-297e-4b91-b785-0230cc8837dd">Re: Presidential campaign: great idea or tacky?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Presidential campaign: great idea or tacky? : Yes, I gues you did! LOL And FWIW, I would have done the same exact thing if my aunt or whoever donated to something to which I was blatantly opposed. (Curiosity is killing me ... did she know your feelings about Right to Life? I love how people just assume you have the same core beliefs as they do.)
    Posted by willywally5[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah.  She's an ex-nun and was trying to convert me to her way of thinking.  She never quite understood that pro-choice =/= pro-abortion.  For me it means that while I am personally opposed to abortion, I do not believe that I have the right to enforce my religious beliefs on others by enacting laws based on my religious views.  Other people have different views and I respect that.  At least only a tiny percentage of Planned Parenthood's funding goes to abortion services and the rest is women's healthcare.
  • Options
    I don't think it's "tacky" so much as "stupid."
    Politics is a super super no-no discussion topic at these events. Why on Earth would anyone think this is a good idea?
  • Options
    If I put that on our registry, my grandparents would have a stroke when they saw it!
  • Options

This is a big no no. If I ever did something like this, doesn't matter which side of the political spectrum I fell on, my family and friends would not take kindly to it. I think we should keep the bickering at weddings to the food, music and how taseful/tacky the attire is, not turn it into a politcal brawl

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Ahhhh! This is hilariously horrible. In case PPs haven't made it clear, totally do not do this. Yikes.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    A gift like that could end friendships.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards