Registry and Gift Forum

Is it tacky to register for a honeymoon?

I got an email that suggested registering for your honeymoon and was wondering how people felt about it...We would obviously register at traditional places as well, but we have both lived on our own for a couple of years, so we have a lot of the essentials that are typically registered for.  Actually, we have about 2 sets of everything!!  :)It would be nice to be able to have a really nice honeymoon though.  We are paying for a large portion of the wedding and don't have a lot left over for the honeymoon.  What do you think?

Re: Is it tacky to register for a honeymoon?

• mkkingmkking member
    First Comment
    I've heard of a lot of people doing this. I think it is a great idea if you register at other places. I think it looks really bad if you only register for the honeymoon. Most people understand that you own most things and they will probably give you cash if you do not register for the honeymoon.
  • People have mixed feelings about these.  I find them terribly tacky for a lot of reasons, mostly because it is a thinly veiled request for $.  Simply spreading the word that you are saving for a honeymoon will get lots of people to write you a check, and you don't have to pay anyone a %. If you are really considering it, first talk to your mom, FMIL, etc and get an idea of how it would go over in your group.  If you have a more traditional group of people, you risk coming off as really gift-grabby.  And remember, people will never tell you directly if they think something you are doing is tacky (at least not if they have any class).  As them before you make the decision.  If they think it would be well received, book a trip you can afford on your own, and register for the extras: spa treatments, dinner on the beach, etc.  You can never predict what people will give you, so you don't want to get screwed if no one buys your flight or they don't give enough money.
  • please do not register for things you dont want at BBB and return them for cash.....bc no matter what you may think of hm registries that idea is tacky. (sorry pp)
  • Also you can register at Bed Bath and Beyond and they give you cash back. I heard their return policy for the wedding registry is awesome.It won't be for long if people keep trying to scam them like this.  Why can't people ever just appreciate a good thing without taking advantage of it?
  • I had not planned on registering at all. We have lived together for several years and have a child. I got alot of flack from the powers that be(parents). We are planning to stay at a Marriott resort, You can set up a registry with Marriott for extras during your stay. I rather like the idea. Tacky however is trying to fund the whole trip from your guests!
  • Ours has been well received so far.  Like PP, we have things like, breakfast in bed, a sushi dinner, and excursions.  I wrote a nice intro about how we're not kids anymore (he's 34, I'm 40), we have two households, etc.  I also did a small regular registry for household items so people have another option. If people think it's tacky, they don't have to use it.
  • sigh...yeah, we are only doing a honeymoon registry. there's probably going to be someone that thinks something you do is tacky anyway. we've actually given up a lot of stuff bc people said it was tacky. however, we have lived together for 4 years and there's nothing anyone can buy us that we dont already have. i dont want or need a gravy boat, thank you. we are putting so much into this wedding, that we simply cannot afford a honeymoon. if someone thinks its tacky, that's their problem, not mine.
  • kempjokempjo member
    First Comment
    I think that the wedding and the honeymoon is about you. its about you and the love of your life having an amazing experience together. This is not the 1950s, everything doesn't have to be traditional-don't register for things you don't need or want-register for your honeymoon!! I'm sure you'll still have an old timer or two that buys you a blender cause they still can't figure out the internet, lol, and thats ok too. Its sweet.In my honest oppion going into debt is NO way to start a marriage considering the number of ugly "D- words" that come from financial problems leading to fights. If you have the ability to ease that financial stress-why not do it?!?!I wish all the luck, prayers and happiness in the world!:)
  • im doing one. and while ours is an all inclusive we still want to do a few excursions, but i will still do hotel nights as well. As someone before me said its someone elses problem if they think its tacky, and if they do then dont buy me anything. Also someone said if they could afford an excursion they would buy it for themselves, which is rude to me, but the fact is its someone elses wedding and your going to buy them something anyway so why not get them something theyll actually use/want/enjoy than another gravy boat that will collect dust?
  • Wedding guests expect to give wonderful, long-lasting gifts that mirror their hope for your marriage to be wonderful and long-lasting. Like china, bedding, and other nest-building stuff. When you see these gifts in your home, you will be reminded of the giver, and you will be reminded that you have a whole connected web of marriage mentors to whom you can turn for advice, counsel, new ideas or help when things go from better to worse. A short-term donation to your honeymoon sexfest does not match what wedding gifts are supposed to represent.
  • My FI and I have lived together for 2 years, so we're doing both a honeymoon registry and a more traditional registry to upgrade the things we have.  I've talked to both my mom and my grandmother about this, and they think a honeymoon registry is a great idea.  My sister got married a couple years ago after living with her FI for 2 years, and they still have stuff sitting in boxes that they registered for just for the sake of registering.If you like it, and your family likes it and is interested in contributing to an awesome trip, you should go for it.
  • We registered our honeymoon (Key West & Orlando), along with 2 other places (JCPenney & Target). We've been living together for 2 years now so we've got the basic stuff... we def. wouldn't mind upgrades from our cheap wal-mart kitchen items but for the most part, household stuff isn't something we NEED, which is why we decided to go the HR route. We've actually have received a few gifts from the honeymoon registry already because we're having a jack & jill shower tomorrow. So far we've gotten some donatations towards a swim with dolphins, drinks, & good seafood. We also have things like a massage for our first night, parasailing, bike rentals, tickets to universal studios Halloween Horror Nights, etc. All my friends that i've spoken to that were invited to the shower/party have never heard of a honeymoon registery. They loved the idea & were excited about it. 2 of my good friends from HS were married last year and both of them said they wish they would have known or thought about it when they got married. So to sum that up, my thoughts are: GO FOR IT! some people will be thrilled about it, while others may not (as you can see from pp) It all just depends on the person.
  • I plan on doing a HM registry and a small traditional one. FI & I bought our house over a year ago and our wedding isn't for almost 2 years. Since we both lived ta home before we already had to buy all from stratch and I did not buy cheap stuff with the intention of replacing. We already have good pans, good knifes, kitchen aid mixer, and all top of the line small appliances. I don't need sheets, towels or any of that, and honetsly our townhouse is already full! So we are planning on doing a HM registry for lal the additional type stuff that you can get at the place we plan to HM on like the caddies for golf, butler service, candle lit dinner etc.If people wanted to know what I really need it would be windows, and a granite counter - neither of which I think I can register for.Personally - I rather be able to write in the thank you card how much I enjoyed the additional honeymoon item they got me , instead of writing "The blender will sure be useful".
  • Wedding guests expect to give wonderful, long-lasting gifts that mirror their hope for your marriage to be wonderful and long-lasting. Like china, bedding, and other nest-building stuff. When you see these gifts in your home, you will be reminded of the giver,Oh for heaven's sake, this is 2009, not 1959.  Yeah, I'm sure that Crate & Barrell gift card my aunt and uncle wanted to give me will really conjur up wonderful memories.  I built my own nest a long time ago and so did my FI.  I can buy my own towels and glasses, thank you very much.  And that comment about the sexfest isn't worth a response.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_tacky-register-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:10332610Post:47530d74-b1b0-4148-81b8-81071056733d">Re: Is it tacky to register for a honeymoon?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Are you joking? "A greedy couple who feels that they're entitled to my money just because they're getting married"? Oh yes, engaged couples are really just plotting to steal your money right out from under you by getting married and sharing the most important day of their lives with you, those bastards. You're one to talk about proper etiquette. It's proper etiquette to give a gift at a wedding and if someone doesn't need any more things a little cash to get their lives started together is much more appropriate. And since anything you would give them is a GIFT, they can do whatever they see fit with it whether it be to hock it on ebay, keep it forever or spend it on a trip. If you actually feel this way about a couple who has been so kind to invite you to their wedding, you obviously don't care for them and should stay home and spare them your bitterness. Also, memories of that sexfest will last me a lifetime and a toaster will probably be broken in a few years.
    Posted by Negazilla[/QUOTE]

Are YOU joking????  You dug up a thread that is nearly 2 YEARS DEAD to say this??
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Are you joking? "A greedy couple who feels that they're entitled to my money just because they're getting married"? Oh yes, engaged couples are really just plotting to steal your money right out from under you by getting married and sharing the most important day of their lives with you, those bastards. You're one to talk about proper etiquette. It's proper etiquette to give a gift at a wedding and if someone doesn't need any more things a little cash to get their lives started together is much more appropriate. And since anything you would give them is a GIFT, they can do whatever they see fit with it whether it be to hock it on ebay, keep it forever or spend it on a trip. If you actually feel this way about a couple who has been so kind to invite you to their wedding, you obviously don't care for them and should stay home and spare them your bitterness. Also, memories of that sexfest will last me a lifetime and a toaster will probably be broken in a few years.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards