Registry and Gift Forum

How much to spend on wedding presents when gifting as a couple?

Chad and I just got married, and are still figuring out our budget. Our friends are getting married in August, and I'm unsure how much we should spend on a gift for them. In the past (as a single gift-giver), I've spent around $50 (I'm also a college student). As "joint" gift givers, should we spend around $100, or would approximately $75 be acceptable if we can't afford more? The groom-to-be attended our wedding, and gave us a gift worth approximately $80 (sorry to be so crass with all this money talk, by the way), but the card had both their signatures - the bride-to-be had a different wedding to go to on the same day.I know that the cost of a gift should be decided by your relationship to the people getting married and what you can afford --- but I want to get a feel for what other Knotties think would be appropriate.Thank you!
~ bonnykate "I can totally see you one day, giving birth, and you're screaming, 'This is the pain my body was meant to feel!'" Yep, that's totally going to be me.

Re: How much to spend on wedding presents when gifting as a couple?

• You should give whatever you can afford and are comfortable giving.  That being said, for people that came to our wedding, I would probably give back the same amount they gave us.  In your situation, I would give $75/80.
  • i dont think it matters that much. heck, if you can still only afford $50 between the 2 of you, then get them something thats $50... as long as it is something they will love, who cares about the price tag. people (hopefully) dont throw weddings expecting to be 'paid back'.
  • Please only spend what you can afford.  I always feel awful when I receive a gift that made me wonder if the giver could truly afford it.  I wouldn't want anyone to be hurting for money or go into debt on my account.  I think $75 is perfectly appropriate, but spend what you can afford.  Your friends will not think twice about it, and if they do, that's really wrong.  You can always include a thoughtful note or a "coupon" for dinner at your place when the wedding celebrations are over.
  • What you should give should be based upon your budget and how close to the couple you are. It is not cover your plate or tit for tat. I never give money gifts however so that i can shop and get the same item on sale with coupons and cash back ect. The last friends wedding we bought her a sex of 6 waterford wineglasses in her pattern. It cost us about $80 however as I saw when they had a sale and bought them on a great sale with a discount code and coupon and cash back.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards