Texas-San Antonio
Options

Bridal Party in a Traditional Catholic Wedding?

I'm really at crossroads right now. Our wedding is in November 13,2010 and everyone is already saying we need a bridal party,flower girl,ring bearers,etc. However, I want our wedding to hold to the traditions of our ancestors and religion. I also want the wedding to be about our union as a couple spiritually through the church and not anybody else. I think it would be a huge distraction while mass is going on. Flowergirls I could pass on. Besides San Fernando does not allow rose petals to be thrown in the aisle..but I know my family will be butthurt if I don't have their daughter walk down the aisle. Also, I just plain 'ol don't want a bridal party mainly because most of my friend's are guys and I would have only two females (my future sis-in-law who I love and one of my best female friends). And I'm almost 100% positive bridal parties are not within Spanish or Catholic tradition, it's important to me because my family has been getting married there since the 1700's and I want to walk in their steps.  Am I being a Scrooge/Diva? This how I feel.

Re: Bridal Party in a Traditional Catholic Wedding?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    What will probably wind up happening is I have my S-I-L and friend do a reading and he can choose two other to do the reading. Our moms will probably be too emotional to go up there unless they want. I'm gonna axe the flowergirl and ringbearers. They don't allow flowers anyway and we can give the rings to the priest to bless.Thanks ladies!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    To be married in the Catholic Church you actually only need you, your hubby-to-be and the priest (who serves as the witness). You two are the ones who actually marry each other, not the priest (common misconception), who is there solely as a witness of the Sacrament. However, I think your marriage license *may* need two witnesses so you made need one person in addition to the priest. So truthfully, you don't have to have a bridal party at all! HTH!
  • Options
    jdv7700jdv7700 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hey sarah i had a question....i saw you are getting married at san fernando and this is exactly where i was looking at...i tried figuring out how to message you but couldnt so im just replying to this....i have been trying to get a hold of them there but have had no luck...if you don't mind could you let me know how much they are charging to rent out the cathedral for a wedding?? thanks & congrats!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards