Wedding Reception Forum

Song to dance wiht Step Father

My father passed away from Cancer the day before my 4th birthday.. and my wedding day is going to be very emotional for me as he wont be there to walk me down the aisle. I need a song to dance to with my step dad.. i havent had the best relationship with him but over the last 1-2 years things have changed and yes he has been there for my mom and older sister... but he will never be the " dad" .. i dont call him dad either. Does anyone have any suggestions on songs to dance to... please help, this is really difficult for me as i really was undecided onto whether i should even do a dance bc it is known as the "father /daughter" dance as this is really REALLY difficult please help

Re: Song to dance wiht Step Father

• Why not just skip it?  There's no point in doing it at all if it is difficult for you and if you aren't close to him. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Personally I'm considering having John Mayer's "Daughters" for the father/daughter dance, as I find the song beautifulIf you're not totally comfortable or happy, maybe make it an everyone dance, so invite all the fathers & daugthers or mothers & daughters up to dance?
  • lilyswish - my best friend used Daughters to dance with her Dad, but have you ever really listened to the lyrics?  It's about a girl whose Dad leaves her, and she's left "cleaning up the mess he made".  It's telling Dads to be good to their daughters and not screw them up for the future, "daughters will love like you do".  I just didn't think it was appropriate for a father/daughter dance unless the Dad left you and you're trying to tell him something.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • lorizaloriza member
    First Comment
    My step-father and I have also had a very strained relationship and only started warming up to one another a few years ago. I struggled to find a song because I was dead-set against anything sappy (butterfly kisses, i loved her first, etc), they just didn't fit us. We're dancing to Paul Simon's Father and Daughter. It's not so much lovey-dovey as it is about the father just being there to look out for his daughter and wanting life to be good to her. While I haven't always liked my step-father, he has been there looking out and helping, so it fit. I also like that the song is a little more upbeat and didn't feel like we were trying to force a 'moment'. Good Luck!
    TTC since 8/2010 DH diagnosed Azoo 1/2012 Vas reconstructive surgery 4/2012 waiting...testing...more waiting...no improvement IVF #1 planned for 1/2013
  • What about a song that makes you happy versus a song that exemplifies your relationship?Isn't She Lovely by Stevie WonderBrown Eyed Girl (if it applies?)The Beatles have a bunch of good songs that may be appropriate, but not sentimental...You could do a search for songs that have your name in the title, too.Good Luck!
  • No offense to PP's but I wouldn't do butterfly kisses or the John Mayer, because it's more about true father/daughter relations. My feeling from you is you want something nice, respectful, etc. Consider; "My Wish" by Rascall Flatts or "I hope you Dance." They are both songs about someone wishing someone well and hoping their life is wonderful.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards