New Hampshire
Options

NWR: Closing on a home, Rant!

Sorry to bother everyone with this Long rant, but Im a little upset (over something really small). We are set to close on Friday morning. We're ready to go in terms of financing and contingencies. Today my realtor (who is in the same office as the Listing agent) called me to Tell me that I also need to bring a check for $200 to closing, written to the seller, for the oil that he had delivered and is still in the tank. Now this is the first time im hearing about this, and nothing was stated in the contract. I understand that we need oil whether we pay the oil company directly or reimburse the seller. However, wtf?? When you buy a car, you dont pay separately for the gas already in the tank? Right. So my problem is the oil shouldve been factored in with the listing price... and we offered the full asking price, so why are we obligated to pay for this? Anyone gone through this themselves? Is this normal or am I being taken advantage because we're young and naive? Im very disappointed in our "buyers agent" because I feel like she is kissing the sellers butt to get her commission. Should I refuse to pay this? I know its not a lot but, were kind of strapped b/w the wedding the house.What would you do!!!!!?

Re: NWR: Closing on a home, Rant!

• Options
    ljparentljparent member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We were a little peeved about the oil thing too because no one told us until closing! I would in closing ask the seller to waive it, ours did. It would be worth a try but bring the checkbook just in case!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I had to do the same thing- and no one told me until the closing! I think it is common, a cars gas tank maybe $20 bucks but a full oil tank is a lot of money. Sorry, it does suck.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Congrats on your closing - sorry about your "surprises"The agents should be bending over backwards for YOU - there are FAR MORE sellers than buyers.  Sounds like a pretty common charge - but you can tell them you're not impressed with their customer service a few days before closing.
  • Options
    matchbox920matchbox920 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It sucks, but it's definitely a common thing. We had that come up as well. Unfortunately, just one more way for them to get $$$!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I work in real estate and this is common... you can try to refuse to pay it, but Im not sure that it will work out... What is the closing date per your P&S?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it's just one of those things and you probably won't be able to get around it, but I would probably ask someone to measure the oil level before you pay based on their word that it's full with $200 worth of goods. Good luck & congrats!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    amandasblum- 7/31/09, which worked out, we are right on schedule (no delays, knock on wood)
  • Options
    abart21abart21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just took a first time homebuyers course because we are thinking about getting a house.  In the course they let us know that this would be something that we would have to pay for.  I agree that they should have told you.  In order for it to be factored into the deal you would have to specify it in your offer.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards