Chinese Weddings

wedding day makeup

I am trying to figure out how to do my make up for the day.  I've heard that the makeup needs to be on kind of heavy for the photographs.  But I'm not sure.  I had a trial run and it was on kind of heavy.  I wasn't really a fan but I want to look nice for my pictures too.  What do you all think?  Was your make up heavier than usual on your wedding day?  Thanks for any input.

Re: wedding day makeup

• ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You do tend to need heavier makeup for photos. Did you actually get photos in various lighting after your trial? That's the best way to judge whether it was enough or too much for you.I'm doing my makeup heavier than my day-to-day routine (I don't exactly go to work with smoky eyes) but about the same as a night out, say if I go to someone else's wedding. I've also been drinking lots of water and generally trying to take really good care of my skin so that I don't have to wear too much.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • edited December 2011
    I don't usually wear make up on a day-to-day basis, but in photos I think it's a must. We had our engagement pictures taken outdoors and I tried to tell the woman coming to do my make up that I really don't wear heavy make up and wanted it to be as natural looking as possible. She said to trust her, and that if it seemed like a lot at home, it wouldn't appear so in front of the camera. She'd been doing makeup for stuff like that for YEARS, so I just went with it. Honestly, it was the best decision. I looked natural (even with false lashes!) and I loved how they turned out. I would go a little heavier than usual, and I've read on other threads to be sure to have someone remind you to touch-up and reapply lip stuff throughout the night so that you don't appear shiny or sweaty during in your pictures. It was emphasized a lot from other brides, so I'll take their word for it too! HTH! :)
  • edited December 2011
    I didn't go too much heavier than normal. When I go out, I focus on the eyes and I did the same for the wedding. I just added foundation so that my skin looked flawless in the pictures. It shouldn't weigh yoy down!
  • edited December 2011
    can you do a makeup trial for your engagement pictures and see how it turns out?
  • tohruchantohruchan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i never wear makeup (maybe 1-2x a year?) so i can relate to you...on my wedding day, my friend applied the makeup a bit heavier than i was used to (because of course, i'm used to no makeup).  i was hesitant at first, but she reassured me that it would look good in pics.i'm really glad she did because our pics turned out great- it didn't look "caked" on or anything- it looked really fresh and natural which was the look i was aiming for.i would also recommend that you have your makeup reapplied throughout the day if your wedding day is a long one. i started wearing makeup around 7 am (because my first ceremony was at 9 am) and our reception lasted till midnight.  By the end of the night i look exhausted and so tired, and my makeup was fading and it totally showed in the pics too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards