Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Older child ceremony token ideas?

We are joining families and would like to give tokens to the children within the ceremony of our committment to them. Younger daughter - no problem. She loves jewelry. Older son is 12, he could care less and would never wear a ring, bracelet, etc. Any ideas to include him with something he would remotely care about?

Re: Older child ceremony token ideas?

• Options
    Honestly, I view weddings that try and include children in this way as creepy. The wedding is about teh couple. The child did not get a say and is not part of it in this sort of way. Maye them maiden of honor and best man but do not say vows. If they are your biological children this changes nothing you loved them before and will love them after if they are not then save this for when you adopt the other ones children. Not cute not meaningful creepy and missing the point of the day.  
  • Options
    The token/gift could be given to them in private before the ceremony, I don't think it is necessary during the ceremony.As far as what you could do during the ceremony, I think a unity candle could be used to symbolize the joining of the two families.
  • Options
    Judgement aside, a pocket watch maybe, or a nice compass in a box? Did you see the last Wedding Day show on TNT it was based in Detroit and the groom had a daughter, they did a nice part where before the vows (I think) they had the little girl come over, the priest/pastor/minister said a nice blessing for the family, and then the girl went back and the couple did the vows
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I apologize if I have creeped any of you out. The children actually did get a say in the marriage and are very excited about it. I wouldn't ask a child to make a vow in a million years (except to eat their veggies, do well in school, don't hit your brother, etc.); the sentiment is that we are a family now, they are included in that, and it's not just about John and I. We always have and always will ask for their input in what we decide to do with our lives, and I think committing to that in front of our friends and family offers nothing harmful, only something beneficial, to them. I appreciate and respect your not choosing it for yourself, and I hope you'll do the same for my choice of the opposite. My question was for some ideas of the token itself. I know my son would love to see a PlayStation3, but that seems a little silly. Maybe we will scrap the whole idea - seems like more stress now than I need.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards