South Asian Weddings

Mystery!

I thought I'd share this mystery with you all because it's sort of funny.  Our response cards are going to my super Caucasian parents, who live out of town.  We didn't fill in guest names on the response cards - they're the ones that have a M_______________ on them.  Anyway, my parents have been sending us e-mails as responses come in telling us who's coming.  So far the cards they've gotten have been mostly their friends and family.  Last night they send me this e-mail saying they got a yes response from three guests but they don't know the name.  I called them, and they said they think someone just wrote "three guests" with no names on the response line!  Anyway, when I asked more about it, they said they're really confused and think it says "three guests" but maybe it's just an Indian name they don't know that looks like "three guests!"  I'm going to their house tonight anyway, so maybe I'll solve the mystery.  But either we have "three guests" who are slightly clueless or fi and I are in for quite a ride as my parents try to tell us which of our Indian guests have said yes or no. 

Re: Mystery!

• Meghana55Meghana55 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    LOL Hope you're able to figure it out!  Did you number the rsvps?  I discovered the numbering thing AFTER I sent mine out so I was SOL.  We had a couple of people who didn't understand the concept of writing their name in.  You may not be able to solve the mystery until more rsvps come in! 
  • edited December 2011
    No, I should have, but I think I was too clueless to realize numbering them was an option.  I haven't logged the rsvps yet.
  • edited December 2011
    I didn't number the cards either-I actually forgot about it-and when I did remember the invites were already sent. I just got a RSVP card back yesterday-same thing. The line was blank with a not attending. Here is the best part-it was someone from FI's list (we knew by the postmark). And here he was talking about my desis!
    ExerciseMilestone
  • edited December 2011
    ooooh... numbering. SUCH a good idea.  I'll have to file that away in my brain for future reference. GL with the mystery guests sistergh!
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah a friend of mine numbered the back of hers and its funny she said one person wrote in th brides name on the line! shes like "well yeah... I know I am attending my own wedding...." some people are clueless.
  • edited December 2011
    We ended up filling in the invitee's name on the line ourselves before we sent out the invitations.  I just knew we would have a lot of people who would do something like that so I decided it was easier to just fill in the name myself!
  • edited December 2011
    Ha.  Totally reminds me of my poor sister, who is collecting RSVPs for my mehendi/bridal shower, and half the guest list is FI's family.  She had a hard enough time with the people who emailed RSVPs because no one knew anyone's last names, so they didn't match up with what FMIL had given her, and the names were strange to her anyway.  ... But the bigger problem was with the people who called, because my sister couldn't understand the names through the accents.  She couldn't understand any of them!!  She would ask to repeat themselves and still not know after three times and get embarrassed.  So she would just write down the phone numbers from caller ID and send them to me to figure out.  Poor girl!
  • edited December 2011
    That's pretty much why my parents decided to fill in the line on the RSVP cards for their invitees.  For mine and FI's parents, we used the numbering system.  Thank god for wedding sites and blogs!!
  • edited December 2011
    So the reply card pretty clearly says "3 guests."  Need to figure out who the three guests are.  Interestingly, we had our first Indian extended family add-on on Friday.  A friend of fi's from undergrad (someone who honestly wasn't on a lot of versions of our list and was never someone I expected to come as he's out of town and not in the best of contact with fi) rsvped with his wife and brother, who fi doesn't know.  The brother's also out of town and doesn't live with or near the guest, so it's a little bit unexpected.  I'm a little annoyed because I've told good friends of both of ours they can't bring dates, including one date who's actually a friend of ours that we couldn't invite because of space.  But I don't see fi telling his friend he can't bring his brother, I guess because he says in India an invite means bring your whole family and therefore it would be strange to the guest.  Ugghh!!!!   
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards