Michigan-Grand Rapids

Getting Married at a Park...need help!

Hello!My name is Sarah, and I am new to the boards. I thought I would make a quick post and see if you guys might be able to help me out or give me some ideas.My fiance and I are having our wedding (May 22, 2010)  and reception at Townsend Park. We have the enclosed shelter reserved for the reception and in case it rains.I'm just wondering for those of you out there that have gone to a wedding at a park or are having yours at one think about the food? I'm probably having around 100 people and want to stick to a budget and not go crazy. I was kinda thinking that I would do a buger/hot dog thing that we could do ourselves and with the help of family. Now I'm thinking that is stupid and I should just get somebody to cater. Do you guys have any ideas for me? Thanks for your help. If anybody is having their wedding at Townsend Park, I'd lvoe to talk to you too!
Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Getting Married at a Park...need help!

• Deeder522Deeder522 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome Sarah, I think I may be able to help you some. I am having my wedding and reception @ Townsend Park this September 19th. We are using a caterer. We started out with the Idea of Build your own burger bar, but then switched to BBQ Pulled pork and Chicken Tenders. We having 3 sides and 3-4 Drink options. You could do burgers & Dogs, But you will most likely rent a grill. There is one on site but not big enough for a wedding. There is also a working kitchen. We decided to use a caterer b/c even for a small wedding (ours is under 85) its a lot of food to prepare and we wanted our families to be able to enjoy themselves w/o the worry of maintaining the food. Cost of food. Plan for $1000.00. Its seems like a lot but it really isn't. Hope this helped some. Let me know if you have any other question about the park?
  • AmoroAgainAmoroAgain member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would definitely cater.  You don't want your family to have to worry about food the day of your wedding, and standing over a grill!  And with 100 people, you'll have a hard time feeding them all in a timely manner without things getting cold.  Get a caterer, and you'll feel much more relaxed about everything!
  • shrades77shrades77 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Amoro - I would highly recommend you get some sort of caterer, because trying to have your family do it would be too stressful.  It sounds like Deeder has a great option - I love the idea of the build your own burger bar.GL!
    **Rachel & Andy - 9.6.09**

Vendor Reviews l Pro Pic Preview image

• edited December 2011
    I agree with PPs, get a caterer.  My sister thought she would save a bunch of money and DIY the food.  Needless to say it did not work out.  Her MIL and like half of our family was in the kitchen the whole time & my sister had to deal with all the food drama/issues.  I think you will save yourself a headache if you just get a caterer. 
    sad
  • edited December 2011
    Hi, We're doing our rehearsal dinner in a park. We originally thought about doing the food ourselves, but decided to go with a caterer. We're using Affordable Feasts and their prices are really reasonable. They'll grill on site for you and are really flexible and easy to work with. So far the experience with them has been good and if you're interested I can let you know how everything goes after our rehearsal dinner on Friday.
  • edited December 2011
    My son works @ Brann's Catering and I know they go off-site, and, do a lot of grilling!!!!  Their food is excellent(we have been to 2 taste-testings, and, were stuffed each time!!!)  Also, we are using them for our wedding, but, it isn't in a park!!!!  HTH
  • iranreallyfariranreallyfar member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've had 2...maybe 3 cousins use Brann's catering, one at their hall and one/two off site. Both were great, their food is excellent and very affordable. I know they would both highly recommend using them.
  • SarahRN2005SarahRN2005 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks girls for the advice...I'm definitely going to go with getting food catered. It will be a major stress relief!LizaGR, have you tried the food from Affordable Feast? I live near there and saw it, there prices are pretty reasonable too.
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I know I’m a little slow on the post here but welcome to the group! I agree with catering just so you and your family can relax and enjoy the day. We are doing a tent reception for our vow renewal and have decided to go with a pig roast. SUPER cost effective - around $3 per person. For sides and apps we are hiring a friend of my parent’s who is an amazing cook and has done a couple other events we’ve attended - that will be around $6 per person. He will do all the cooking, delivery, set-up/clean up, maintain throughout the meal, and carve the meat. Doing coke, diet coke, and lemonade for drinks. With wine and gin or vodka for alcohol. I have also been to a wedding in a park where they hired a caterer to do side recipes (potato salad, baked beans, corn on the cob roasted in the husks) and appointed an aunt to pick it all up, deliver to site, and watch through meal (she's the type that would have been doing it anyway hahaha). They then asked two uncles to bring and handle the grills (pulled pork, bbq chicken, hot dogs). The dessert followed the bbq feel by being a dessert bar of pies, cupcakes, cookies, etc. with them cutting a small 2 tier cake. Not sure what it cost. The only down side that I saw was with the bbq chicken - amazing taste but man was it messy, not a great combo with dress clothes for some :) LOL
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards