Wedding Party
Options

Bridesmaid backing out!

I'm in total shock! My cousin who is also my very best friend in the whole world told me Wed. evening that she really can't afford to be in my wedding. After she told me I was like, "I understand, so maybe you could do a reading". But I think that was just b/c I was in shock. Later that night I called her after I had really thought about it trying to figure out what was really going on. She told me how much she loves me and how important I am to her and how important our friendship is to her but she just can't afford it. I offered to pay for her dress/shoes and she told me that I have enough to pay for and turned me down. She also mentioned that my sister is planning this extravagent bachelorette party and my other girls are 100% on board and it's just too much for her. So with that I told her that if the only reason why she didn't want to be in the wedding was because of the bachelorette party then she could skip the bachelorette party, that my actual wedding day was what is most important to me. She still refused. I told her to just think about it we still have 9 months. She told me her mind was made up, that she can't be the girl who only gives 50%. If she can't give 100% then she can't give anything. Just last month we went to buy my dress and she was all into being my bridesmaid.....if I didn't have a sister, I would've asked her to be my maid of honor. I can't figure out what happened. I'm not even mad. I'm just so hurt. I've been crying on/off since she told me 2 nights ago!! I need opinions/advice anything. Please.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Bridesmaid backing out!

• Options
    Sorry, that sucks :( Sounds like you did everything you could do.Maybe give it some more time and ask her again.
  • Options
    I agree with waiting a bit and offereing to pay for her dress again.  And of course, leave the door open for her to do a reading.On a side note, my friend was in a wedding recently where the MOH decided to do an extravagent b-party.  All of the BMs were expected to throw in a lot of money, like $500.  The bride wasn't really aware of what was going on, but the MOH told my friend that if she couldn't pay, she couldn't afford to be a BM.  My friend found the cash that she couldn't really afford, because she didn't want to disappoint her friend, the bride.  Do you think there's a little of this going on?  If there is, I would talk to the MOH and make sure she isn't demanding money that your cousin doesn't have.
  • Options
    Yea, I was in a similar situation & I wasn't even in the wedding party! The MOH asked me 6 months prior if I wanted to be involved in the bachelorette party and gave me an approximate cost. I agreed at the time (since I was still living at home & didn't have many expenses). I heard from her 1 time since then & she gave me the same costs. Well between then & the bach party I moved out of my house & into an apt. (so lots of new expenses) AND the cost of the party trippled in price. She told me 2 days before the party about the new cost & when I told her I couldn't afford it she started yelling at me. It was awful!! I didn't tell the bride b/c I didn't want her to worry, so I went, paid the MOH what I could, then left early. Make sure something similar isn't happening to your friend -- I got a lot of "Well you should want to make her day special, so pay up"
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Another part of it too is that she's in her friends wedding just 1 month before mine and when I asked if she was still going to be in that one she told me yes b/c when she was originally asked to be in the wedding party the bride asked her and also told her that she knew money was tight so she wouldn't have to worry about paying for dress/shoes/hair/makeup.  And that the mother of the bride was paying for the shower....ummm ok I offered to pay for her dress/shoes and stuff.....she tells me that I'm her best friend and that she loves me very much....why don't I get it?As far as the bachelorette party, I know my sister has been communicating regularly with all the girls and they've been going over a bunch of options to make it affordable.  I also know that even though they are staying hush hush about it, it's a bunch of different things that are going on and my cousin doesn't have to participate in everything.....I know this b/c my sister and the others have told me.  My cousin is apparently the only one who is having an issue with this and instead of just doing dinner with us for the bachelorette, she feels she needs to back out all together.Maybe there is something she's not telling me?
  • Options
    Yeah I would ask again if anything else is going on with her personally of with your WP...explain to her that you don't mind if she vents about other people to you and you will keep it between the 2 of you. I know I didn't want to tell the bride what was going on behind the scenes! The MOH & BP will most likely tell you everything is going great, but sometimes that isn't always true. I would def. ask her about it again!!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    The only difference I see between the other wedding she's in and yours is that the other one has *no* additional expenses in terms of shower & bach party. For yours, I appreciate that everyone's trying to make it affordable, but that might still be too much for her. I wouldn't take it to heart. It sucks, but it doesn't mean she doesn't still love you and want to be there for you as a guest.
  • Options
    Thats to bad that this is happened and that your feeling very hurt. You did a great thing by offereing to pay for her dress/shoes. I know that this isn't easy, you should probably give it a little time to let her figure out if she can make this work after all.
  • Options
    I completely understand why you are so upset. If it was me, I would be crying too :-) Although I can understand the money situation, I don't know how to make that not personal. Whether she means to hurt you or not, it hurts - a lot.I would wait about a month and maybe write her a heartfelt letter about how important her friendship is to you and how much you want her to be standing up with you on your special day. Let her know that you'll take care of the dress/shoe expenses and no one needs to know, you just want to have her presence with you during this special time in your life. See how she responds. Good luck!
  • Options
    Wow, I feel like I could have just written this post myself.  I know exactly how you feel.  My MOH, my best friend since 4th grade and all through college, just told me 2 days ago that she can't come to or be in my wedding because its "too hard" to leave her internship.  I'm still in the weepy/hurt/angry stage.  I had the same initial reaction as you- the "its ok, i'm sad but i understand" and now that's given way to the real raw emotion.  My mom keeps telling me to wait a few days to cool off before talking with her about it.  I can only pass along the same advice to you!  I can also suggest (as some friends of mine have suggested) to carefully craft what you want to say in a letter (and then its probably best to read it to her so you guys can discuss afterwards) and avoid any attacks so she doesn't get defensive.  Just explain that you're hurt that she decided to not be a part of your big day and that you would like to talk about any ways to make her participation possible.  Another friend suggested to me that I tell my friend that if the req of being a MOH/BM were too much, that I would still love it if she just came as a guest- anything to just be there.  I will pass along the same suggestion to you.  Best of luck.  I'll be dealing with the same major disappointment and frustration- so I know how you feel! 
  • Options
    lhalford, it sucks that your friend can't come, but sometimes it just really is too much. I had to miss the weddings of TWO very good friends the summer I was studying for the bar exam. I hated not being there, but I was in Brooklyn and they were both getting married in Massachusetts, 2 weeks apart. I was too terrified to take the time off and go. We're still incredibly close friends, and they understood. And it still kills me that I missed their weddings, 14 years ago.
  • Options
    It sounds like there's something else going on that she's not telling you about. Since this is your cousin and bf could your mom and her mom and other family members pitch in for her bridal party expenses ? At least that way you wouldn't be paying for it all, it would be a family effort. If she's letting her other friend's mom pay for her expenses for that wedding what's the difference ? I would feel more comfortable with getting money from my family then a friend's family - something to think about...Also, don't let her sadden you, its her lost if she doesn't want to be upfront about the real reason she doesn't want to be apart in your big day. You have to remember its an honor to be in someone's wedding. I have a friend that I asked to be in the wedding and she told me that she doesn't like being in the spotlight (she's not shy) and that she would rather be behind the scenes - so she'll be a hostess, that made me question our friendship b/c I know if one of her other friends were getting married she would be in the wedding party no matter what. I guess my point is sometimes your friendship with others isn't always how/what you think it is. Good Luck :)
  • Options
    If teh bachlorette was turning into so expensive one of my BM could not afford it I would be declining a bachlorette so fast . I would be massively pushing for a simple dinner party in with my gals. If I were your I would massively reign in MOH on party budgets and see if that helps
  • Options
    ffmaid- All of my girls are working together, I know this.  Everyone seems to think that whatever is being planned is not out of budget--exept my cousin--who also has the option to not participate in EVERYTHING, just what she feels she can afford.  All of my girls plus some people who are not in my party have told me this.  They are keeping it a surprise so I really don't know details.
  • Options
    Well that is your choice. I just woudl not want a bachlorette so expensive that it was causeing one of my best friends to drop out dur to feeling guiolty over the cost. That woudl ruin all of my fun in the event knowing that teh cost of this party was causing humilation to a friend and her to feel that she was not rich enough to be my bm. But you are more then welcome to do what you wish and it is not bridezilla to accept the expensive party just well shows your priorities.
  • Options
    My priorities??  I could care less about the bachelorette party, I want her in the wedding.  She is one of my best friends, but so are 2 other girls in my party.  I offered to give her money, pay for her dress/shoes and she refused.  I am doing everything I can to try and accomodate her. All my girls know me very well and know that something low key is what I would want.  And if I had to guess I'd say that it's probably something along the lines of a spa day and dinner (just based on the bits and pieces I am getting)  I also know that it's going to be at my house so there is no hotel involved. How can I tell 4 other girls to not plan something that they think I'll love just because of 1.  Yes, she is my cousin and best friend and I love her dearly, but when she refuses any and all help from me, what am I supposed to do?  One of my girls is traveling from 3 1/2 hours away for all of my wedding parties and dress shopping and I'm supposed to tell her that my local girl can't afford anything.  I don't feel comfortable doing that to her or any of the girls.Quite honestly I don't want to be involved with planning a bachelorette party and the only reason I found any of this out is because my cousin backed out and I had to peel the layers to find out why.  My girls know me and what I want and what's important to me.  I have enough to worry about.  And I don't think it's just the bachelorette party...it's the whole thing.  Dress/shoes/shower. I even told her I'd give her money and her gift to me would be her being in the wedding.  Still got a firm, "no"  I keep bending over backwards to keep her happy without letting the other girls know and she's still telling me no.
  • Options
    ffmaid, I have to agree with SM.  I don't know that the OP's priorities are out of whack.  Sometimes you can only do so much - and the OP is doing the very things advised on these boards.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards