Jewish Weddings

Q: baby shower gift?

Hi all...I know this has come up before, but I'd like some advice. A friend of mine (Jew by Choice) will be having a baby shower in August (the baby is due in November). They've been wanting a child for several years and had to go through a lot. I'm very superstitious -- this would be my first Jewish baby shower (pre-baby). She might be registered somewhere but I'm hesitant to buy a baby gift if, god forbid, something happens. I was thinking of getting a Target gift card so they can use it toward whatever they wanted. I know it isn't as cute as an outfit (I thought I would toss in a certificate for the first pair of mouse ears from Disneyland or something). Do you think a gift card would be OK?
Adam & Shoshie 10-21-07: "My family is big and loud and everybody's in each other's lives and business. ... but wherever I go, they will always be there." * My Blog: Tales of a Hopeful Jewish Mom to Be * BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Q: baby shower gift?

• RachiemooRachiemoo member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    yes i personally think it would be fine to just get the gift card.  this was actually discussed on P&E earlier today (but for a different reason, the registry only had super expensive items!)
    image BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah, i think the gift card is a great idea.  you can always buy a cute outfit after the baby is born.
  • MoFreeMoFree member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you're not comfortable buying an actual gift, then by all means get a gift card to Target. There will be plenty of occasions to buy the baby something from Disneyland. BTW, it's really nice to hear about another infertility success story.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • silversparkssilversparks member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A gift card is definitely ok, and may be way more appreciated than an outfit, especially at a place like target where they can either choose to use it specifically for baby items or the things they need for their house once the baby arrives!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • signingjuliesigningjulie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A gift card to Target is always appreciated.  Is she registered there? either way, they have lots of baby stuff she can probably use. 
  • edited December 2011
    Gift cards are VERY MUCH appreciated. We ended up having to return a bunch of stuff because no one got us our car seat! Just make sure it's for a place they registered. Like Babies R Us .....I got a lot for Target, but most of what I need is at BRU.
    The Knot won't share my Bump Siggy, so here's the low-down: 4/27/07 - Got engaged! 8/31/08 - Got married (to my best friend)! 12/30/08 - Got Pregnant! 9/3/09 - Welcome to the world, Elias Solomon! 8/16/10 - Got Pregnant, again! 5/14/11 - Welcome to the world, Talia Hadassah! 1/14/12 - Ready or not, here comes #3 (EDD 9/27/12)
  • ShoshieShoshie member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    [quote]Just make sure it's for a place they registered. Like Babies R Us .....I got a lot for Target, but most of what I need is at BRU.[/quote]The problem is, if I get them a BRU card, and (godforbid) something happens to the baby, they can only use it at BRU for baby things. Vs. target (or even Ralph's grocery store) where they can get other things, too.
    Adam & Shoshie 10-21-07: "My family is big and loud and everybody's in each other's lives and business. ... but wherever I go, they will always be there." * My Blog: Tales of a Hopeful Jewish Mom to Be * BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards