South Asian Weddings
Options

Sari wrapping

I am not sure how to wrap a sari. Does anyone know who is supposed to do this on the wedding day?

Re: Sari wrapping

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I know a lot of girls in Bangladesh go to a salon which usually has someone who can tie the sari really well there. Don't close aunties or other female relatives usually help with this?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto on pp-alot of girls have a lady come to where they are getting ready or have their FILs/aunties do it. I know the SA bio has a link with some directions. http://krishnaswami08.googlepages.com/shopping
    ExerciseMilestone
  • Options
    Meghana55Meghana55 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Depending what area you're located in, you can hire someone to come and drape the sari on you.  Many SA hair/make-up artists will provide this service for an additional fee.  However, if you have an auntie that is skilled in it, they can drape it on you.  I had my mom and a few aunties helping me out. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It depends on what area your IL's are from.  North Indians will typically wrap the sari around and have the long pleats end up coming from the back and over the right shoulder.  South Indians will wrap it so the long pleats are folded in the front over the left shoulder.  Once you know that -I also say ask the IL's to show you how to tie one a couple of times to get the hang of it. It's also best if you designate one person (and only one person) to tie your sari the day of so that you don't have 20 women haggling over you. Every bride may want some fawning over-  but 20 SA aunties may be a little too much! ;)GL!
  • Options
    katie978katie978 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was thinking the same thing ESJ said ... there are different ways of doing it.  I have noticed that when my FMIL puts it on me it doesn't look nearly as cute as when my young SA friends where saris.  (#1 - the skirt part is up around my belly button).  Do you have any friends who could help on the day of the wedding?  Or does FI have a sister or cousin who could help?  Might be a fun way to get that person involved/make her feel important too.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    There are lots of great videos on You Tube that teach how to tie a sari in different styles.  You could even do it yourself with an extra set of hands to help you hold the pleats/etc to pin them in place. :-)
  • Options
    Meghana55Meghana55 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Also - if you have access to a SA person that knows how to do it, I'd suggest you get an in-person lesson if you're planning on doing it yourself.  Even though I'm SA and I've worn a sari a bunch of times and I've seen it done thousands of times - when I attempt to put it on myself, it never looks totally perfect!  Depending on the fabric, it can be difficult to pleat the sari
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards