Wedding Reception Forum
Options

If you were a brunch wedding guest

I want to know what people like to have when they go out. Would you prefer: A) the basics (scrambled eggs, pancakes, bacon)  orB) something more sumptuous (quiche, shortbread waffles, prime rib)I'm leaning toward B because I'd want my guests to have things they normally wouldn't prepare at home.

Re: If you were a brunch wedding guest

• Options
    I definitely vote for B.  That seems more formal and more appropriate for a wedding, in my opinion.   
  • Options
    I would honestly be happy with either. I love breakfast foods.
  • Options
    B for a wedding reception. Fancier, more memorable, and more celebratory.
  • Options
    I had a brunch wedding and am still getting compliments on my menu which was similar to your choice "B": 1) fried green tomatoes, hush puppies and mini crab cakes as passed apps 2) tomato and mozzarella salad with basil and balsamic glaze 3) Beef tenderloin tips in crispy potato baskets & smoked chicken crepes with sweet potato homefries in a garlic cream sauce--it was AMAZING!!! :) 3) assorted petite fours and 3 flavors of wedding cake I was originally leaning towards a menu similar to "A", but my husband made the point that people can get that sort of food anywhere, and so we went with the more elaborate menu. We had the good fortune of having a famous American chef in our venue's kitchen so we chose to "show off' his skills a bit more than classic pancakes and eggs...HTH!!! :) PS--I think crepes are always a good choice as they can be savory (like mine were or with steak, peppers, onions) or sweet (nutella, banana, strawberry)...I would recommend a crepe station for a brunch reception no matter what you decide. People Love Crepes!!! Don't know what it is, but it's a fact!! :)
  • Options
    B, with mimosas, please!
  • Options
  • Options
    Oh, there will be mimosas for all in addition to tea, coffee, juice, water and ginger ale. I was thinking of crepes, shrimp and grits, prime rib, andouille sausage, a few types of quiche, shortbread waffles, biscuits and some type of home fries. Should I add in a few simpler things like plain scrambled eggs and bacon for the less adventurous? angelfire, how were the appetizers done? The caterer I'm looking at has ham and cheese biscuits and chicken and waffle appetizers that I was thinking of doing, but didn't know where to incorporate them.Also, I didn't know about pastries because there will be cake.
  • Options
    The maybes are a veggie display, croissants, a ham, pancakes, potato pancakes, crab cakes, smoked salmon, and bagels.The syrups, butters, compotes, and fruit display are a given.
  • Options
    You could do a mixture of A and B, or you could dress up the basics a tad - pancakes with topping options like brown sugar, chocolate chips, walnuts and strawberries.  The shortbread waffles or Belgian waffles with similar toppings, omelets, bacon, fresh local or tropical fruit, home fries with herbs, biscuits if your caterer makes good bread products.  And then a couple of the nicer options.The items in B look delicious, but people with less adventurous palettes or who love home cooked breakfast food will probably be more comfortable with A.  A brunch buffet with a good chef's version of the basics is much different than a home cooked breakfast, but still feels like breakfast.
  • Options
    I would imagine a brunch to consist of both. But if you had to choose one or the other, I would lean toward B.
  • Options
    oooh, those apps sound fantastic! I wanted to do a ham and cheese biscuit too, but were told the biscuits tend to get dry and hard, so that would be something to watch for. We just had our 3 apps passed during our cocktail hour, just teeny tiny bite sized pieces. Our cocktails were mimosas, bellinis and Bloody Mary's in addition to a full open bar. Even though it was 11 am, it was still a celebration!! Our reception was in the same place as our ceremony so they had to turn the room over from the courtyard, which is why I guess we had a cocktail hour in the first place. You're totally right the petite fours--cake is definitely enough!!! Plus, if you're planning on having all of the other dishes you mentioned....I think that is more than enough food for people to find something they like! I think if you do a 1) crepe station and 2) egg station, whatever else you pick will be the cherries on top. Those 2 things I think can please everyone in your crowd. GL!
  • Options
    My mother and I recently went to a champagne brunch at a luxury hotel, and the menu leaned more toward A but had some elements of B... There were fruit displays, a bagel, croissant, and muffin display (huge hit, this was gone in minutes), an omlette station (another popular one) with bacon/sausage, home fries, steak and eggs, pancakes/waffles, mini quiches etc. Everything was beautifully presented, which goes a long way when it comes to impressing your guests. For the pancakes/waffles they had several types (plain, strawberry/banana, chocolate chip, apple) and had gourmet syrups (blueberry, strawberry etc) and whipped cream.It was one of the best brunches I have ever had...I as well as most other people loved that it was mostly traditional breakfast foods.
  • Options
    I would want bacon eggs and wafflesCoffee is a must and one nice thing I saw at a brunch wedding was a fancy capachino bar
  • Options
    I would definitely go with a combo of A and B.  My wedding is August 30, also a brunch... and I talked to many of my guests before hand, and truthfully, as nice as those "fancy foods" look, a lot of people just like down home cooking instead!  (And I'm a vegetarian, so had to choose some things I would eat!) We're having crepes, cheese blintzes, belgian waffles with fruit, quiche, eggs benedict... and also good old bacon, sausage, and scambled eggs!  (And some basics like fresh fruit, bagels, danish).  There will definitely be something for everyones taste!And regardless of it's something people can have at home... it always tastes better when you don't have to prepare it yourself!Best wishes for a beautiful wedding and brunch!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards