Delaware

Pre-Marriage Counseling?

Hello everyone! I was wondering if anyone else was interested in getting pre-marriage counseling?  We're not religious so it wouldn't be for that reason.  I am currently interning as a therapist, work as a counselor and I'm going for my doctorate to be a Clinical Psychologist.  So, needless to say, I believe in therapy.  I think it is a great way to start off a marriage.I know from being in the field that many insurances will not pay for pre-martial counseling, but at a place I used to work we would put it under "Family Counseling" instead (you're going to be family soon enough, right? haha) so that insurances would pay.  Is anyone else thinking about doing this?  I guess if we're actually going to do it, we should start looking for someone.  One of the things I pride myself on in my relationship are our great communication skills and I just think this would be a great way for a third party to tell us what we could improve, as well as make us aware of maybe some issues that we haven't thought of as far as being married goes.Therapy excites me. Haha.  What about you?

Re: Pre-Marriage Counseling?

• lmicoluccilmicolucci member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    At my church, the ministers wife does the pre-marital counseling.  She is a minister too, and a therapist (as most are).  She told me that her husband works on the wedding aspect, and she works on the marriage aspect for couples.  I loved meeting with her and she was able to listen to us, our worries and such, and she really helped us to listen better to each other and communicate better. 
  • edited December 2011
    Our pastor is doing ours, since our church requires it.I can tell you that he is using a program called PREPARE/ENRICH, which is used by many pastors/couselors/therapists, of all non-religious and religious types.  The program starts with an inventory that both you and your fiancee take (it has several areas, from finances to family), and then they counsel you based on areas that show need it.  If they feel you need more than they can give, they refer you to a licensed psychologist.You can go to the website for PREPARE/ENRICH at [url]www.prepare-enrich.com[/url] and search to find a therapist/pastor in the area that uses it.
  • crfischecrfische member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Is it AS exciting as throwing your own engagement party?
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards