Florida-Central Florida
Options

Location, location, location!

Hi,

Does anyone have a suggestion for a location (both ceremony/ reception site) that has French architecture? We recently came up with a unique theme for our wedding based off my favorite painting and the artist is French. TIA!

Re: Location, location, location!

• Options
    Theresa626Theresa626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What do you mean by French architecture?  When i think of that, I think of cobblestone streets and stone buildings very close together with iron balconies or maybe new orleans style architecture.  Is that what you're thinking of?  Could you be more specific?  
  • Options
    edited December 2011

What you’re envisioning works. We don’t have anything visualized yet and are open to any and all ideas. We just don’t want a location that would clash with our theme.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    French architecture in Florida... I'm drawing a blank! Which artist/painting? That might help some! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Van Gogh’s “Starry night”
    Here's a link to a very rough idea of what I’m envisioning:

http://sparkles003.blogspot.com/2010/05/finally-found-unique-theme.html
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm not creative like you... maybe Bella Colina (I had a bad exp. there but some other girls have had good ones, and it's BEAUTIFUL!!!) Casa Feliz, or Courtyard at Lake Lucerne? Just thoughts, could be totally off from your theme... lol
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It's a starting point! Thanks!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ya you could make that work with casa feliz I think
  • Options
    Theresa626Theresa626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think maybe a blue ballroom would work well.  Or perhaps Casa Feliz because you'd have the open courtyard under the stars and it's an antique looking building.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Just FYI, Van Gogh wasn't French, he was Dutch. He just spent a lot of his life  painting in France. I mean, where else would you go to pine after the woman you loved? 

It's a killer idea for a theme though. ;)

I'd recommend Casa Feliz (where I got married!), Polasek Museum (no indoor space though), Bella Colina, or *maybe* Leu Gardens. Leu might be too southern/antebellum though. If you end up using a hotel/ballroom style venue, you could also do lots of blue uplighting to create the effect of the painting itself.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Casa Feliz looks amazing from the photos on their website. Depending on what's all included in for the $2,000. It might even fit into my budget!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    $2000 gets you use of the entire space and 75 mahogany chairs (indoor use only) for 5 hours, plus 3 hours prep time before your ceremony. They only work with Arthur's catering, and Arthur's handles all of your tables (included), linen (basic ones are no charge, but there's an upgrade fee if you want fancy ones), and chair rentals for the outdoor space as part of whatever catering package you get with them. They forgot to charge us for the chair rental, actually - shh! ;) Melissa Burtram is their point person at Casa, and she's very helpful.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Thanks for the information!  I’m not sure how I feel about the restricted catering though.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    IMO wedding food is wedding food, unless you're looking at upwards of $80/plate. They have a pretty wide range of offerings and are willing to switch out parts of their packages to suit your needs/wants, so don't let that rule them out for you just yet. Their chicken w/ mangchego was pretty forgettable, but their NY strip and paella were killer and the rest of it was pretty damn good, too. While I would not have been very excited about their food had it been served at a restaurant, their staff are incredible. I have an extensive review of them in my bio.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married at the Courtyard at Lake Lucerne it definitely has some of the details you're looking for,but I also considered Casa Feliz as well.good luck!
    image 76 Invited
    image 51 Ready to Party
    image 13 missing out
    image 12 need to hurry up!
    RSVP Date:November 1
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    My Planning Bio
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You could also look into having it at the ballroom at church street. Has a lot of pretty stain glass and skylights with pretty chandeliers that in my mind make me think like that painting. The outside is not very french but is elegant looking. 

Maybe Leu Gardens, having a reception at night under the stars or a tent with white lights. 

Not sure if they do receptions but maybe the orlando art museum. Since your idea is focused on art.  Or try an art gallery like Gallery at Avalon Island, Grand Bohemian hotel has a lot of art (kinda french style), or Maitland art center.

Or for the french feel, disney port orleans hotel.  Very cool hotel, older but very quiet.

good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Leu Gardens does not allow any outdoor receptions at all. They must take place in their ballrooms, which look like my grandmother's house with 40 year old drapery. If you do want an outdoor reception with a tent, you'd probably be better off with Polasek Museum.

Orlando Museum of Art does host weddings, but I don't think it's going to be the atmosphere you're going for, so that's probably not the right art museum if you go that route. Irisheyez' suggestion of Port Orleans is a pretty good one, too. 
  • Options
    Maggie214624Maggie214624 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Another option might be the Orlando Science Center.  I know I have seen pictures of receptions on a roof top with hanging lights.  Pretty sure this wouldn't be in line with the French theme, but it did have a bit of the Starry Night effect. GL!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Awesome ideas ladies! I'm getting more excited about the locations you're listing!!

IMO The Polasek Museum is a nice place to visit I can't picture myself getting married there. Besides, I don't think his art work is anything like Van Gogh's.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards