Colorado-Denver
Options

Your help and recommendations for FI gift

So I think I have decided on getting my FI a good bottle of scotch for a gift.  But I don’t know anything about it.  I don’t want to go into the store and just buy the most expensive stuff.  Any of you have any recommendations…or ideas for a sipping liquor if you think of something beside scotch

Re: Your help and recommendations for FI gift

• Options
    edited December 2011
    What does he normally drink? Based on that, I would be able to give you a better recommendation.
  • Options
    VAtoCOVAtoCO member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know anything about scotch, but I thought I'd recommend two of my favorite liquor stores. One is Argonaut - on Colfax - and the other is Applejacks (I think it is in Lakewood). The staff knows their stuff and might have good recommendations for you.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Try Johnny Walker whiskey.  There are several labels, each made for a different type of occasion and can be enjoyed as a sipper, mixed, neat or on the rocks.  Google their website for more info.
    68 Looking Forward to Mtn Airimage
    31 Afraid of Altitude Sicknessimage
    4 Being Hunted By My Bounty Hunter Bridesmaid image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker May 2010 Siggy Challenge: Wedding Location imageimage{Bio} (updated 3/2)
  • Options
    jeepin bridejeepin bride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My DH is a HUGE scotch drinker... here are his suggestions and favorites (in this order)... in general, the older ones tend to be better...$150 Macallan 18 year old... one of the best ones around$95 Highland Park 18 year old$60ish Balvenie 15 year old... good for a lower priceThese are smoother ones.  DH says most scotch drinkers would not turn these down.  He does say that it depends on what flavors your FI likes.  You can google these and see what their flavor descriptions are.The liquor stores he recommends if you need to ask someone in the store are Argonauts (Colfax & Washington, Denver) and Incredible Wine & Spirits (DTC)If you want to take your FI out to taste scotch to find out the flavors he likes, go to Pints Pub in Denver.  He can do a flight and try some from various regions of Scotland.. the region helps find out what he leans toward, too.  They have hundreds of scotches there... although some are rare and about $800 per GLASS LOL... but there are many affordable ones, too :)
  • Options
    gretch9gretch9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    oh my, different scotch flavors....ha i really don't know anything :) currently, he's got something called The Glenlivet. I don't think it was all that expensive. Just something for him to have occasionally. I just thought he'd enjoy something more expensive he would never buy for himself. thanks for the suggestions!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    dh agrees with balvenie scotch or aberfeldy.hth!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The hubs says that MacCellan one is good, Glen Livet is also good.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Glenlivet is a single malt scotch whiskey, if that's what he normally drinks he's going to want to stay with the same type.  People either like the single malt or the double malt, so that's an important fact.  I personally like Chivas Regal or Belveine but they are double malt.  Talk to a bartender or an experianced person at a liquor store to find the best option.  But remember "single malt" is what you're going to want to say with.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That is a really good idea. A friend of our family gave my husband a really expensive bottle of whisky from his trip to Ireland as a present at the wedding. All of the guys took a shot and then all signed the bottle for him. It is one of his favorite memories from our reception.
  • Options
    gretch9gretch9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks ladies.  ya'll rock :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards