Georgia-Atlanta
Options

Becoming a wedding planner...

Hi all. :) Has anyone considered becoming a bridal consultant through planning your own wedding? If so, are there any suggestions on an online program of study? I just don't trust Google and I'm hoping someone out there will have some helpful info. Thank you :)

Re: Becoming a wedding planner...

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Do not waste your time and money on an online course. Become an assistant planner first and make sure it is what you want to do. The hours are long and it is really hard work. I know planning your own wedding is fun but helping someone else with their wedding is totally different. Google local planners and email or call them to see if they have a need for an assistant. It might not pay (much) but at least you will get the feel for the job and make sure it is something you really want to do.
  • Options
    JillishappyJillishappy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well to be honest, I have worked with a wedding planner. She did not take a course online so she did not have any resources, but I am interested. I realize this is not the same as planning my own wedding, I just meant that it helped spark an interest.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What do you mean by she had no resources?
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    While I appreciate the advice, I wasn't really asking whether if would be hard work or not. I have decided that I would like to pursue a career as a wedding coordinator and I'm simply asking if anyone has any helpful resources. Thanks so much. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If the girl you worked for did not take an online course why do you feel you need to take one? Online courses only teach you etiquette, and these days anything goes. But if you feel the need to take an online course I hear weddingsolutions.com has a decent one. You can also go through the Association for Bridal Consultants.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't feel that I need to...I want to. Thanks for the advice.
  • Options
    askmetostayaskmetostay member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    if anyone here had become a wedding planner...they aren't allowed to tell you, or risk getting banned by the knot for being a vendor.so you probably won't get much help.
  • Options
    DulittleBrideDulittleBride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The ABC, or Association of Bridal Consultants, is the best place to learn and get accreditation. No, you don't have to have accreditation but it helps in any industry.http://www.bridalassn.com/TakeASeminarA.aspxThey apparently have seminars coming up for Atlanta.I will tell you that this market is way over flooded with consultants and many are not doing very well now because of the increase of DIY.  There are more coordinators than there are clients wanting to hire them and a lot of clients want only "day of" which coordinators are finding difficult to make a living off of. (Just FYI from my coordinator)
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    DuLittle...I really appreciate your reply. I've realized from posting on the Knot, which I do very little of, sometimes you do not get helpful answers but snooty comments. Sooo..it's nice to get a helpful response without all the other crap. :) Appreciate it!!
  • Options
    askmetostayaskmetostay member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    no one said anything snooty.  just so you know.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ...and some people feel the need to comment when their comment is completely unnecessary. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    How on earth do you think you are going to be a help to anyone if you act like this when people offer you helpful advice?
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I asked if anyone could suggest an online course and I got a few great suggestions...and I very much appreciate it! :) What I do not appreciate is when someone feels the need to comment just for the sake of commenting. I did not ask if it would be a piece of cake career or if I could make lots of money. I'm just interested in learning! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Jill, I chose my DOC because she has been professionally trained. Don't know if she got her training on-line or not. I know that she is in the process of establsihing her own association for training/program of study, so maybe it's the way to go if you are serious. If you want her contact info, check 'kikifly' bio or 'tgirl' bio. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the tip Nat!!
  • Options
    Mrs_CarrollMrs_Carroll member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Easy on the :)! Princess Annie and others offered you great advice. Whether or not it was what you wanted to hear is your problem. That's what you get when you ask a message board. I wish this board had an eye roll emoticon....
  • Options
    YankeePeachYankeePeach member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Amen, Candace!  To be honest, if I interviewed a consultant before my wedding and she told me that she graduated with honors from iwannaplanweddings.com's online degree program I'd giggle to myself a little... and then ask her for references from her past brides. As with just about any vendor, it's the experience and not the education that brides are looking for.  You'd be better served spending your time getting more experience in the field, and you'd save yourself some money too.  (IMHO)
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh I just love rude girls.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    How the heck are they being rude? Please share with us. They have all offered great advice. If you don't want to listen to their advice then just go back to Googling or actually call up a wedding planner in your area. 8-) (Here you go Candy, my eye rolling emoticon. I got it from the MSN emoticons list. LOL)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Mrs_CarrollMrs_Carroll member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you think we're rude, then you're in for a real treat in the wedding world. It has lots of puppies and rainbows waiting for you. Good luck.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I hate to break it to you Jill, but we're the brides of Atlanta.  If you want to be a bridal consultant here, you better like girls like us.  Because we're your customers.
    Baby Boxer is coming! 5.23.12
    www.focushunting.com
  • Options
    mrsmozzarellamrsmozzarella member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Jill, you should know yourself that brides are probably the most difficult group of people for whom you can work (aside from women in L&D), so being responsive to other's ideas and opinions is paramount. That being said, my coordinator was a member of the Association of Bridal Consultants.  I really liked knowing that she had gone through all of the appropriate steps to really call herself a qualified wedding coordinator.  She had been an apprentice and has been working on her own for many years.  I will say that it was her personality and experience that made me choose her, though, not her credentials.  Try not to take everything said here so personally. It is a message board and people are free to share as they like.  Some of the best advice is often given in a thread that might have otherwise been considered off-topic.  Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards