Canada-Ontario

Vintage Wedding Dress

Hey ladies (amd possibly gents)I would love to have a vintage (used) dress for my big day. I am living in Thunder Bay but will be visting family down in the Toronto area (Hamilton, GTA) from time to time before the wedding.Does anyone know of any good thrift shops in the area where I might find something (looking for anything from the 20s - 70's). It doesnt have to be a wedding shop as long as they have quailty wares.Thanks Alot

Re: Vintage Wedding Dress

• edited December 2011
    hey! im in hamilton. here are some you can check out:value village: one at the stoney creek border by eastgate mall, and one on uppper wentworth near lime ridge mall.deja vu: at king & hess (got my crinoline here for $10!)out of the past: on king, just west of wellington.i know you wont know where these streets are but im sure your family would. these are all major streets/areas of hamilton :)
  • edited December 2011
    OH - forgot to add, none of these are wedding shops at all. they are just regular thrift clothes stores but i have seen wedding dresses at all of them.
  • edited December 2011
    not sure if this is as 'vintage' as you want..but i am selling my dress that i wore this summer. used, but only worn once! i live in hamilton. see dress info below...i cant get pics into this text box...so email me and i will send you somejennrollins@hotmail.com Melissa Sweet LIAI have decided to sell my beautiful Melissa Sweet-Lia gown. It is a gorgeous ivory, double-faced satin, strapless gown with a mermaid (fit-to-flair) silhouette. It was such a beautiful part of my day, but I don’t have an emotional attachment to fabrics....that’s just not my style. I have received hundreds of compliments on this dress, as it is classic, clean, simple and stunning! The gown was worn only once and was purchased brands new. It has NEVER been hemmed, as I wore 4 inch heels. It has been cleaned and pressed but not preserved so you can do any alterations you may need. I purchased this gown in a size 4 and did some alterations to the upper bodice. There are cups in the chest that can be removed, or worn instead of a bra. This dress price also includes the work that was put in to creating a bustle. Regular price was $5200 (not including alterations to bodice/ bustle OR the cleaning and pressing!) Asking price is $2200.
  • NukkeNukke member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you're in Toronto, you should check out the numerous vintage clothing shops in Kensington market.  Otherwise, there are pricier vintage stores on Queen st. such as Cabaret Vintage Clothing, Fashion Crimes, and Frou Frou Vintage.  These stores have already picked through all the junk and sell the vintage gems they've found/restored.  There are lots of stores, really, and you will definitely be able to find something you want!Best of luck :)
    Our Wedding Website
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • Becky18Becky18 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you thought about the Stephanie James line?  It's carried at Sash & Bustle in Toronto.  She's the only designer I know of that specializes solely in vintage-style dresses.  Sooooo, they're not actually vintage.... but they look like it.  They're very cool.  Google it; maybe it's another option....
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards