North Carolina
Options

Tipping Florist?

How much did you tip your florist?

My bill, after tax, delivery charge, etc, was almost $800.  Help, I don't have a clue.

Re: Tipping Florist?

• Options
    pirategal03pirategal03 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not planning to tip my florist.  He owns his own business.  Delivery isn't an "above and beyond" thing, it's part of the job. 

If you're thinking of tipping whomever delivers and sets up, if it's not the owner, I'd think around 10% would be plenty.

theknot has a whole article on tipping somewhere out there, I can't find the link to it right this second. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    it has nothing to do with who owns the business it's all about good service and nothing else. 

otherwise you would never tip most hair stylists...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yea I mean its Harris Teeter and the florist is a designer for HT.  That might help. I don't know, I'll look for that article.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina_tipping-florist?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:115Discussion:c2f9c42a-392b-4545-99f2-44d98fb1a6acPost:65555246-29ae-40d3-9a13-2dce679d11ef">Re: Tipping Florist?</a>:
    [QUOTE]it has nothing to do with who owns the business it's all about good service and nothing else.  otherwise you would never tip most hair stylists...
    Posted by andrea01012009[/QUOTE]

I disagree.  And so do a lot of Etiquette guides.  I would tip a hairstylist if they don't own the business.  The owner receives what the business makes, if their service is above and beyond, then sure an extra tip is nice.  But the business owner's income is not dependent upon tips, paying for the service is paying the business owner. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina_tipping-florist?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:115Discussion:c2f9c42a-392b-4545-99f2-44d98fb1a6acPost:5dcb138c-970b-436a-a42a-79b804851b2d">Re: Tipping Florist?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yea I mean its Harris Teeter and the florist is a designer for HT.  That might help. I don't know, I'll look for that article.
    Posted by sundrop24[/QUOTE]

This is different from what I was talking about above.  As an employee of the company, the person arranging your flowers isn't pocketing any of what you pay for the flowers.  I think a tip is appropriate here. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    is still doesn't matter who's the owner and who's the employee, it's just about being rewarded for good service in my book.  don't think for a minute that mark mitchell didn't expect a tip when he cut hair in his place of business...
  • Options
    eshevenelleshevenell member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It does actually matter if the service comes from the owner or employee - it's not all about good service.  You're not supposed to tip an owner - they make money off of your business already.  Not to mention, if they want to stay in business, you pretty much expect quality service!  It's an employee that the tip matters to. 

In this case, I'd probably tip the florist, but I don't think tipping your florist is a requirement.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: Tipping Florist?:
    [QUOTE]I'm not planning to tip my florist.  He owns his own business.  Delivery isn't an "above and beyond" thing, it's part of the job.  If you're thinking of tipping whomever delivers and sets up, if it's not the owner, I'd think around 10% would be plenty. theknot has a whole article on tipping somewhere out there, I can't find the link to it right this second. 
    Posted by pirategal03[/QUOTE]

This. We did not tip the florist, she owns the business.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I work at a florist and we never get tipped. The drivers and those setting up hardly ever get tipped. I have heard about it very very few times and never at a wedding. If you tip it wil be very unexpected and very appriciated. The best way to tip your florist is with a good review on google or citysearch!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards