Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Playing a song when lighting unity candle

My fiance and I are going to light a unity candle during our ceremony and I had a question about something...i've seen online where some couples play music while they light the candle...my question is, is that something you have to do or can you just have the officiant read the reading? And if playing a song is something that you do, how long is it? Thanks in advance!

Re: Playing a song when lighting unity candle

• Options
    I'm a church organist.  If there's a unity candle in a ceremony in our church it usually works this way.  Officiant gives a little talk about the reason for the unity candle.  Then the B&G go up and light it and then step back.I generally play a piece that I can easily tailor to "cover" the moment-the time that it takes to walk up, light the candle, and step back.  I usually suggest a couple of pieces to the bride and groom that can be gracefully drawn to an end when they finish.  Otherwise you have 2-3 minutes of staring at each other which can be uncomfortable.You don't have to have music.  But it's always nice to have a little sound in the background instead of just the silence that it would be without it.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    Do you have any suggestions? Because everything I was thinking of would end up being way too long. I wasn't going to have an organist, I was going to have someone operating the church sound system. All the music for the ceremony will be pre recorded. Thanks so much for your help!
  • Options
    anastasia, if you're prerecording your music, then it will be easy.  Choose a song that is meaningful for you, and find a 30-45 second part of it that you really like.  Pre-record that. In my opinion, that's plenty of time, but if you have to walk up steps to get to the candle and then back down (or if the candle is pretty far away from where you are for the ceremony) then expand your time to 60-75 seconds.  (It really doesn't take long to pick up a taper and light a candle~try it at home and time it!)I like to use "Love Will be Our Home" because I am able to easily and gracefully bring it to an end once B&G have gotten back to their spot.GL
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    Thanks a lot! :) That's one less thing to worry about now!
  • Options
    Thanks for all your help!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards