Wedding Woes
Options

Opinions are turning this into something horrible, HELP!

So here is the deal.  I know everyone says you should just make your own decisions, and do what makes you happy because this is our day.  But see I guess I'm a natural pleaser, I try to please everyone else.  I feel like I have been over extended as it is, and I guess I've reached the point that I can not do things or change things because someone else wants it.  Here are some examples of some of the things and then the last will be the one that has me on here asking what to do.  My mother doesn't like the way we are doing our vows, doesn't like that we want chair covers, doesn't like how we are having the bridal party walk down the aisle.  My FMIL, doesn't approve of some of the people that got left off of the list, she asked to add almost 20 additional people, when we are sending save the dates this week.  I write explain to her that we can't do it budget wise, and we are only inviting 70 people (the people she wants are equivalent to my stepdads side of the family and they aren't even getting invited).  Here is the main problem.  My sister, who is my MOH, is the 6th person to come to us, to dispute why we would not be serving liquor at our wedding.  We are having beer and wine and that is it.  Here are the reasons why (even though I don't feel to anyone we should have to justify), but for the sake of understanding what happens, here they are.  My FFIL is a recovering alcoholic, next, we can't afford it, next we are getting married at least 1 hour away from where we live, some of the invites live further, but the closest anyone lives is 1 hour from the location, we would hate for us to have something that has more of an effect in a lesser quantity (we weren't even going to have beer, but people pushed so much, we said fine, and now they want the next step up), well we would feel responsible if anything happened to anyone leaving our wedding, whether they should know better themselves or not.  My sister asked me why today, and tells me that her boyfriend of 4 years, doesn't drink anything but liquor, and they would pay for it.  I tell her that doesn't change why we aren't serving it, and she proceeds to tell me because I had to borrow money from her for the first time in a good 4 years (because we are paying for the wedding on our own, moving into a house, and my car broke down) she tells me that "They just feel they have helped up out.."  I told her that wasn't fair, and unfortunately, I'm over someone always seeing something wrong with our wedding.  At this moment we have put a deposit on the venue, a deposit on the planner, a deposit on the photographer, and paid for my wedding gown.  I'm trying to figure out if we even want to do this anymore, I feel my options are to just ignore everyone and know that I will feel bad everytime I tell someone "it's our day and this is what we have chosen", we can make the wedding a little smaller, and shorten up the whole thing (saving us money as well, by having hourderves (spelling).  We could also just say okay, and say that's fine, let them pay for it and just expect others to be responsible, and still just have horderves instead of buffett.  Or we could just cut our loses and get married at the courthouse, and follow that up with a get-together.  I know that no matter what we do, it will upset people, anyone who was going to be invited, but now wouldn't be, really just anyone, but I guess I'm so over all of the opinions making this such a horrible day, everyone else wants to be happy, and the more I do things to make them happy, the further from happy I am getting.  I believe I would be more content just to go to the courthouse, but I know what that would do to our families.  What should I do, and I'm so very sorry for the length.  If it's important our wedding date is February 20th, 2010.

Re: Opinions are turning this into something horrible, HELP!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    UGH....I love all you ladies but please use paragraphs. I had to literally use my finger and slide across the words like a 5 year old learning to read because I coudnt focus.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Gawd this sounds so similar to my post from today!I'll tell you one thing:My brother was married this year (in a hurry) and my new sister-in-law told me that she let too many people do whatever they wanted and she regrets not standing up for what she wanted.I'm opposite in that I don't want much, but I'll be damned if I let people run the show, because I don't want to look back to my wedding day and regret that I didn't get what I wanted.Seriously, you may hurt people's feelings right now, but it will be over for them one day.  YOU'RE the one that has to look at your pictures and remember all the things you didn't get because of the things you gave into!Just how I feel about it anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards