Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

gift question

If you are hosting a bridal shower are you still expected to give a gift?
figuring it out as i go Wedding Countdown Ticker image 124 Invited so far!
image 105 (including 4 extra plus ones) Are ready to party!
image 9 Will be missing out!
image 14 Are making me slowy go crazy!
RSVP Date October 15th

Re: gift question

• Options
    Since showers are gift giving events, I would say yes. I know that showers can be finacially taxing, and if this is your concern maybe you should rearrange the plans so that you can still afford to give a gift.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_gift-question-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:eb4e8081-afd9-4ba8-82eb-51cfb9775a9fPost:6a288f1e-dd77-44eb-9cde-e69339c01a86">Re: gift question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Since showers are gift giving events, I would say yes. I know that showers can be finacially taxing, and if this is your concern maybe you should rearrange the plans so that you can still afford to give a gift.
    Posted by MeaghanandMichael[/QUOTE]

I agree with this, a lot.
  • Options
    I would if I could afford it, but my sister threw my shower and didn't give us a gift.  I thought the gift of the shower was more than enough.  
  • Options
    I wouldn't expect another gft from the person throwing me a party.
    murrayed
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_gift-question-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:eb4e8081-afd9-4ba8-82eb-51cfb9775a9fPost:fef99162-c702-4c38-9f23-d8d2c39b47e2">Re: gift question</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wouldn't expect another gft from the person throwing me a party.
    Posted by nhelene[/QUOTE]

I mean, I don't think any one should expect a gift. It is more just trying to make things work for OP so she feels most comfortable with the day and event.
  • Options
    I also would not expect a gift from a shower hostess, but if I were the hostess I would buy a gift if I could afford it.
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_gift-question-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:eb4e8081-afd9-4ba8-82eb-51cfb9775a9fPost:abd6e763-3dd8-4a77-ac02-b26243fe0861">Re: gift question</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: gift question : I mean, I don't think any one should expect a gift. It is more just trying to make things work for OP so she feels most comfortable with the day and event.
    Posted by MeaghanandMichael[/QUOTE]

I don't know if OP is a bridesmaid, but if so you could talk to the others and try to go in on a gift together.
    murrayed
  • Options
    I threw a shower for my MOH last year, I didn't get her a gift .... she also didn't get me a hostess gift ... not that I was expecting it, but I put a lot of work into her shower that I ended up doing on my own since the other BM flaked on it.
  • Options
    When I've hosted showers I've always given a little something, but I definitely spend far less than I do when I'm not the one hosting the shower. Showers ain't cheap. :)
  • Options
    I agree w/the PP showers ain't cheap especially this one. :) I will just go ahead and get her measuring spoons and kitchen towels. It's a kitchen themed shower.
    Thanks for the help ladies!
    figuring it out as i go Wedding Countdown Ticker image 124 Invited so far!
    image 105 (including 4 extra plus ones) Are ready to party!
    image 9 Will be missing out!
    image 14 Are making me slowy go crazy!
    RSVP Date October 15th
  • Options

I would think it depends on how expensive the shower is and how many people are throwing it. When I went in with a bunch of BMs to throw a shower for a good friend, it was decided the shower would be at home and my total contribution was something like $40 and dessert -- so I bought her the same kind of present I would have bought if I wasn't one of the hosts.

But when I made my sister a shower, with my aunt, I spent several hundred dollars...and the shower itself was the present.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_gift-question-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:eb4e8081-afd9-4ba8-82eb-51cfb9775a9fPost:fef99162-c702-4c38-9f23-d8d2c39b47e2">Re: gift question</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wouldn't expect another gft from the person throwing me a party.
    Posted by nhelene[/QUOTE]

Me either. Showers are expensive.

My bridesmaids are hosting my shower. They have done so much.
  • Options
    Agreed. If you're not in the financial position to throw a shower AND give a gift, then don't worry about the gift...the bride will understand! If you feel really uncomfortable, either buy her something from her registry that is inexpensive and you know she really wants. Or make something, if you're creative and skilled enough to make something. Otherwise don't worry too much about it. It's not rude, and you've already done so much by hosting a beautiful event in her honor.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_gift-question-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:eb4e8081-afd9-4ba8-82eb-51cfb9775a9fPost:54a818b1-8761-415f-8f60-9e293c98d3e6">Re: gift question</a>:
    [QUOTE]When I've hosted showers I've always given a little something, but I definitely spend far less than I do when I'm not the one hosting the shower. Showers ain't cheap. :)
    Posted by tracy_k[/QUOTE]

This. When I was the MOH in my friend's wedding, I could barely afford the dress, shoes, hair, shower, etc. so another bridesmaid and I gave her a wedding scrap book. She really loves to scrap book and do creative things, so this was our way of giving her a little something extra in addition to the shower but not breaking the bank over it.
  • Options
    My MOH and BM (the hosts of the shower) didn't get me anything.  My family thought it was kind of weird.  I didn't think anything of it since they hosted the shower.  I would get a little something if you could swing it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards