Canada

House of Brides PSA

Intro: Hi Canadian knotties! I'm getting married in Ottawa, anyone else?PSA: My MOH ordered her dress from House of brides dot com because it was $99 USD with $25 shipping.  In the store it would have been $179-200 CDN.  So great deal, right? Well...she was tracking her package and noticed that it kept going back and forth across the US/Can border and started worrying about customs.  She gets home and there is a $55 customs charge! Yikes, that makes her break even or down a little bit, depending on the exchange and where she would have bought the dress.Upside: Fast fast fast shipping.  Sigh, poor MOH.

Re: House of Brides PSA

• edited December 2011
    That's an expensive customs fee! Usually it's about 24% - they must have assessed it at its full price rather than the discounted one.
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I considered ordering BM dresses in the US as well but once I did the calculations, I figured I'd break even. So I just ordered them in the store to get the service along with it. Welcome! When is your wedding?
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • edited December 2011
    I had no idea it would turn out this way, customs are always a sketchy thing anyway, I never knew about the 24% either! I am excited to see the dress though, that is the first one to come in.Thanks for the welcome! My wedding is October 17th, fast approaching but I am experiencing a bit of a lull right now, I'm sure once the invites are out that will get me in gear!
  • edited December 2011
    See, I'm a jcrew addict, so I get faced with that fee all the time. That's the only reason I know about it!Welcome to the board! I'm from Ottawa - where are you getting married?
  • edited December 2011
    I love JCrew too! I have never bought from them online, but I do a lot of other online shopping and customs just seemed so random to me.  I think if the sender classifies it as a "gift" they won't charge it? Again, I just might be making this up... I am getting married at the Good Shepherd Church in Orleans, and the reception will be held at the Hilton Lac Leamy, so excited. We have our menu tasting next Monday, I can't wait!
  • edited December 2011
    Hey C&R, we're date twins! I have no comments/advice though 'cause I'm not having bridesmaids.
  • edited December 2011
    Welcome. I'm late, I know. A few of my bridesmaids wanted to order their dresses online. We live close enough to the border and one BM has family in MI that we would have had them shipped there and just drive across to pick them up. I just wasn't comfortable with this at all so I put my foot down and had them order from our shop. In the end, I don't like the shop we got the dresses from but I knew they would get here on time.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards