New Jersey
Options

Marriage Licenses: A Primer, by yours truly

-To be married in NJ, you must fill out the form, which can be found online. You can also fill out a copy at the office once you get there, but it is easier to have it done ahead of time. Just DON'T sign it. -If you live in NJ, you get the license from the town the bride and/or groom lives in. This would be the town that is on either of your drivers licenses. If you have recently moved and not changed your legal address, then you have to apply in the town where your LEGAL address is. If you do NOT live in NJ, you get the license in the town where the marriage is taking place. -You must bring a witness over the age of 18. They can be related to you. It is best if they know one of you for at least 5 years (this is what I was told). They will have to affirm that they know you. You will also have to affirm that you aren't closely related, and are of sound mind. -You must pay $28 in CASH or a MONEY ORDER. No checks! Bring as close to exact change as possible (DH tried to pay with a $100 bill and had to go to an ATM for smaller bills) -For proof of identification, you may use your passport, birth certificate, a drivers license, or a form of govt issued ID (military ID, for instance) -You must provide your mothers' maiden names and where your parents were born. -Bring your Social Security card. They may ask for it, they may not. Better safe than sorry. -You may apply for a marriage license up to SIX MONTHS before the marriage is to take place. -You may not pick it up for AT LEAST 72 hours. (They have to check to see if you were married before) -Once you pick up the license, it is then stamped and thereby validated. -Once it is validated, it is valid for THIRTY days. So, if you apply today - July 31st - you can pick it up on August 5th(b/c you can't pick it up on a weekend). It is then valid until September 4th (31 days in August!). If you apply today, and you're getting married September 15th, you just can't pick it up until August 16th. -After the wedding, you must go to the clerk in the town where the MARRIAGE TOOK PLACE, NOT where you applied. Your officiant will submit the marriage license to that town for you. -You may receive 2 different types of certificates - one for the SSA with a raised seal, another for use with your job, health insurance, credit card companies and banks, etc.

Re: Marriage Licenses: A Primer, by yours truly

• Options
    edited December 2011
    And thank you, Sinthya, for still having this info handy :)
  • Options
    Partymixx27Partymixx27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Unless the bride and groom live in the same town, I was told that you must apply in the town that the bride lives in, but if the bride lives out of state, then you apply in the town the groom lives in.  The town that is on the driver's license.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Nope, doesn't matter. My H and I lived together, but my "legal address" was different. We applied in the town of his legal address, no problems.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    but, but you didn't provide the link to the form...now what am I supposed to do? How do I find it?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You may not pick it up for AT LEAST 72 hours. (They have to check to see if you were married before)I worked in Neptune Township's Vital Statistics Office and we never used the 3 day waiting period to check if anyone was married. The 3 day waiting period is actually to make sure no one is rushing into things.  Just in case you wanted to know that! lol
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    wow. thanks for all the information. this is great.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    MrsnotMs - My aunt (father's brother's wife) divorced my uncle to be with some guy she met on the internet (this is like 12 years ago). He was from out west somewhere, but moved here to be with her. They were going to get married, applied for the license, they were denied b/c he was still legally married to someone else out of state. If they don't check how else would that have been found? Oh, did I mention my uncle remarried her? My family is SO strange.
  • Options
    alliecarrie41alliecarrie41 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    -You may not pick it up for AT LEAST 72 hours. (They have to check to see if you were married before) never picked mine up, it was just mailed to my priest.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    didn't you get married in NY, Allie?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    As far as payment goes, I wrote a check, so the no checks isn't everywhere.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you!

Tara & Jose 10.17.10
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    no, i was married in NJ.  my reception was in NY.
  • Options
    Kelly&TimothyKelly&Timothy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for taking the time to spell it all out.I will be saving it in the wedding file ASAP. Lord knows I will not remember the detail in 4 months. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hey Kate, where is your "Name Change: A Primer"... I could have sworn you had one!
  • Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A close relative can be your witness.  Or at least that was the case two years ago when we applied.  My mom was our witness, the town registrar definitely knew that she is my mom, and there was no issue.  And if there is no actual requirement that the person has known you for 5 years plus, I can't imagine it matters that the person has known you for 2 years versus 5 years.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ditto uppereast... never heard of this. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Every township does things their own way.  I think what Kate stated are the "official" rules.  For example, Manalapan told me I had to apply there (address on my, the bride's, driver's license).  But their hours sucked, so we just went to Robbinsville (groom's legal address) and it wasn't a problem.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    They can be related to you. It is best if they know one of you for at least 5 years (this is what I was told). They will have to affirm that they know you. You will also have to affirm that you aren't closely related, and are of sound mind. The witness CAN be closely related to you. Ours was my MIL. The witness has to affirm you and your FI aren't closely related to EACH OTHER, like first cousins, and are not under duress.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards