Maine
Options

Name change steps

what do I do first to change my name?

Re: Name change steps

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I googled it and this is one of the sites with informatin that comes up.. http://weddings.about.com/od/getorganized/a/changeyournam.htm
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Once I got our marriage certificate, I went to the Social Security office, and then the DMV. I got my new cards in like a week.  Then you can start with credit cards, student loans, the bank. You probably need to have your certificate for at least the bank, but most places will tell you what they need to make the change (I just sent an e-mail to customer service to change my name on my credit cards!). And you will need to give a copy of your new driver's license to your employer so they can do a new I9 and change your name on your benefits. I think that once you have the certificate and go to the dmv and social security office there isn't necessarily an order to follow.
  • Options
    JaimeMarieBJaimeMarieB member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I feel blonde where is the SS office?
  • Options
    MaineMayBrideMaineMayBride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I never went to the SS Office. I got their phone number online, gave an automated service my name & address, they sent me an application for a SS card. I sent the application back with my birth certificate (original) and marriage certificate (not copies). Within 2-3 weeks I received my card!   For a license....visit the DMV with the same paperwork....marriage certificate AND birth certificate. For all Maine licenses, renew or not you must present your birth certificate. My bank requested the marrriage certificate but most of my bills, etc did not. Its a pain but fun to see your new name! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    There is a Social Security office on Forest Ave in Portland. You can look on line for the exact address.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    There's also one up here by the Auburn Mall...
    "Once the realization is accepted that even between the closest human beings infinite distances continue, a wonderful living side by side can grow, if they succeed in loving the distance between them which makes it possible for each to see the other whole against the sky." -- Ranier Maria Rilke BabyFruit Ticker image Me:37 MH:38 TTC since Oct 2011 BFP/Beta#1: 13 6/20/12; Beta#2: 20 6/22/12; MC/Beta#3: 9 6/27/12 BFP#2/Beta#1: 9/21/12 S/PAIFW
  • Options
    Danielle1106Danielle1106 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am just starting this process too. You can google the SS website and find an office close to you (I went to Saco). They do require the original documents too. My Town hall claimed my marriage certificate "got lost in the mail" so I had to pay $10 to get another one, but it seems to be the most valuable document when you have one name on one card, and another name on the rest. Also, the laws for getting a new driver's licence have gotten more intensive, so I would suggest calling the DMV before you go in and wait in line. The bank also required my marriage cert. but the rest have been as easy as just calling in. Some things may be tricky in between receiving your cards however. Someone ordered a group of train tickets and put my married name for mine, but I haven't gotten my new licence so they gave me a really hard time. So like every one else said... the only order that really matters is Social Security then Drivers Licence then banks... and the rest is just a matter of calling the credit card companies as things come in the mail.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards