Catholic Weddings

Conditional Baptism

I had posted a few months back about Fi's baptism record was no where to be found so i got his first communion and confirmation certificate and the diocese accepted it. But today we get a call from our priest saying the now they want us to do a conditional baptism during the ceremony right before the vows. I understand why this all has to be done but has anyone seen this done at a wedding before? I don't know if to add it in the program or not.

Re: Conditional Baptism

• edited December 2011
    I've never seen it done at a wedding before.  A friend of mine (similar situation -- couldn't find a baptismal certificate, and it had been done overseas) was conditionally baptized in a separate ceremony about a week before the wedding.
  • edited December 2011
    I believe the OP posted a while back that the diocese or archdiocese doesn't have the records of her fi's baptism, either.A conditional baptism isn't a "re-baptism," since the Church teaches that only one baptism is valid to confer the graces of the sacrament.  (That's why most converts who were baptized in other Christian denominations don't have to receive the sacrament of baptism again.)  A conditional baptism is one performed when it's not clear whether the person has been validly baptized -- e.g. if there are no records of their baptism, if they were baptized in another church that may or may not have baptized in the Trinitarian formula, etc.   The form is "N., if you are not yet baptized, I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit."I guess I'm still not sure why the priest would want to perform the conditional baptism at the wedding ceremony itself.  Couldn't it be done before the ceremony, separately?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards