South Asian Weddings

DJ Recs and Pricing

Hi, I am about to start my search for a DJ and could use some insight.  I saw from previous posts that people have used Magic Mike, DJ Raj, Insomnia, and Volcanik.  Can anyone give me any others in the NJ area or comment on the ones I've just mentioned?  Also, I am trying to know what to expect in terms of price before meeting with them - I am looking for a reception DJ, MC, and LED/gobo/intelligent lighting - what's the "going rate" for something like that in the NJ area?

Re: DJ Recs and Pricing

• Meghana55Meghana55 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We used Insomnia and he was fantastic!!   He brought DJ Gaurav with him to help out.  First of all, he wasn't uber cheesy like a lot of DJs out there.  Our lighting/GOBO looked great.  And most importantly, everyone was out on the dance floor the whole time.  We're still getting people telling us how great the music/dancing was and how they've never seen a wedding dance floor so packed and crazy.  We've had other friends who have also decided to use him because of how much they enjoyed the music at our wedding.  I'd definitely recommend him!!  As far as cost, it depends if you're using the DJ just for the reception, or if you're also using him for ceremony, baraat, etc.  Also lighting depends on the size of the room.  The lowest that I've seen for just lighting (from DJs or lighting companies) is about $750.   I have to get the DJs name, but I went to a wedding recently and the DJ was beyond horrible.  I'll try and find out and let everyone know who it was so they steer clear!
  • edited December 2011
    I know you've posted before but I forget if you and your FI are both SA or if only one of you is SA.  In any case, if you are a mixed couple, then I wholeheartedly reccommend Colorblind Productions in NJ.  They DJ'd at our wedding and they really made our party great.  They really mixed the music of our two cultures and that was the best part of the night!  They are also very affordable.  Their basic DJ package starts at $1,100.  For lighting, etc. the costs are here: http://www.colorblindprd.com/pricing.htmlIf you are both SA, then maybe they wouldn't be the best bet for you.  But just in case you are an intercultural bride and groom, I wanted to throw that out there!
  • edited December 2011
    great, thank you both!  we are looking for reception coverage only.  FI is SA and I am not, so any DJs that can appeal to both will be helpful, although I do love Indian music!  The best weddings I have been to have been where people won't leave the dance floor all night, and I am hoping we can recreate that!  thx again and have a great weekend.
  • Meghana55Meghana55 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've heard good things about colorblind as well.Also - Insomnia played a good mix of Hindi/Bollywood/Bhangra and all of the regular American dance music
  • edited December 2011
    What percentage of your guests will be SA?  Are you planning a traditional Indian wedding or a fusion event?  Colorblind was fantastic for our fusion celebration but it sounds like you probably couldn't go wrong with any of the SA DJs, either, because they all play a mix of SA/non-SA music.  If you have any questions about Colorblind, feel free to email me at dublintomadras at gmail dot com.  They were one of our favorite vendors because they just exceeded our expectations in every way.  OK, gushing over.
  • edited December 2011
    We used DJ Shahid from Rose Events based on a recommendation from a friend.  He turned out to be great.  We used him for the sangeet, baraat, wedding ceremony, and reception.  Plus he included a dhol player for the baraat, lighting for both nights including LED/gobo/intelligent lighting.  the music was fantastic, we got tons of compliments and he really played to keep the crowd going.  the MC was energetic, and he has a couple of MCs you can choose from.  finally, he played a great mix of SA/non-SA western music.  i actually prefer SA music at weddings, liked the non-SA music he played.  It all worked out really well.  I gave him a list of songs I wanted played for pivotal moments and he got all of them right.  He brought a crew with him, provided projection screens (we actually didn't want those).  He also brings his own photographer to help supplement your photography.  This was actually kind of annoying, cause sometimes he'd get in the way, but  but he turned otu to be helpful because he caught some cute moments tht our photogs had to miss because they were caught up in the ceremony. all in all i'd recommend him, and i know you can negotiate with him for the pricing. 
  • edited December 2011
    oh regarding pricing, we paid $6000 for ALL our services including the two nights of coverage.  we probably required about 17 hours of total coverage between both days.  but if you just need coverage for the reception you should be able to knock off a pretty hefty amount of that.  i think i have pricing breakdowns for both Shahid and DJ Sharad, if you're interested in this info email me at deepti and samir at gmail dot com and i can send it over to you!
  • edited December 2011
    deepti thanks so much for the great feedback.  I will e-mail you for the pricing info.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards