Catholic Weddings

Does anyone else wish we'd get a board name change? :-)

Perhaps, "Christian Catholic Weddings"?

Just me, then?  ;-)

(It's a topic I get all sensitive about, that's all.)

Re: Does anyone else wish we'd get a board name change? :-)

• Haha, a similar thought crossed my mind the other day.  "Christian" Weddings?  Don't you mean "Protestant" Weddings?

Fun story: The DFW Knotties and Nesties do an ornament exchange every Christmas, and this year I asked for Christian-themed ornaments.  So the girl who got me later told me she had a really hard time finding ornaments because, "I know you're Catholic, but you said you wanted Christian, so I was confused."
    Anniversary

• i dont think so.

the whole reason this board was developed is because Catholic is very different (IMO) than protestant/christian.  yes, catholics are christians, but they are not interchangeable nor can you sub one for the other. 
  • [QUOTE] So the girl who got me later told me she had a really hard time finding ornaments because, "I know you're Catholic, but you said you wanted Christian, so I was confused."
    Posted by professorscience[/QUOTE]<div>Arrrrrggghhhh..... ! (headbang...)

</div>
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_does-anyone-else-wish-wed-get-a-board-name-change?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:2a539ca2-f6c4-40c2-ab52-9e1e8e28ca17Post:914a3cf3-9dd4-43a8-b3ff-47b7bc8c8e16">Re: Does anyone else wish we'd get a board name change? :-)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Haha, a similar thought crossed my mind the other day.  "Christian" Weddings?  Don't you mean <strong>"Protestant" Weddings? </strong>Posted by professorscience[/QUOTE]

<div>I don't know that it's exclusively protestant weddings, I sometimes hang out there because quite honestly, our board can get a little dead sometimes :-P</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @calypso, I totally get why there's a distinction, and I'm glad there is a specific place for people to go to get advice from other Catholic brides.  It just certainly doesn't help misconceptions like the one I mentioned above.
    Anniversary

• I'm glad there is a separate Catholic board because even though Catholics are Christian (and a lot of people don't seem to get that), there ARE a lot of differences between a Catholic wedding and a Protestant/Christian wedding.

I do, however, dislike that it is considered a "cultural" board.  My Catholic faith is a lot more than something "cultural" to me...

Anyway, funny Catholic/Christian wedding related story.  I was at a coworkers wedding who attends a mega church in our area.  She is on fire for God which I think is awesome.  I did't know anyone other than her and her husband and was seated with several of her friends that she had gone on a mission trip with.  We were talking about Christian music., the mission trip I was going on later that year, etc.  About two hours into being there, one of the guests said to me "what church do you go to, I've never seen you at the Chapel"  I mentioned the name of my Catholic church.   There was an audible gasp and one of the others at the table said "WAIT, you are CATHOLIC and you know and love Jesus?!?!"

It wasn't the right time for an apologetics lesson, but it led to an interesting conversation that (unfortunately) is often the case of most "Catholics" that these individuals had encountered.
  • Jen, that's awesome!  It's amazing what misconceptions exist out there.  I had a protestant tell me once that she never knew a kind Catholic, and was impressed with me.  How sad is that?

• Wow, Jen, I actually laughed out loud.
    Anniversary

• While humorous, these stories make me sad.  I, too, have encountered many people who don't realize that Catholics are Christians.  We married at my university Newman Center chapel, and back when I was a student there, it was common to bring non-Catholic and even non-Christian friends along to functions and Mass.  I heard more than once, "Why do y'all have a big cross if you don't believe in Jesus?"

That group of students was the most welcoming church community I've ever met, and we had a lot of non-Catholic students become involved for that reason, including a large population of Muslim international students coming to free lunch every Tuesday after prayer at the mosque next door.  I've become a big supporter of ecunemical activities and partnerships, as they've helped me learn to embrace people where they are rather than judge them for not being who or where I think they should be, and I pray that interacting wth my Catholic friends and me has expanded the perspective of others who had misconceptions about the Church.
    "Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are Mine!" (Isaiah 43:1)
  • My only problem is that we're under "cultural weddings."

I gues I'm spoiled. Growing up in Boston and always going to Catholic school, I was never really exposed to the Catholic vs Christian issue
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_does-anyone-else-wish-wed-get-a-board-name-change?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:2a539ca2-f6c4-40c2-ab52-9e1e8e28ca17Post:6101cf35-87d5-4623-a2ad-4292adaf7241">Re: Does anyone else wish we'd get a board name change? :-)</a>:
    [QUOTE]My only problem is that we're under "cultural weddings." I gues I'm spoiled. Growing up in Boston and always going to Catholic school, I was never really exposed to the Catholic vs Christian issue
    Posted by BCV513[/QUOTE]

It's funny you say that.  I lived in the Boston area (Billerica, Woburn) until high school and I remember my grandmother telling a story about someone and she said "...you know, that guy, that Protestant..." because at that time, Protestants were not as common.  Everyone was Irish, Italian or both.
    PitaPata Cat tickers Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_does-anyone-else-wish-wed-get-a-board-name-change?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:2a539ca2-f6c4-40c2-ab52-9e1e8e28ca17Post:914a3cf3-9dd4-43a8-b3ff-47b7bc8c8e16">Re: Does anyone else wish we'd get a board name change? :-)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Haha, a similar thought crossed my mind the other day.  "Christian" Weddings?  Don't you mean "Protestant" Weddings? Fun story: <strong>The DFW Knotties and Nesties do an ornament exchange every Christmas</strong>, and this year I asked for Christian-themed ornaments.  So the girl who got me later told me she had a really hard time finding ornaments because, "I know you're Catholic, but you said you wanted Christian, so I was confused."
    Posted by professorscience[/QUOTE]

I love this idea!
    PitaPata Cat tickers Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_does-anyone-else-wish-wed-get-a-board-name-change?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:2a539ca2-f6c4-40c2-ab52-9e1e8e28ca17Post:3bbdbb2e-366f-419f-8ff1-079d0bd36d4e">Re: Does anyone else wish we'd get a board name change? :-)</a>:
    [QUOTE]While humorous, these stories make me sad.  I, too, have encountered many people who don't realize that Catholics are Christians.  We married at my university Newman Center chapel, and back when I was a student there, it was common to bring non-Catholic and even non-Christian friends along to functions and Mass.  I heard more than once, "Why do y'all have a big cross if you don't believe in Jesus?" That group of students was the most welcoming church community I've ever met, and we had a lot of non-Catholic students become involved for that reason, including a large population of Muslim international students coming to free lunch every Tuesday after prayer at the mosque next door.  I've become a big supporter of ecunemical activities and partnerships, as they've helped me learn to embrace people where they are rather than judge them for not being who or where I think they should be, and I pray that interacting wth my Catholic friends and me has expanded the perspective of others who had misconceptions about the Church.
    Posted by Nickie431[/QUOTE]

I guess you went to TU then...way too big a coincidence if you didn't. 

I've also encountered the "wait, Catholics are Christians?!?!" situation.  It's quite sad when otherwise educated people who practice Protestant Christianity know nothing about Catholics.
  • I also come from a town where there are mostly catholics.  So when I went to college in a different town I decided I would go to a bible study.  Well the first day we went around and said our denomination and when I said Catholic one of the girls said "Is that even Christian?"  It was really sad to me.

Also, I went to my protestant friends church and in there "service" (I don't know the actual name) they were talking about how misled catholics were and how they needed to save us :(  It was so sad, and actually made me pretty mad. But I get worked up pretty quick when it comes to my faith...
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Wow! I'm glad I live where I do. Everyone is Catholic or Lutheran, there are a lot of mixed families, and a lot of joking about how Lutherans are "Catholic-light." There is definitely no question about whether Catholics are Christian or not. Although everyone once in awhile, one of FI's churches (like I said, lots of mixed families) gets videos from uber-Protestant groups that definitely don't see Catholics as Christians, even if they don't come out and say it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards