Registry and Gift Forum
Options

How Many Places Should We Register At?

My fiance and I have registered at 1 place so far, but I was just talking to a guy I work with (hes getting married in october) and he and his fiance registered at 3 places! How many places should we register at? What do you consider overkill?
Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPicMarch Siggy Challenge

Re: How Many Places Should We Register At?

• Options
    If you can get everything you need from one place and guest will be able to aford to buy there, then one registery is OK.People sometime prefer chine from one store (like Masy's) and the rest from the other store (like BB&B).I regestered at BB&B for Bed and Bath and at William Sonoma for Kitchen and considering online registery for honeymoon, though not sure about it yet
  • Options
    There is nothing wrong with 3. I am registered at 4 places. 2 are large (Macys & Bloomingdales) and two are specialty type places. Most people I know are registered at 2-4 places. Only one couple in my circle registered at only one place. However, the eloped and only registered after because people kept asking them what the wanted/needed.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    "Politeness, n. The most acceptable hypocrisy." -Ambrose Bierce
  • Options
    If you feel like you covered what you want, hit high and low prices to fit guest's budgets and the one place you registered is somewhere most of your guest have access to (if you have several guest that aren't tech savy, then make sure your one place has a real store your guest can physically go to) - then one should do.I have four - Macy's, Crate & Barrel, Target and REI.  I love some accessory stuff at C&B (but few of my guest live near one), with Macy's and Target I was able to add household items at different price points and we're big campers so REI.
  • Options
    Most people do 1-3.  If there are things you want that aren't availabe at your one place, or if the store you chose doesn't have locations near a lot of your guests, you'll want to add another.  If you have everything you want and it is convenient for your guests, there's no need to add any more.We did BB&B and added Macy's b/c Macy's carried the china we wanted and BB&B didn't.
  • Options
    I would register at 2 or 3. Some guests may not live near the one store you chose and they may appreciate a choice. I don't order wedding gifts online because I don't like to pay shipping, so it would be nice to have two stores to choose from.
  • Options
    I would pick 2 or 3.  Make sure at least one has a brick and mortar a reasonable distance from your guests, as a lot of people are uncomfortable ordering online.  I would do one traditional registry (big department store - macys, Penneys, whatever) then one specialty type store (BB&B, Williams-Sonoma, etc). 
  • Options
    We registered at four, mainly because our guests will be coming from three different parts of the country. Macy's (Boston and Chicago) has our crystal and housewares, Borsheim's (in Omaha, where there isn't a Macy's) has our china and serving pieces, Pottery Barn (locations in all three cities) has our linens and other home decor items, and Target (also accesible to all) has more affordale housewares. We didn't love the idea of four registries, but we wanted to make sure that every guest could choose a gift that fit ther budget even if they didn't want to shop online.
    Wedding Date: January 16th, 2010

Cycle #5: BFP on June 14, 2011 -- Due Date: February 23, 2012 -- Born: February 26, 2012
  • Options
    Three or four may be average.Wm.Sonoma, Pottery Barn, Crate & Barrel and one speciality shop for bedding, Shabby Chic, now out of business :(If you're doing good china & crystal, throw in a good local department store or Tiffany's if you have rich family ;)
  • Options
    I am thinking 2 places, at the most 3
  • Options
    I'm registered at Target and no where else. I considered having another registry because I had the same question you did, but Target has their Club Wedd registry and I've been able to find everything I need and want there. Some things are a little pricey and others are pretty cheap, and we have a lot of guests so there is enough variety for them to choose. What's most important is that you can find everything you need and your guests have enough to choose from. It was just easier for me to have one.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Registering at more than one place is not necessary but IMO it is a courtesy for your guests. When guests live in different areas one store may be more convenient than another. Also, depending on where you register, you may not be able to hit a variety of price ranges at just one store. Multiple stores may allow you to choose gifts in a variety of price ranges.
  • Options
    I personally think that two is best. If you can find everything that you're looking for between two places, then there is definitely no need to add a third or fourth. My fiance and I registered at Target and Walmart. We figured that both are major stores, so all of our guests would have access to at least one. There are a couple of items that we want from other stores, so we personally asked close family members to get those items for us instead of creating another registry. Maybe our taste is just more on simple side, but we saw no need to register at more than those two places. Plus, we wanted to keep price in mind so that our guests don't feel like they have to spend more than they would like to on a gift. I don't see the point in registering at a pricey store when less expensive places will work just as well for us, you know?We attended a couple weddings recently where the couples had registered at three or four places and it seemed rather confusing. We had access to all the stores, but it was difficult to keep them straight and remember what to get from where.So I would personally recommend two registries! :)
  • Options
    I would make sure you register at least one location easily accessible to your guests. 
  • Options
    I also think that 2 to 3 is the norm.I would do at least 2 places.  It is helpful to your guests.  All your guest may not have the one store you registered at near them.  We did 3 and one of them is amazon.com which is near everyone :-)I think anything more than 4 is overkill. 
  • Options
    We did four, but ours include BBB, Dillard's, Sears (for tools), and Traveler's Joy (honeymoon registry). We decided not to do Target because I know three people who registered there and had a lot of problems when they needed to return items. I don't remember exactly, but I think it was that if you don't have a receipt they won't take it, even if it's on your registry. Seems odd, but you may want to check on that because that would be really unfortunate if you were stuck with stuff you changed your mind about.I felt like four was too many at first, but the stuff we want (china/crystal/kitchen items) are split between BBB and Dillard's and Sears has so much good stuff that my fiance will need to fix our house (and we had a couple's shower so he actually got a lot of it!). The honeymoon registry was the last place we did only because we felt like we didn't have a lot to register for since my fiance already has a house and a lot of stuff, and we have a big wedding so we wanted to give our guests a variety of things to give us, even if it is just money for us to spend on our honeymoon.
  • Options
    I wouldn't go over three but if you are able to find everything at one place then that's awesome. I had three myself. Macy's Target Walmart. Three different price ranges and you can usually find one of these stores where you live.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I think 2 is good, but 3 isn't necessary over-kill. Maybe they did it for different price ranges, or because they wanted certain things and could only achieve their wish list by using three places. Gift giving is optional anyway, and most people like having options. I don't think anyone would see you as greedy if you registered at 3 locations, even if you had like 200 items at each. If it's stuff you need/want, go for it. No one is going to think much of it. They will probably enjoy the variety. I would say though that 3 is probably the max I would do, unless I threw in a honeymoon registry. That allows people who just want to give you money help you achieve the honeymoon you really want. Don't go too far, but 2 or 3 places is fine by me :)
  • Options
    At least 2. 3-4 is good.  I hate BBB with a passion and refuse to shop there unless I absolutely have to.  Giving your guests at least 2 options is a courtesy you should extend if possible. 
  • Options
    we're registered at 4 but only for a few items at 2 of thosewe're doing Dillards for our China and luggage Williams Sonoma for cookbooks and some accessories *we wanted the stand mixer but his mom surprised us with one so yay* Our big registries are at Target and Bed Bath & Beyond
  • Options
    We ended up regiostering at Macy's and target, we found everything that we needed. But this guy I work with that is getting married registered at Crate & Barrel, Target, and Bed Bath & Beyond, and hes bragging that they registred for the same items at each store. I dont get it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPicMarch Siggy Challenge
  • Options
    I think 2 - we are doing BB&B and a honeymoon registry online.We had a friend only register at BB&B and by time we got to gift shopping the registry was completely fulfilled - so if you are doing one...make sure it has LOTS of stuff on it.
  • Options
    I would say at least 3 different places.  I would recommend Target, they offer a wide variety and very affordable prices!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards