Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

Shellac vs. Gelish Nails

Hi Ladies,
Does anyone know the difference between a shellac manicure and a gelish manicure?  I was looking through the Nail Montage website and noticed they offer both shellac and gelish, which to me, appears like the same thing.  Thanks :)

Re: Shellac vs. Gelish Nails

• I believe it's 2 brands of the same thing. 

Word of warning though - I will never, ever do the shellac nails again.  I did them for a cruise recently and while they were on they were fantastic but now that they're off my nails are in worse shape than when I quit doing acryllics.  I'll be suprised if they're in reasonable shape for my May wedding.
  • I did Axxium nails for my wedding, which is the OPI brand of Shellac, I believe. I thought they were great -- they looked way better than when I've had acrylics in the past, and my nails were pretty beat-up when the stuff came off, but I also peeled them off myself instead of soaking them off like you're supposed to. It was nothing that some clear nail polish/strengthener couldn't take care of, though.
  • I love and have been using Gelish for 2yrs + (but I think it is just two different brands like PP said)... my only warning is I have noticed my nails react badly if I have to soak them in acetone, so I stick to a classic french (then you don't have to soak them each time like when you change between colors). With any "fake nail" product, your nails will need a little TLC if/when you take the product off, but any nail tech should be able to recommend a good stregthener for you! Good luck!
  • Shellac is more firm and makes the nails feel stronger.. gelish is thinner and more of just a polish. I acually liked gellish better.. I got a french and it looked shiney and fresh for like 2 weeks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards