Registry and Gift Forum

Rant: Home Depot registry

We decided to register at Home Depot, because a lot of the items we wanted around our home are sold there. It was definitely a frustrating experience!Home Depot has totally discontinued its online registry. I called a local store, and asked whether the in-store registry applied nationwide, or only at the specific store where I registered. They told me it was only the specific store.We therefore traveled to a store that was not the most convenient for us, but that we thought would be the most convenient for the majority of our guests. When we got there, there was a big sign up saying that the registry was nationwide, so we didn't need to make that trip.Even at the store, I had to go through several employees before I found one that knew how to set up a registry. And instead of having a scanner gun, they require you to walk around and write down the SKU numbers or UPC codes for each item you want to put into your registry. They then take the written list and type it into their computer. This means, of course, that there were two different opportunities for errors--when we wrote down the numbers, and when they typed them into the computer.Their in-store registry is not accessible online, so guests have to go to the store even to find out what you have registered for. And even at the store, the registry is not accessible by knowing the couple's names--you have to have a special registration code.Could they possibly make this any more inconvenient?

Re: Rant: Home Depot registry

• Well, so far we've compromised by looking up all the items on our registries on Amazon.  If they are there, we add them to our Amazon registry.  If they are not, we try to find them online at Target or Home Depot, and then add them to our Amazon registry using the "Universal Registry" option.The only real down side to this is the risk of duplicate gifts (e.g., if one person gets the item on Amazon, and one gets it in a local Home Depot).  However, in most instances we should be able to return the duplicates if this happens.  If that isn't possible, we can sell them on eBay.
  • We did exactly what you did at HD.  Told my dad about it, and he was so excited to go to his local HD to buy FI a present for him rather than some household item.  Nope, registry is not nationwide; in fact, no one in his store knew anything about it.  We opted for Sears instead.  They are truly missing out on a huge audience if you ask me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards