Catholic Weddings
Options

Gospel Acclamation without Accompaniment

Hello! My grandfather (our priest) feels strongly about the Gospel Acclamation being sung. Although I agree with him, the logistics are tricky. The organist and cantor at my church are former broadway musicians, so they are super pricey ($300 a piece). We've decided to hire a string quartet with a trumpet from the high school where my mom works (I'm so excited for this part of the ceremony!). My FI's cousin sings very well. I was thinking about asking her if she was comfortable singing the Gospel Acclamation without accompaniment, but I'm not sure if this would work well. Would it just be strange, or would it be fine? I haven't asked her yet. I wanted to get some opinions before I talk to her. Thanks! 

Re: Gospel Acclamation without Accompaniment

• Options
    It can be chanted without accompaniment. 

A lot of string quartets have some experience with Catholic weddings, so they may even have one in their repertoire to accompany with. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_gospel-acclamation-without-accompaniment?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:5ac7c303-bdc3-46f9-8251-af984ac9aba4Post:0c976d9b-73d5-47af-9c08-1ee7e98b6fc5">Re: Gospel Acclamation without Accompaniment</a>:
    [QUOTE]It can be chanted without accompaniment.  A lot of string quartets have some experience with Catholic weddings, so they may even have one in their repertoire to accompany with. 
    Posted by agapecarrie[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>So would it just be a musical gopel acclamation with no singing? Or would my FI's cousin sing along with the string quartet? Can I expect them to do that since she lives in Maryland and we're in West Hartford (they wouldn't have time to practice together until the night before). Thank you for your help!</div>
  • Options
    Well, chanting would just be voice.

But if the quartet knows one to accompany, and they can communicate which one it is, it shouldn't be hard to run it once before hand. She'd have to come in knowing it though.

I highly doubt a quartet would get together to rehearse the day before. 
  • Options
    JMO, but you should have a cantor to lead all the music, not just the gospel acclamation. Vocal music adds so much and really is the most appropriate for any larger mass mass.

Out of curiosity, what were the circumstances where your grandfather became a priest? I know that there are several scenarios that allow it. I also know someone who hopes  to be in a similar position one day. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Yah. We'll have to see what our options are. Thanks!

My grandfather was a deacon. When my grandmother was ill, they discussed him becoming a priest. He spent lots of time praying and decided that he had the calling. He entered the seminary 13 years ago, and the rest is history!
  • Options
    Can you use an outside cantor?  Or does it have to be the one from the church?  If your mother works at the high school.  Perhaps she knows of a good singer who is familiar with the Catholic mass?  They would be much cheaper than a professional cantor.  I know that when I attended high school, there were some extremely talented singers!
  • Options
    If your cousin is a trained singer, this would probably work out.  Our cantor was not Catholic, and practiced just a few hours before our ceremony started, but because she was classically trained, she was able to pick things up in the limited amount of time.

If she has a pretty voice but only sings as a hobby, you might run into issues if she's unfamiliar with the way a mass works or singing with accompaniment.
    Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards