April 2012 Weddings

Got after-wedding blues?

Now that we're all done with planning it's kinda a "hmmm and huh" feeling. I find that I'm extending the feeling that you get during planning by going through the name change stuff and thank you cards and making albums of wedding photos and honeymoon photos and a wedding scrapbook. I found a good article when searching for "married, now what?" lol 

It put some things in perspective and thought I'd share with my other April 2012 girls :)

Jamie 9/1/2013 BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Got after-wedding blues?

• Great article!  I'm still in the "thank God it's over" mentality, but I have a lot of things I wanted to do (like reclaiming furniture, learning how to make wine for starters) that I just didn't have time to do during all the wedding planning, so I'm looking forward to having time to dive into some new hobbies.  I know a lot of women get into this "now what" funk, and I don't want to go there.  I loved my wedding, and loved planning, but I don't want to get depressed just because it's over.

Thanks for sharing this!  Very insightful.  :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • I am in the "now what?" as far as keeping busy, so that's where the cards and scrapbook come in. I am definitely glad all the planning and wedding is over, too. Sounds like you have lots of things to keep you busy! 

We'll be making some type of presentation of our honeymoon caving experiences to share with DH's caving group at their monthly meeting, so that will be something that I'll be working on, as well. 

• meganb1977meganb1977 member
    First Comment
    edited May 2012

A lot of things went wrong with our wedding, people stirred up drama, and it was a huge disaster.  We had things we knew we were going to have to work on between the two of us when we returned from our honeymoon, even before the bad experience on the wedding day magnified it.  So we definitely aren't feeling 100% good about being married.  Someone I was talking to mentioned that the "newlywed bliss" is a myth and about half of people have mixed feelings about it.  So for anyone who has some blues and blahs, they definitely are not alone! 

Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
  • Great article! I'm with bigrout, I'm so glad planning is over with. I did a lot of DIY stuff to save money, so that will more than likely turn into something, but first I need to get all the leftover wedding items out of my living room!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2012-weddings_got-after-wedding-blues?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:05427f07-4ba2-44d6-9271-99a7af1ee5c0Discussion:da71d05c-a914-44b6-b26f-ffc11b59fbd0Post:f3cc3c85-715b-4869-9e5d-87b5c9d76a97">Re: Got after-wedding blues?</a>:
    [QUOTE]A lot of things went wrong with our wedding, people stirred up drama, and it was a huge disaster.  We had things we knew we were going to have to work on between the two of us when we returned from our honeymoon, even before the bad experience on the wedding day magnified it.  So we definitely aren't feeling 100% good about being married.  Someone I was talking to mentioned that the "newlywed bliss" is a myth and about half of people have mixed feelings about it.  So for anyone who has some blues and blahs, they definitely are not alone! 
    Posted by meganb1977[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Aww I'm so sorry to hear that :( I hope that it's something that you will work through and be able to get behind you at some point. Everyone deserves to be happy, especially on your wedding day.

</div>
  • Great article!!!! Im with a few PP that im still in the thank god its finally over stage. I did a lot of DIY as well on top of all the normal planning so im just happy to be able to sleep at normal hours again HAHAHA to many late DIY nights. On the plus side to keep busy I start my adult summer soccer league next week so im happy to get back to playing soccer which will give me something to do. Not to mention im going to start redoing our whole house room by room as we are both ready to change it up and update.
    Photobucket
    April 2012 April siggy challenge: How I relax image
    My Barely There Bio updated 7/12!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2012-weddings_got-after-wedding-blues?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:05427f07-4ba2-44d6-9271-99a7af1ee5c0Discussion:da71d05c-a914-44b6-b26f-ffc11b59fbd0Post:252082a1-4ce1-4ecc-b6a8-0ae36736847a">Re: Got after-wedding blues?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am in the "now what?" as far as keeping busy, so that's where the cards and scrapbook come in. I am definitely glad all the planning and wedding is over, too. Sounds like you have lots of things to keep you busy!  We'll be making some type of presentation of our honeymoon caving experiences to share with DH's caving group at their monthly meeting, so that will be something that I'll be working on, as well. 
    Posted by redfallon[/QUOTE]

OMG you guys cave?!  That's awesome!  My H and I have gone a couple times locally and are kind of addicted to it, and we're always looking for caves to explore wherever we go.  Where did you go on your honeymoon?  I can't remember :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Will's been caving since college. I have gone on a couple trips with him and now since the honeymoon I've been in a total of four caves. The honeymoon was in Belize. We stayed at the Caves Branch Jungle Lodge and it was amazing!

Our officiant is also a caver in Will's caving group who's been caving since at least the 1960s. It's a very neat hobby to have. There are places that you can go that literally no one has ever been before. 
  • Across the water from the aquarium I work at is a hotel that has outdoor weddings every weekend.  I used to always see the weddings and think "Oh, when my wedding...".  Now seeing those weddings is a sad reminder that it's over.

BTW, I get post-______ depressed about everything when it's over...graduating high school, graduating college, my shower, and now this.
    Follow Me on Pinterest

• rlavachrlavach member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    I definitely have some post-wedding blues. I did stress a lot, but I had a really awesome plan for our wedding and it came together beautifullly. It's just so weird to think that it's over. My new life with my husband is wonderful, but it's hard for me to adjust. I went from single, living home with my parents to married & living with my husband. Managing my time with job 1, job 2, cooking, cleaning & cats...not easy. 

My plan is to occupy my previously wedding-devoted time with my 2nd job. Thing is, I've been out of it for so long that it's taking me time to muster the courage to throw myself back in it. I can do it, just need to push myself.
  • In Response to Re:Got afterwedding blues?:[QUOTE]...I went from single, living home with my parents to married living with my husband. Posted by rlavach[/QUOTE]

That is an adjustment, for sure. We lived together a little over a year before the wedding so not much changed with that.
  • It's been 2 weeks since my wedding, but i feel like i've still been so busy that i haven't really had time to say now what. We still have a pile of gifts in our family room and writing all of our thank you's and doing scrapbook stuff has kept me busy so far. Its good that we still have our honeymoon to look forward to next month, but i wish it were sooner!
    Photobucket
  • rlavachrlavach member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2012-weddings_got-after-wedding-blues?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:05427f07-4ba2-44d6-9271-99a7af1ee5c0Discussion:da71d05c-a914-44b6-b26f-ffc11b59fbd0Post:c579ac11-d5f8-4dca-9ee7-f973845b504b">Re:Got afterwedding blues?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Got afterwedding blues?: That is an adjustment, for sure. We lived together a little over a year before the wedding so not much changed with that.
    Posted by redfallon[/QUOTE]
    Trust me, it is! It's definitely a lot to take in at once. I cried my eyeballs out the first night home from our honeymoon. It's not that I was sad or thought I made a mistake. It was that I was so overwhelmed at the thought of having a household and how I could possibly do everything at the same time. I've been doing OK so far, but I definitely need to get my DH to pick up the pace in helping me. He helps, but kinda gets pooped out after like an hour. I, on the other hand, am the energizer bunny that keeps running around like a crazy person. What can I do!!
  • Definitely make sure he helps out now.  If you get in the habit of doing all or most of the housework now, it can be really hard to change that pattern later.  Plus, it's good for both of you to realize how much work laundry (or whatever) is, so that you properly appreciate when the other one does a chore.  Good luck!  That's a big adjustment, but it's wonderful to build a home with the one you love.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards