Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Almost fainted in my wedding dress...

I had my fitting at David's Bridal today and it was a little warm in the back room where they do alterations. Standing there in one spot for 20+ mins, my legs were starting to sweat and I was starting to get dizzy. One of the ladies asked me, "Are you ok?" and she stated I was a little flushed and I was yawning... and the girls who get dizzy and faint always yawn first. A glass of cold water and a peppermint and sitting in front of a fan helped, but I couldn't get out of my perfect dress fast enough! Makes me nervous, but I hope it's colder out in Sept for my wedding. FYI girls, bring some cold water for your fitting and if you start to yawn and get dizzy... say something before you hit the floor with pins all over the place! :P

Re: Almost fainted in my wedding dress...

• Options
    Kind of off topic, but who the he11 gave you a peppermint?  Nothing like giving someone who is about to pass out a choking hazard.Anyway, you sure it wasn't a panic attack?
  • Options
    i had the exact same experience when i first tried on my gown! it was in my homw and my dress is very heavy. it started getting warm and i felt faint. i just leaned against the wall for a few minutes while my future MIL got me a glass of water. i'm a little worried about wearing my gown in june next year! i'm hoping it's not going to be too hot.
  • Options
    When I first met my seamstress, I had to try on my dress after having walked a block carrying it in 90 degree heat.  I was able to keep my bearings straight, but I started to sweat in it which has me worried what if we do get a perfectly warm 90 degree California spring day the day of my April wedding?Lots of water the night before too would be good.  And make sure your ceremony venue has the air conditioning turned on full blast. 
  • Options
    It's not uncommon for people to faint in fittings because they lock their knees when standing in the same position for so long.
  • Options
    I agree with PP.  If you are standing in one spot for an extended period of time, be sure to NOT lock your knees.  I know this may sound stupid, but rock back and forth if you have to to step side to side for a second or two.  A wedding I was in last year, before it started, the priest made sure to remind us all of this.  It's a good word of advice.
  • Options
    Thanks for reminding us of the cold water.  When I tried on my dress, I was really hot.  That's why I decided to buy a hoop skirt instead of a crinolin so I can get a little air down there.  Glad you made it through your fitting alive!
    Dr. Googs is married to Mr. Pelvis. Happily ever after!
  • Options
    Did you eat anything that day? If you have low blood sugar or are dehydrated you are more likely to faint.
  • Options
    I learned early on in my military career that standing in place without moving can be hard to do, and passing out is very common.Make sure you have shoes that you feel stable in, and can wiggle your toes (for blood flow).The night before, drink a Powerade pr Gatorade. It'll help you retain what you need through the wedding day.While peppermint is proven to aid alertness, it's the smell not the taste. Make sure your bridal emergency kit has a smelling salt or peppermint oil. If you feel faint, say something right away. Sit down and start making and releasing fists with your hands - this works a lot of the same way as put putting your head between your legs.Will you be wearing a corset? May sure your body has the room to breathe that it needs.And most of all, relax. You won't be holding perfectly still during the ceremony. And you'll be holding the hand of the man you love. It will all be alright. As long as you are prepared - you'll be a timeless bride who pulled the day off with pure elegance.Good luck!

My Blog: Jalara's Chronicles
    5 miscarriages of 6 babies, 2 IVF cycles and now we are choosing another path.
    Untitled
    ?Everyone is welcome.?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards