Wedding Party

Wedding Party Hair and Makeup

I'm having someone do the hair for all my bridesmaids. 3 out of 4 also want makeup. The one that doesn't want her makeup done claims its because she's picky about how her makeup is done. She's one of my closest friends and I love her but...her makeup can sometimes be a bit much sometimes. When we go out she wears crazy eye makeup (bue, purple green) and brightly colored lip stick (reds and oranges)...not exactly the look I was hoping for on my wedding day.

My question is this: can I ask her to allow someone else to do her makeup so its somewhat consistent with everyone else? I'm planning on paying for the makeup to lighten the monetary load. I thought I'd tell her this and hope she accepts...suggestions?

If she really doesn't want makeup done by someone else can I at least gently suggest eye/lip colors that would work with the look of the wedding.

Re: Wedding Party Hair and Makeup

• mstar284mstar284 member
    First Comment
    edited June 2010
    You can't force her to have someone else do her makeup, even if you are willing to pay. But I do understand the concern for "carnival" makeup. Hopefully she has enough common sense to tone it down for the wedding. She's not going out to a club, she's in a wedding. Different makeup for different events. I'm sure she's not going to look ridiculous.

Photobucket

Anniversary
  • No you really can't.  I assume you chose your friend because of what's in her heart and soul, not because of her appearance.

To suggest that she change her style, which you admittedly don't like, so that your pictcures look nice just makes you look like one of those gals in an episode of Bridezillas.  I know you don't want that.

Sorry.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • If you haven't already told her you're paying you can tell her that and see if it changes her mind.  But if she really doesn't want her makeup done by your person, I don't think there's anything else you can do.
    Married 10/2/10
  • I think you can say, "Are you sure you don't want it done?  My treat!"

Sometimes, habits die hard.

When my friend got married, another friend (one of the BMs) did the makeup for a few BMs including the SIL of the bride who was stuck in the 80's.  She gushed as she did the makeup and said, "Oh Jane!  The way the brown looks on your eye is just beautiful!"

And somehow the 80's blue made its way onto her face before she walked down the aisle.  There was just no changing her....BUT no one except those paying attention noticed.
  • bablingbrookebablingbrooke member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited June 2010
    Few will notice it and fewer will care, including you.  You're so busy on the wedding day that you won't be staring at it all night.  And the wedding photos won't have super-close-ups that will highlight it.

Offer then don't push the issue if she declines.
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • Yeah, I think I'm going to offer it to her and if she really doesn't want it done, I'll cross my fingers and hope she knows that purple, green or blue eye makeup won't exactly go with her harvest gold dress and red flowers.

• And EVEN IF she doesn't, I promise you this is not any sort of big deal.  Really.  Tell yourself you will be okay with it.
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_wedding-party-hair-makeup?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:5876eb91-8cf3-4385-b450-eab33881e05cPost:6ee7ec5b-889a-4905-b841-4c6a022c8915">Re: Wedding Party Hair and Makeup</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, I think I'm going to offer it to her and if she really doesn't want it done, I'll cross my fingers and hope she knows that purple, green or blue eye makeup won't exactly go with her harvest gold dress and red flowers.
    Posted by stacy&tige[/QUOTE]

That's all you can do, but I promise you that you won't be paying attention to it on the wedding day. Good luck! Hopefully she takes you up on your offer.
  • We just hit the 3 month mark and I think that I'm having a pre-wedding meltdown, so every little thing that might not actually bother me or effect the wedding is just becoming an imaginary issue in my head. BLAH!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_wedding-party-hair-makeup?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:5876eb91-8cf3-4385-b450-eab33881e05cPost:febe62ab-5835-4277-b678-1a8d4bfd3eef">Re: Wedding Party Hair and Makeup</a>:
    [QUOTE]We just hit the 3 month mark and I think that I'm having a pre-wedding meltdown, so every little thing that might not actually bother me or effect the wedding is just becoming an imaginary issue in my head. BLAH!
    Posted by stacy&tige[/QUOTE]

It's really not entirely your fault Stacey.  The wedding industry does a  mighty good job of convincing couples that such things DO matter.

Use this to help:  Ask yourself "When I'm on my honeymoon, will it have bothered me that my friend wore red lipstick <or insert whatever other issue begins to fill your mind />?"  If the answer is no, let it go.

Or even better:  If I were at my friend's wedding, and one of the BM's had red lipstick, would it make me think less of my friend?  If the answer is no, let it go.

GL, Stacey.  It will all be wonderful.  Because you'll be marrying the person you love enough to pledge your life to.  And in the end, that's what it's all about, isn't it?
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards