South Asian Weddings
Options

Indian Inspired Centerpiece

I am wracking my brain trying to think of Indian inspired NON FLORAL centerpiece ideas. Since we are on a strict budget I decided to only DIY our bouquets and bouts. So far all I can think of is Moroccan Lanterns and candles but I don't know if it is substantial enough. And maybe a sari type overlay or a sari style table runner? I am also incorporating the henna style into my paper products. I just don't want it to look empty. If anyone has any idea pics they can share or a bio to point me in the right direction then that would be appreciated!

Re: Indian Inspired Centerpiece

• Options
    Meghana55Meghana55 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think lanterns wouldn't be substatial enough.  I had friend do chinese lanterns and surround them with 4 small bowls with a floating flower.  It looked really pretty! A sari overlay/table runner would be great.  D2M did something like this (i also did small overlays but not indian-like).  You could find something in reds and golds and have a large fishbowl in the center and fill it with various fruits (lemons, limes, apples, etc.).  Or do the sari overlay with a tall vase/branch centerpiece with crystals.  Hmm, I'm sure more ideas will come to me.... 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've also seen peacock feathers as well as colorful bangles incorporated into the centerpieces. A wedding I went to over the weekend had Indian flower pots with sari type fabric wrapped around it- pretty cool.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I went to a wedding a few months ago that did tall vases with lights at the bottom and beads on top and they had two small elephant figurines hanging in the vases. They were really cute and simply done. Also, depending on your color scheme, I really like the fruit idea -- using cut up oranges, lemons looks really nice in vases or even apples that aren't cut. Candles are always a great go to option as well -- if you took a vase or two and did floating candles or even a cluster of them for shorter centerpieces. We are doing the lanterns for some of the centerpieces at the Sangeet and we are also doing small Indian statues for the other tables.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Neha- those links were perfect! where did you get those candle holders from? That is the exact look I was going for but I was trying to figure out if I should use lanterns of candle holders. Since I can buy lanterns in bulk I was just going to do that. I need to book mark all of those links. I also like the little elephant idea...so pretty!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was also considering statues too but I don't know if that would be weird since we don't really practice a religion. My mom is buddhist so we have the buddha statue theme throughout our house and I kind of like that idea...But I don't know where I would be able to find the statues that are relatively inexpensive...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I like your idea about the lantern.You could also take a large square of fabric and paint a rangoli design on it and then put an aarti plate of clay diyas and flower petals on in the center of the fabric. :-)Another idea is to have a tiered tray of different sweets with some flower petals around it.
  • Options
    reenavreenav member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Are you planning on giving out Indian sweets to guests? You can stack pretty gift boxes of indian sweets as the centerpiece and each guest can leave with one. http://media.charlotteobserver.com/smedia/2009/04/01/17/886-centerpiece.standalone.prod_affiliate.138.jpgother ideas:Find inexpensive frames in different sizes and fill them with pictures of the bride and groom, friends, and family. Arrange them at different heights, facing outward in the center of the table. use glass vases in varying sizes to display favorite candies or cookies in wedding colors. Give each guest a small box or bag to fill up as their favors.
  • Options
    ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Tall vases of branches and peacock feathers, perhaps wrapped in some Indian-inspired ribbon?
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    where  can I get brass or terracotta thaals and urlis (plate and urns)?? I saw them in the Indian design blog. That center piece idea is great. Otherwise I can get glass bowls with water and some flowers there.  
    DS was born in April 2012 at 31 weeks - 45 days in NICU ?If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands?? M.B.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards