New York-Western
Options

ugh! vent, and suggestions needed, please!

My FIL's are paying for our DJ, which is exceptionally nice of them, however---they decided to pick the DJ themselves, and it's been nothing but trouble. They went with Carousal Music, and right off the bat I was uncomfortable, because the owner refused to send me a book of available music or services because "it was too expensive to print out, and we needed to book first, then he would send us info" (obviously a huge red flag, but future MIL insisted that everything would be fine, and I was uncomfortable arguing with her). So, they booked. Now, a little over a month before my wedding, he sends me his 'expensive' book, which is four pages long, printed on regular computer paper, and is a list of about 200 songs to choose from! I'm not even kidding, there is a yes/no column, and we are supposed to check which songs we want played. Almost all of the music is from the 80's or older. and by older, I'm talking into the 1930's. Absolutely nothing from the 21st Century, and about 15 songs from the 90's. Clearly this is my fault for not asserting myself, and now we need to repay FIL's the deposit, and look for a relatively inexpensive DJ for the Buffalo area FAST. His mother doesn't really support it, so we're on our own, and as it is, we're out a $100 dollar deposit. Any ideas? What Music vendor are you using?

Re: ugh! vent, and suggestions needed, please!

• Options
    ZoolooZooloo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry things aren't working out as planned. We have a live jazz musician for our cocktail hour, and I found him on MySpace. But I've heard him play live, and he is awesome. That might be a good approach if you are pressed for time - try Craigs List, for example (I've noticed some vendors will post on Craigs List when they have cancellations they need to fill last minute, and you may get a deal). Other than that, we're using Signature Entertainment for our DJ, but I know they book pretty far in advance. You can go to their website and put in your date to check for availabilty. Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Our Planning Bio - A Total Work in Progress...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That's horrible! I know of a DJ service located on Grand Island. I believe it's called Solid Gold. I would check them out to see if they are still available. I don't know how much they charge. I hope that helps!
    Pregnancy Ticker March Siggy Challenge: Lilacs! image
  • Options
    WNYfanWNYfan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm going with Signature Entertainment too (and ZooLoo - our wedding is May 30th - they day after yours!) - I wonder if they might be able to at least give you a recommendation of someone else if they can't do it at the last minute.  They were pretty good and their administrative person is on the ball.  I would trust their recommendation.The other one that's big around Buffalo is CJ Sound.  I think they were both around $650 for around 6 hours.  You could always save money and just have them after dinner or something, with your own CD playing during dinner.  Good luck!  That's horrible, but good that you're trying to find a replacement!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    thanks for the advice! i'll look into all of these places, and see if anyone has a last minute opening..
  • Options
    Irisheyes1247Irisheyes1247 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used Sax Man Slim and thought he was excellent. If you want to see him, he plays at Butterwoods and The Chocolate Bar. He does a package where he plays sax along w pre-recorded music for cocktails and dinner, then switches to a regular DJ after. Check out his website, he has a calendar of engagements on there...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    lhurleylhurley member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we are using whirlin disc - our dj of choice is joe currie... $650 for 6 hours is about right!  good luck!! http://www.wdsdj.com/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards