New York-New York City
Options

Saturday or Sunday?

I've never posted anything before, but just started getting into wedding planning mode and have come across my 1st big decision and was hoping to hear some of your opinions.My fiance and I have narrowed down our reception to 2 places, but in order to stay in our budget, at one of the places we would have to have the wedding on a Sunday instead of Saturday. Here are the specifics, if you have a minute, let me know what you think our best bet is, we really like both places, so any input would be great!Option A- Smaller room (fits 240, our list has 262 as of today); we can afford a Saturday night in Prime Season (even thought I think I will pick December); the party will be 6 hours without the viennese & no seperate cocktail room; very few options for outdoor pictures; centerpieces included in price; approx 30 mins from our homeOption B- Larger and more beautiful room with 2 levels (fits up to 400); would be restricted to a Sunday in December; 5 hour party with seperate cocktail hour room (indoor & outdoor); Viennese table; Lots of places for outdoor pictures with all these fun lights and waterfalls; No centerpieces included & would be approx 10K more than Option A; approx 40 mins from our homePlease let me know what you think.

Re: Saturday or Sunday?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    If you can afford the extra $10k and it's not a big deal for your family and guests to attend a Sunday affair, then I'd go with option B. Most places know how its spacing works.  If you are already at 262 for a space fitting 240 - it's not going to look great.  Also, sometimes just because a venue throws a lot of extras in (in this case the CPs) doesn't mean it's the better option. Since you haven't mentioned exact venue, which might have a lot to say in choosing A or B, I'd do some reviews on this and other boards (weddingbee.com) and see how other brides/couples reviewed the experience.  Then you'll know which one works for you. Also, try to work out a few things that you may not need.  Example for option B, do you really need a viennese table?  If you get rid of it, maybe that frees up money for the centerpieces.  Don't be afraid to try to negotiate things to get to a price you are comfortable with.  GL.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Heyyy! Welcome to the board!! First of all congratulations! Personally, I like Saturday weddings better because people do not leave early if they have work the next day but looking at your two options, I would have to say option B. You want a larger room because you want people to feel comfortable and be able to move around a lot. A seperate cocktail room is alwaysss better I believe. People love the Vienesse hour lol. I know thats what I look forward to lol. A place for outdoor pictures is always a nice bonus for you and your guests. I love the idea of an outdoor cocktail hour too. You can always find centerpieces at a florist that will work with your budget. But if you can afford option B, I would say go for it! It sounds like you are leaning towards option B anyway ;0) Good luck in all your planning!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it really depends on how comfortable you are paying an extra $10K, and how certain you are having the wedding in December.  If those two things are no problem, I say definitely go with Option B.  It sounds more gracious, like a better fit for your size, and like you are way more excited about the space.  Sunday weddings are wonderful - I had one, and tons of people not only stayed until the end but went out for an after-party with us.  Good luck, and congratulations!
  • Options
    PrissyPPrissyP member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do either of the venues have a minimum? If you've just started planning and you're at 262, that can easily change once invitations go out and RSVP's come back. I often see people posting about being below minimums and looking to fill seats since they're paying for them anyway.If you're going to have the wedding in december either way, outdoor spaces might not matter too much, especially if its a cold day.I prefer Saturday weddings too but thats just personal preference. GL with your planning!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The major problem with Option A is what are you going to do if 250 people RSVP yes.  Also, even if you have 240/230 it seems like it will be cramped.Curious where these places are.  Depending on your pp you could easily find a place in NJ with that type of minimum for a saturday night peak season.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I prefer saturday weddings but I don't have a problem with Sunday weddings. However, I would not pay $10K more to have my wedding on a Sunday during the off season (and this is coming from someone who is getting married in December), plus you're getting an hour less and no centerpieces.IMO I would keep looking at reception places.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Are these really you're only two options? I'd probably keep on searching until you find something that you don't need to comprmise anything with.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    On the questions Saturday vs Sunday - I think a lot depends on how many out of town guests you expect. If most of your guests are local Sunday isn't usually a problem but if you have a lot of out of town guests Saturday is usually better for folks. Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards