Florida-North Florida
Options

St. Augustine wedding Dec 2011

Hey!  We just got engaged this past week and really want a St. Augustine Christmastime wedding.  Please help me out with any suggestions/tips/info you have at all.  We're catholic and are hoping for the Basilica.  We've looked at Casa Monica and are wondering about the San Sabastian winery or other good reception sites.  What ideas/experience do you have to share??  Please help!!

Re: St. Augustine wedding Dec 2011

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We got married in St. Augustine in January '09 (so not long after Christmas).  The Festival of Lights was still going on so it was beautiful.  There are lots of pictures in my married bio (link in siggy) as well as vendor reviews.  We had both our ceremony and reception at the Government House which I can't recommend enough, but it's better for small weddings.
    BFP #1 Sept. 2011 EDD 5.25.12 missed MC on 11.17.11 | BFP #2 4.30.12 11dpo EDD 1.10.13 | Grow, baby, grow!
    01.03.09 {MARRIED BIO}
    imageimageimagePregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Congrats! I just started planning my October wedding in St Aug. As Kappa said, the Government house is gorgeous, but definitely for a smaller wedding, we looked there and loved it, but for 125, it isn't going to work.

The San Sebatian Winery has stopped doing weddings for a while, since they have been remodeling their event space (I was told that from other reception sites in St Aug) and I don't know if/when they will start up again.

I just booked my reception at the White Room http://www.ocwhiteroom.com/. It's so gorgeous, and the staff has been very helpful. They have 2 different spaces to choose from too.

Casa Monica is really nice too, but wasn't for us. There is also the River House (gorgeous and booking up fast), and the Hilton Historic Inn on the Bayfront. That's everything that we looked at, hope it helps!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    KappaUCF: Thank you so much for the info!  Your wedding was beautiful!  I really like the Goverment House, but I think it would be a little small for us, we'll have around 125, I think.  I'm definitely going to use your vendor list/reviews though.  Thanks again!

MrsRoo:  Thank you, too.  I never even thought of the Hilton.  I've heard great things about the White Room, but was concerned about the parking availability.  Have you made a plan for that?  If so, that seems like really a great venue. 

Keep the advice coming please! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The Hilton Bayfront is a great Venue...very boutique hotel/b&b like.  Definitely not your average hilton!  We are holding our rehearsal dinner there.  The space is a decent size, but I am not sure it would fit your 125.  It's definitely worth calling and asking.  The personnel are great there and it is a beautiful place!  

I also would recommend the River House.  That is where we are having our reception! :)  It would easily hold 125.  It does book up fast though.  We booked it over a year in advance but did get our first choice of a date.  

I have also heard the Lightner museum is a good option!  I think their prices are pretty reasonable and they have a good size space.  Good luck with your search! :)  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The White Room includes a trolley with an hour of time which the staff suggested that most people use for parking, with one pick up before ceremony and one drop off after reception. With 125 the Hilton will be too small, they told me 100 max if you want a dance floor. The Lightner has a great courtyard for the ceremony that can accommodate 125 only if you hold your ceremony after 6 pm. If you want the reception there, it's $10,000. ( I almost fell out over that) plus the directorof the museum told me that their average size event was over 300, and that 125 would feel small in the space. As for the River House, they had nothing available for us when we looked, so they were never a real option for us even though we really liked it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Dara Jeanne:  Thanks for the info!  I'm booking an appt to see the River House, it looks gorgeous and they actually have our date available!  Still waiting to hear back from the Hilton.

Mrs Roo: A trolley would be great!  I love that option.  I had no idea that the Lightner was so expensive, that seems like a lot for that location.  $10,000 is what Casa Monica quoted me and it seems like a better venue to me.  Who knows.

I cannot thank you both enough for the inspiration!  I'm feeling like I just might be able to put this wedding together afterall!!  Happy planning and please feel free to share any other wedding wisdom :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations!!  We are having our reception at the River House in St. Augustine.  They are a brand new facility on the river.  I really like that they only have one wedding a day and can fit up to 240 guests.  The space is absolutely beautiful and Constance has been a big help.  Being that the space is brand new and nicely decorated we really don't have to spend alot of money on decorations and it has a nice panoramic view of the water from the circle dance floor that has a dome.  Hope this helps!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Thanks Jennifer!  We're going to look at reception sites tomorrow and River House is on the list.  Do they have parking??  That's my main concern with St. Augustine, I don't want my out of town guests driving around the square for hours or looking for Hypolita St. to be able to park!  I love the town though!! 

• Options
    edited December 2011

I think I mentioned above...we are getting married there in June and they definitely have plenty of parking! One of the things we are so excited about!!!  Both the church we are getting married at and the River House have more than enough parking which is a nice luxury to have in St. Augustine!!  Have you had your tour yet?  How did it go?

Jennifer Collin...When are you having your wedding there? Are you doing ceremony and reception or just reception!

Happy to New Year to everyone!!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I called the San Sebastian Winery last week and they told me over the phone that they no longer hold weddings/receptions there.
  • Options
    jezziebeansjezziebeans member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do you have a planner yet? I not, I would suggest:

www.elegantweddingsbylisa.com/">http://www.elegantweddingsbylisa.com/ 
    She has tons of experience and knows all the venues well.

SERIOUSLY! I am not making any money off of trying to promote her! It has just been a relaxing and wonderful experience for a mom. I want to share her bcause she has madewedding planning stress-free. Lisa has been planning my daughter's May 2011 wedding, and we REALLY searched around Fernandina, Brunswick, Jacksonville, etc... to find someone to handle an indecisive and picky bride (my daughter). I was sick of calling and leaving messages and no one calling me back---especially in Fernandina. She is so wonderful in every single way...easy going nature and she knows every aspect of planning. Even the vendors have nothing but great things to say about her.

You won't be sorry if you can get her to plan your wedding.

Sincerely,

J, Samuel

South Georgia/Jacksonville/Fernandina Beach/St. Augustine/....

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards