Florida-North Florida

Holy Expensive Publix

I just got a quote online from a Publix associates for one of their cakes and it's more expensive than what I would spend at an actual bakery in town.  I'm still going to meet with them, but holy crap.  I figured they would be a lot cheaper.

Re: Holy Expensive Publix

• clseale13clseale13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It really depends on the bakery. Some bakeries are ridiculous. We found our baker and he's doing different flavors, and some flourish work for $4.50 a slice. Publix isn't always cheaper...or enough of a difference if you really find a baker you love.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • katiek200katiek200 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Navy this is the reason we changed to a baker. Publix quoted us the same price as our baker, and with out baker we get free delivery, fondant, and much better tasting cake!!
  • janedoe1113ajanedoe1113a member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The only downside with the bakery we're thinking of using is they have an outrageous delivery charge so we're going to have to pick it up ourselves.
  • clseale13clseale13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah...that would make me nervous. It's not as easy as you would think to transport those things.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
    edited December 2011
    I know, I'm kind of freaking out about it.  The road to our site is gravel so it's freaking me out even more.  I just don't want to pay half the price of our cake for them to deliver it.
  • katiek200katiek200 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Navybaby you are good at negotiating! Tell them about your blog and if they reduce their delivery fee you will feature them or something :)
    edited December 2011
    If we decide to use them, I'm definitely going to try to negotiate that delivery fee down.
  • duncanpowersduncanpowers member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ouch!! I think the word is starting to get out about Publix wedding cakes, so they're upping their prices, but that's just a guess.
  • edited December 2011
    I hope you have a better experience with Publix than I did!  The women at our local publix are so rude.  They were not willing to discuss the cake with me at all.  She come out from around the counter and gets out her pad and is like what do you want?  I was bummed because I actually liked one of their cakes just wanted to make some minor changes like i'd heard other people had done.  Oh well, we went with another bakery that was recommended and the pricing is about the same for more servings.Good Luck!
    edited December 2011
    I've heard it definitely depends on the Publix you look into.  We have 3 that are within 3 miles of our house, so we have plenty of options.
  • edited December 2011
    I was really surprised by Publix's prices too.  They aren't very cheap anymore.
    BFP #1 Sept. 2011 EDD 5.25.12 missed MC on 11.17.11 | BFP #2 4.30.12 11dpo EDD 1.10.13 | Grow, baby, grow!
    01.03.09 {MARRIED BIO}
    imageimageimagePregnancy Ticker
  • wildangel2189wildangel2189 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey navy,  ask Kimberly (from the venu) she might be able to tell you of some one that is not as expensive. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards